The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New Netflix docuseries

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bababooeyfett
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Bababooeyfett

New Netflix docuseries Empty
PostSubject: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2017 7:54 am

There is a new docuseries on Netflix, "The Toys That Made Us." There are four episodes, about an hour in length. The first episode focuses on the history of Star Wars toys. The other episodes focus on Barbie, He-Man, and GI-Joe toys.

Also check out a documentary on the history of Star Wars toys, "Plastic Galaxy." This was streaming on Amazon at the time I watched it.

Finally, there is Mark Hamill's "Pop Culture Quest" streaming on Amazon/Comic Con.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2017 11:56 am

I've watched Plastic Galaxy a few times and it's a great documentary!
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2017 4:34 pm

I will have to watch that Smile.
Back to top Go down
TheJabbaWookie
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
TheJabbaWookie

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2017 5:56 pm

I’ve watched the Star Wars and MOTU episodes. Both fascinating in their own rights. Star Wars for the mind-boggling deal Kenner got off George Lucas for the toy rights and MOTU for the inter-wrangling over who came up with the He-man concept.
Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2017 9:51 am

awesome im gonna watch the star wars one right now!!! thanks What a Face
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2017 9:55 am

Plastic galaxy is fantastic. I bought it when it came out to dvd as the creator was advertising them on rs before it was live anywhere to see. He did a great job on it. I will have to check out this new one.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2017 11:49 am

I watched The Toys That Made Us: Star Wars episode yesterday and thought it was really good. It was informative for new and older collectors, fun, and a lot of cool toys were shown as well as clips from the movies and interviews with the people from Kenner.
Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2017 12:00 pm

watched it yesterday , loved it!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Only watched the Star Wars one so far, was a great documentary that I thought did a great job of explaining the toys and how they came about in a way that was interesting to none toy fans, I say that because at the end the wife said that she enjoyed that.
I’m looking forward to watching all the others.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 04, 2018 6:02 pm

Just finished the Star Wars episode. I really enjoyed it!

It had a handful of more information than Plastic Galaxy had, both great watches, though! cheers cheers

And the brown sock always gets me. lol!
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2018 1:34 pm

I did wonder watching this, that during the interviews with all them Kenner employees if all the Star Wars stuff around them was there’s or were they props?
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 11:29 am

Mike, I reckon most of that stuff belonged to the guys being interviewed. But yeah, who knows, maybe the producers did say: 'we'll just leave this playset here and these figures here is that okay with you'.
I wonder why they couldn't track down anyone to interview who had a real RF Fett, instead of showing a Poon repro?

I thought the MOTU episode was really enjoyable too. I also watched the Barbie and G.I.Joe one - again fascinating toy history from concept to toy shelves. The G.I.Joe was also enjoyable because they covered a lot of the 12 inch line as well as the 3.75 inch.
I was hoping they would have made some references to overseas licenses like Palitoy's Action Man and Action Force, but there's only so much they can cram into an episode I guess.

Anyone know what other toy lines they're planning on doing? Transformers? I hope they do Lego. Some die cast like Matchbox, Dinky and Corgi would be good too.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 12:13 pm

ArtooDetour wrote:

Anyone know what other toy lines they're planning on doing? Transformers? I hope they do Lego. Some die cast like Matchbox, Dinky and Corgi would be good too.

Hello Kitty, Star Trek (I heard John was a big influence on this one), Transformers and...

wait for it...

LEGO!!! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 1:10 pm

I watched this video about the history of lego, and I found the whole thing fascinating, how they started made of wood then evolved into what we know today.
Will post it here if anyone is interested.
Back to top Go down
dj121
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 07, 2018 5:30 pm

I found all four episodes quite good. I am looking forward to the next four, and hopefully they get renewed for a second season. There are so many other toy lines they could cover. Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters and Kenner Batman lines would be great!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Netflix docuseries   New Netflix docuseries I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Netflix docuseries

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-