The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 2:59 am

trappedtexan wrote:
So this is a fairly common miscarriage then I take it? Sticking to that theory of combining just what's left makes a little sense. But one would think since the factory knew these were mixed up, if done on purpose, then they would have some sort of clearance stickers all over them i would imagine. I mean surely a retailer didn't pay their full cost for these if these were purposely packed with leftovers.  Very neat little item. Sucks that the bubble is cracking so badly due to crushing. Wonder if you can create a band of sorts to run around the border of the bubble to support it. Not tape so it doesn't stick but something similar to plastic wrap just the width of the side of the bubble.  

Hi Bryan - do you mean something like transparent cling film? (the type used for covering sandwiches or other bits of food). That's a good idea. Thanks!

Agree with you on the mixed-up cards.  Come to think of it I don't recall seeing any price stickers of any kind on any of the cards I have seen. So maybe this theory is not as good I initially thought thinking

I did wonder if they were bubble tests (i.e. mocked up figures, shipped out to a dummy address, to test the bubble sealing integrity during transit) but the bubble appears to be similar the one used for the original Yan solo MOC.

You're right though, although Meccano miscards are indeed very rare, the Luc (Luke Jedi) on a Yan Solo is does appear to one of the more commonest.

Here's a bit more info that I found this morning (SWCA).

Have a good day all!
Back to top Go down
TheSchwartz
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
TheSchwartz

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 8:29 am

Craig Well done and thanks for sharing this excellent Yan Solo example.

Really cool stuff.
Back to top Go down
Nico
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Nico

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 12:40 pm

Fantastic piece to add to your already awesome collection Craig, congrats mate cheers
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 12:53 pm

Yeah that is the plastic wrap I mean Craig. It may be hard to do since bubbles sometimes don't have 90° angles to cardbacks, would have to check to see.

Odd that none had any type of clearance sticker on it. I would more likely assume these were made for testing purpose or something other than retail. Either that or they truly are miscards and not made from leftovers, meaning that the factory really thought it was packing solo and no one even checked to see until some quantity of them was done. I could see that happening also and perhaps the factory didn't even know they had carded these wrong and shipped them out.
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 5:43 pm

@TheSchwartz and @Nico - thanks guys!

Thanks too Bryan! - I will try the cling film.

You got me thinking now... I rechecked all the ones I have photos for; none of them have price stickers. More to this mystery we must solve me thinks! thinking unsure study
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 7:01 am

That's such a cool moc, Craig, despite the damaged bubble. Agree keep it laid flat for now, maybe consider sticking an oversize modern bubble over it 'like a hood' with some cotton wool or similar placed in between the gap of the two bubbles by his feet. Super congrats on acquiring that!

Interesting ideas on the origins. For me it seems plausible that the factory packed these up with whatever they had at hand and offered them out to retailers at discount. No need for stickers as they would have left this up to retailers to mark them. Knowing the few that have survived, imagine how many were opened by kids to play with? It may also be possible these were packed at the factory at the end of a run and the employees were allowed to keep them. Again, many were opened but the few that stayed as moc ended up being given away, sold, swapped. Don't know. Whatever, it makes for a very good moc mystery Smile
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Paul! cheers

You work so hard, I haven't heard from you in a while! Glad to you see you are OK and thank you for those tips!

I like your idea about people just taking the overstock home and hence no price stickers...it definitely a mystery for the mystery machine!
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 7:55 pm

Blog Update #8 (06/04/2018)

Time to say good bye …

A small blog this weekend as the Elusive (to me) MOCs, that I have managed to track down are still in postal limbo – they are somewhere between here in the North East of Scotland and there in the West Coast of the USA.

However, it doesn’t matter; this post is about letting go rather taking hold. Below is my beloved Unitoys (Made in Hong Kong - Factory HT) Luke Jedi with original accessories and snap cape.

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Lukefo11

I have had this fella for nearly decade and he has been a cherished part of my collection. By comparing my MOCs and his twin brother (who has a slightly different COO marking) – I can place him originally to be carded on either a 1st Edition or 2nd Edition 65-A Back (HT) card back. He’s in great shape.

I wasn’t planning on selling him and (to be honest) I did have to think very hard before doing so, but a friend here on TIG called out for help as the figure and its unique accessories are quite hard to find. I did help in trying to find some on eBay, but the prices were crazy. Wanting to help, I decided to sell one of my own.

After Bryan’s and Rodolfo unselfish act of kindness to me, I thought I would pass on the good will and part a loved piece into someone else’s quest. It helped fuel my Luke Jedi focus back in the day, hopefully it will be cherished in a new focus…  

It’s a weird sensation that I feel, money wasn’t really an issue here (and I did get compensated for my loss), but it was more the felling that I helped someone else and that made me happy and smile.

