The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Calrissian_Charm
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Calrissian_Charm

Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set   Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 11:24 am

Do you consider it appropriate to sell things in pieces or is that too "mercenary"? I have three playsets for sale, and if I sell the pieces, I could possibly makes 2x as much, depending on pricing. I don't want to gouge people who need a particular part, though. And I don't know if I like the idea of breaking a set. There are so many random pieces floating around.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Yzerman
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Yzerman

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set   Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 12:55 pm

I don't have a problem with people selling parts and pieces. Problem is if they price it way too high.
Back to top Go down
orangpendek
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set   Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 03, 2017 10:11 am

There's no real protocol when it comes to breaking up playsets vehicles or figures , collectors do it all the time either to increase profit or in the case of figures upgrading for better display . The risk with playsets or vehicles is it will take longer to sell the individual pieces and you may get stuck with the less desirable pieces . It seems to me you have answered your own question in your post , if you were only out for maximum profit there would be no need to start this thread ,if it feels inappropriate to you to break up the set then don't do it Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set   Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 03, 2017 8:18 pm

^^^ very well said: "it will take longer to sell the individual pieces and you may get stuck with the less desirable pieces" etc
Back to top Go down
Calrissian_Charm
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Calrissian_Charm

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set   Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 03, 2017 9:34 pm

I definitely get what you're saying. I was looking to get the opinions of others because my own feelings are conflicted. But someone paid me $15 for one small bit of a playset, and since it hasn't generated interest otherwise, I figured $15 was better than nothing. But, yeah, what am I left with? So, now I have to break it all down, and see what I can get
Back to top Go down
orangpendek
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set   Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2017 3:34 am

Don't worry about it , i'm sure the rest of the parts will sell with a bit of patience . In the bigger picture this will result in more complete playsets Very Happy
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set   Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 04, 2017 1:07 pm

I am not a fan. Same as having a figure with his weapon and separating the two because you can gain more profit.
Back to top Go down
TheJabbaWookie
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
TheJabbaWookie

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set   Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2017 2:51 pm

I sometimes used to break up figures (never playsets) but prefer to sell complete now. Sometimes if I have an incomplete figure or a beater and someone on the forums or Facebook wants something to complete their figure I will break it apart, because I know it’s helping them out.

I always by complete, buying incomplete is almost always more costly in the long run. Though I get why some people love a restoration project.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set   Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on sales protocol: Breaking a set

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1