The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster Empty
PostSubject: My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster   My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Ok all... I got myself a 3D printer for about $200 bucks and have been having a ball with it.  I've been printing things that I've wanted in my collection for a long time and been learning how to print with a 3D printer along the way.  My latest project took me about a month.  It's Han Solo's DL-44 Blaster and my god what a pain in the arse it was to print.  It contains about 37 individual pieces, from single pins to hold the knobs in place to the full body with handle.  But... the reason why it took so long is that I discovered I was using a defective spool of plastic filament that kept messing up the print.  Each filament spool contains 1kg (2.2lbs) of a weed eater like plastic string.  There's different types of plastic you can use... PLA, ABS, HIPS, Nylon, PETG, etc... but the big thing is that each string is 1.75mm in diameter (+/- 0.03mm) which would be fine.  The reason I say the spool I used was defective is that this filament had a +/-1.25mm tolerance that kept jamming while it was printing.  I think I printed each part at LEAST 5 times until I got an acceptable part.  Some came out better then others however, now that it's done I can bask in the Solo-y goodness that is his Blaster!  I put a couple of LEDs in the gun barrel and a trigger switch that would make them come on when the trigger was pulled (basically an over complicated flashlight).  The effect is awesome and here's the outcome... enjoy!

These first few images show what kind of problems I had with the black filament... every print that came from it had some serious issues.  When I switched over to the grey/silver filament, all those issues went away.  The muzzle that's painted silver on the right was the black filament, the one on the left was the reprinted one in the good filament.
My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster Img_2013
My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster Img_2011
My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster Img_2010
My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster Img_2012

This is blaster with just a base coating on it before weathering...
My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster Img_2014

This is the completed blaster... (I really loved how the printing pattern looked on the handles... so instead of smoothing and sanding them, I kept that look because it gave it more of a wooden feel to them).
My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster Img_2015
My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster Img_2019
My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster Img_2017
My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster Img_2016
My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster Img_2020

I even put some lens in the scope to give it a more authentic feel...
My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster Img_2018

And of course, when you pull the trigger, it lights up!
My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster Img_2021
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster   My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Wow, that turned out super great. How bizarre that a spool made for the printer would cause issues. Was it by the same company as the other one that worked?
Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster   My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 4:29 pm

trappedtexan wrote:
Wow, that turned out super great. How bizarre that a spool made for the printer would cause issues. Was it by the same company as the other one that worked?

Yeah that's what was so weird about it... I've been buying their filament for awhile now and never had a problem with them before. I guess it's just a bad batch this go round. I did contact them and let them know the 3 spools of filament was bad... and they were nice enough to send me 3 replacement spools free of charge. I haven't used them yet, but I'm hoping they don't end up turning out like this last batch!
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster   My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 24, 2017 4:13 pm

Wow, that's super impressive! Kudos for the paint job because you managed to get the metal and wood parts looking just right + flashing light and a lens. Also, can't believe that 3D printers are already so affordable...
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster   My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 11:32 pm

That is very cool looking and a fantastic job painting it. How did you do the lighting part that is really cool.

Back to top Go down
LrdSatyr8
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
LrdSatyr8

PostSubject: Re: My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster   My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2018 10:33 am

arohk wrote:
That is very cool looking and a fantastic job painting it. How did you do the lighting part that is really cool.

I used a momentary switch, a battery and an LED wired to the trigger. Worked out very well!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster   My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My 3D Printed DL-44 Blaster

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1