Have a good weekend all!  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 10:13 pm

That's awesome. Was it Andy who got it? Just curious as I saw he was looking for one i think. It's really a fun thing when you can help out fellow collectors with stuff; best part of being in the community. Heck I enjoy hanging out and chatting and learning about stuff more than i enjoy the actual toys anymore. Though seeing my childhood wicket still brings a huge smile to my face; the kenner line, while still nice to see and occasionally compare things too, is not nearly as precious to me as the ledy line and both pale in comparison to the journey and friendships I made while collecting them.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2018 3:45 pm

Kudos for that Craigy, and it's a real minty LJ too. Sometimes letting things go is just as good as receiving. When I used to run prize compos I was aiming to give away one of my many loose Luke XW pilots as part of the prize. I found a couple of nice examples - it's not the easiest figure to find mint, was about to parcel one up then thought no... I searched out my most pristine and favourite LXWP, no paint rubs, perfect decals, tightest limbs and sent that. I tried to imagine how I would feel receiving such a nice figure and that's what swayed it really. On the other side of the coin I've also recieved prizes in TIG compos and it's a sweet feeling to find minty figures.
Back to top Go down
Mike_Z
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Mike_Z

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 pm

This thread is truly an inspiration... from the meticulous detail/knowledge @Craig T shares on Jedi Luke, to the sincere generosity of @trappedtexan and @Fito for bringing a smile to Craig's face during a challenging moment in life.

You guys are great. cheers
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 8:13 am

Blog Update #9 (27/06/2018)

2018 The Arc of Pennsylvania Charity Medallion …

A small package arrived this morning with two 2018 Luke Jedi - The ARC of Pennsylvania charity coins.

These are produced in conjunction with the Pennsylvania Star Wars Collecting Society (PSWCS) and you can read more about it here: PSWCS.com

As you can see, the image has a "vintage looking" Luke Skywalker and it's a really nice looking coin and with a decent weight to it.

There's some extra thumbnails below, where I have shown it next to a vintage POTF coin for size. Thanks to Bill Cable for highlighting this on his site, otherwise I would not have known.

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 2018_p10

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 2018_p11

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Bill_c11

Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Blog Update #10 (20/11/2018)

2018 Star Wars DC Area Collecting Club - Charity Pin…

A sincere little thank you to Andy Nicol (@Nico).

Andy picked up a DC Area Collecting Club Charity Pin - the proceeds of which benefit the Tradegy Assistance Program for Survivors. For this 2018 pin the character featured is Luke Jedi.

Andy received two of these and being the super chap that he is, sent his second to me without asking for anything in return. One thing that's help this hobby stay great is the kindness of others!

This pin has a green Washington DC obelisk as the sabre blade and is dedicated to the memory of super Luke Jedi focus collector: Bob Marinazzi, who sadly passed away earlier this year. Bob did a tremendous amout of Charity work and was a key member of the DC Collecting Club. It quite fitting that they have chosen to dedicate the pin to his memory.

<13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_6410>

Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Blog Update #11 (21/11/2018)

The Spoils of War and a New Discovery (for me) on ESB-h Kenner Baggies...

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_e610

A few months back, I took a walk into the "wild side" that is Face Book; A daunting feat in my eyes, as I prefer the anonymity and security that a Forum and eBay brings. Along with the good; there is also the bad and the real ugly! So the advice given to me from a few friends was to proceed with caution…

Despite this, I have to admit the sheer power that social media brings to the palm of your hand in an instant is epic; I have met some really great people, reunited friendships with past members of this very forum and uncovered a swathe of Luke Jedi items including some of the items I had to let go of when we were expecting the little guy.

Amongst the spoils of war, I have uncovered pre-production; the final snap cape MOC that I needed, Spanish PBP Luke Jedi cardbacks, Meccano and Macau related Luke Jedi items, more overstock Luke Jedi figures, more French mustard glasses and Baggies.

First-up on the blog, is a set of Luke Jedi ESB-h type baggies…

I have been mistaken (for a good number of years), in believing that the ESB-h baggie type was made by the Vendor “U.M.” of Taiwan. This is the same vendor that made “Made in Taiwan” COO Luke Jedi figures and who printed a “TJ” factory stamp code next to the POP on their carded figures. Every baggie I saw had the same combo… Taiwan painted face Luke with correct Taiwan accessories and cape wrapped in a green paper sleeve.

A few weeks ago, a Luke Jedi – made by the vendor Unitoys, was shown to me, still sealed inside an ESB-h baggie. I immediately dismissed it as fake. Unitoys made the “Made in Hong Kong” COO Luke Jedi and up till now, no Luke Jedi baggies from this factory have ever surfaced.

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_5610

The Unitoys Luke Jedi is highly desirable figure, as their production was halted early during in the 77-A back release. The moulds were sent to Mexico and the Lili Ledy Luke Jedi was born. I did inform the gent that, even though I didn’t think the baggie was legit, he did have a Unitoys Luke inside and that alone was worth a lot of money. The Gent came back a few days later, offering to sell it to me and I ended-up buying the baggie.

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_5613

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_5614

Once in my hands, I could see that the seal and baggie look legit, no evidence of reseal, same soft plastic baggie type and identical dimensions. Figure and Accessories were spot-on. This was a huge surprise to me as I couldn’t figure out how the Unitoys figure got inside.

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_5611

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_5612

I immediately started looking at all the ESB-h baggies for sale and to my surprise I could see figures packaged in the same ESB-h from a variety of factories – both Taiwan and Hong Kong. I never knew this.

It appears (as is the current acceptance amongst some baggie collectors) that the ESB-h baggie was made by Kenner in Cincinnati to keep-up with demand for baggies for its Catalogue Packs. When baggies of a certain character had run out, Kenner opened what carded figures they had to hand and bagged them-up in house to fill the gap. This why you can find both Taiwan and Hong Kong versions of the some characters in the same baggie. Although it’s appearing to be a Kenner-made universal baggie and not a specific Unitoys Luke Jedi baggie made in the Far East, this might be one’s only chance of getting a baggie specimen of this figure.

Last week another ESB-h Luke Jedi Baggie turned-up; this one does have the Taiwan figure inside, but it appears be an earlier one as the face paint is not as sharp and the green sleeve is missing. Maybe it was taken from an Early 65 Back as the cape is loose.

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_e611

Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2018 8:08 am

Blog Update #12 (22/11/2018)

Palitoy Factory Luke Jedi Overstock…

A part of my Luke Jedi focus this year has been to work on the preservation and display of the pieces that I already have. This display piece idea has been a long time in the making…

It’s a display case of 8 (mint & unused) Palitoy factory overstock Luke Jedi figures and accessories. These figures were made by the vendor Smile in the Far East and have the full “Hong Kong” COO stamp on the boot and come with the blue sabre. They are part of a huge quantity of Palitoy overstock that made its way to Australia after the Star Wars toy line died down in the 80s.

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_6310

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_6311

These are from the same “loose” stock that Palitoy would have used to card-up both Palitoy 65-B and 65-C cardbacks locally in Coalville, UK and also package earlier Luke Jedi Palitoy Baggies that had the blue sabre inside.

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_2419

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_3711

A special thank you goes to Nicholas Kazonis for supplying me with 6 mint overstock figures, including a special one with an unpainted hand.

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_6312

If you have time, you should read Nicholas’s story below on how he got the overstock figures… 1000s of them!

The majority of the overstock weapons in the display and the two complete Luke Jedi figures on the first step come from Dan’s warehouse find in Australia, which I bought from him around 2009 – his post is still on Rebel Scum:

Superdan's Palitoy Find in Australia

I wanted a focal point for this collection, so I invested in a lovely display case and steps from GW Acrylic and Iain’s Display Accessories was kind enough to support my project and supply me with another load of Palitoy Stands.

I am hoping to buy an acrylic Palitoy embossed sign to replace the little temporary cardboard one I have made and I need to source one more overstock blue sabre to make up number 8 on the bottom.

-----------------------

From Nicholas... "Palitoy factory Overstock "

Ok Craig the story goes like this, they originally came from the Palitoy factory in the mid to late 80's before that obviously they came from the Smile factory in HK. Someone that was working at Palitoy bought bucket loads of carded, baggie, loose figures and weapons as the sales plummeted. A mate here in Sydney bought a large amount of these and were sent to him via comet Miniatures (Tee Jays models) in London in the late 80's early 90's.

I was lucky enough to buy some of the uncirculated loose x-wings, Jedis, Madines, 4-loms, various baggie figures, carded Tri logo figures and weapons. My mate also bought many more vintage Star Wars from Japan i.e. Poppy, Takara and Tsukuda. He is a legend here and has been in the game for over 40 years. I try to sell the best examples I have available to all collectors at a very reasonable price. I have loads of jedis x wings and Madine's that have chips and paint marks from being in storage loosely in boxes for so many years.

MTFBWY Kind regards, Nicholas Kazonis

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_5814

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_5815

Last edited by Craig T on Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2018 9:34 am

That is a really cool pin from Andy. So a not newly discovered baggie type but newly discovered figure combo in the bag? I wonder if Frank has seen this figure combo or if he would know?  Great display on the palitoy Luke's. Speaking of palitoy did you hear about the prototypes recently found? Apparently palitoy was sent some Kenner protos (reasons are still under speculation) and one that was found was a Luke Jedi with alternate sculpting. Previously a Luke had been found in America but it was incomplete, this one has the whole thing there. More can be read on this here: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38027

And borrowing a pic from that proto thread:
13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Ed63a710
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2018 3:13 am

trappedtexan wrote:
That is a really cool pin from Andy. So a not newly discovered baggie type but newly discovered figure combo in the bag? I wonder if Frank has seen this figure combo or if he would know?  Great display on the palitoy Luke's. Speaking of palitoy did you hear about the prototypes recently found? Apparently palitoy was sent some Kenner protos (reasons are still under speculation) and one that was found was a Luke Jedi with alternate sculpting. Previously a Luke had been found in America but it was incomplete, this one has the whole thing there. More can be read on this here: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38027

And borrowing a pic from that proto thread:

@trappedtexan,

Hello Bryan, great to hear from you and hope all is well! Thanks for posting this, there was also discussion about it on the: {Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Vintage Collecting Group 1983 - 1985} group in Face Book, started by Matt Fox - the sculpts are genuine, I believe, but were not used to make additional moulds. Amazed that these were just lying around in the Engineer's Attic for the last 35 Years or so!

Recently Matt Fox hosted a panel with the Ex-Palitoy Employees who worked on Star Wars:

The Vintage Rebellion Podcast - is a great listen about all things Star Wars... See @Richard_H's post: ***Here***, for a link to Episode 54, where you can hear the full interview with the Ex-Palitoy Employees, who worked on Star Wars. Some great stories and memories... I won't spoil anything here!

Re question, "So a not newly discovered baggie type but newly discovered figure combo in the bag? I wonder if Frank has seen this figure combo or if he would know?"

Forgot to answer this... yes that's correct, the baggie is your standard ESB-h, but a new Luke Jedi COO inside. I spoke to Frank and to some other baggie collectors on the Baggie Focus Group. It appears this baggie was made in-house at Kenner to make-up shortfall in baggies from the Far East.

It appears they might have ripped figures from MOCs and resealed them in baggies to do this. The baggies were then used to make up ROTJ 3-packs, etc. for Sears and other Catalogue (Catalog) Stores. I also found evidence of other figures with multiple COOs all in the same baggie, which helps to prove that the ESB-h did not come from a single vendor in the Far East

Last edited by Craig T on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2018 4:42 am

Blog Update #13 (18/12/2018)

Spanish PBP Luke Jedi Cardbacks…

Arguably one of the hardest Luke Jedi cardbacks to find are the coveted Spanish PBP. Known to me, there’s only one single unopened example of a MOC. Additionally, used cardbacks are extremely rare, they hardly ever turn-up and when they do, they command huge amounts of money.

I have been wanting to get an example of one for over a decade after first seeing it on the late Bob Martinazzi’s Lukejedi.Info

But the power of facebook in connecting with folk, networking, and more importantly in make friends is awe-inspiring.

I still have an offerless to Luke Jedi PBP to find, but so far, I’m making steady progress. In the last Year I have managed to obtain 4 - thanks to the sincere generosity of fellow collector friends:

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Header11

*The Palitoy Import, and Red Offer PBP are thanks to Daren Wilde, Daren has also helped me greatly in other rare Luke Jedi items including Meccano and Lili Ledy.

*Cesar Perdiguero was kind enough to work with on a payment plan with me so that I could obtain the red and black offer. There's some heavy litho tearing around the bubble area, but the card itself is in very nice condition with minimal creasing and a nice intact hanger.

*However, for the jewel in my collection, I have Ahmed Boukarrouh Alvarez to thank! Yesterday Evening, I returned home to find an express package from Barcelona waiting for me. Here is arguably the best PBP cardback I will ever own; the child owner carefully sliced the bubble so that the litho was not damaged when he opened the bubble. The original owner still has the original Luke that came with this card, when the time is right, he will hopefully allow me to reunite both figure and card; in the meantime a suitable figure stands in place.

I can't express how grateful I am to Ahmed for working with the seller on my behalf in Barcelona and helping us both in the transaction. It makes this cardback even more special, that a friend went out of his way to secure it for me.

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_7313

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_7312

In the future, I may trade my duplicate red and Black offer, either to upgrade the red offer, get an offerless, or to obtain something of equal rarity. But now, I want to enjoy looking at all four.

Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 11:15 am

Blog Update #14 (19/12/2018)

Jabba the Hutt Playset - Kenner Proof Sheet…

As well as trying to source new pieces, I have also made a conscience effort to invest in the preservation and display of the pieces that I already have been lucky to acquire. I have spent over a £1000 this year alone on new Acrylic Cases, display Folios and specialist conservation framing. I know some argue that that could be spent on more Star Wars, but I think it's worth the investment.

Below is my Jabba Proof Sheet just back from a specialist framer, the glass has UV protection and the Proof has been mounted in a way to protect it from damage during the faming process and for the years to come.
This proof came Tom Neiheisel, from whom I bought several proofs and Ex-Kenner items.

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Jabba110

It is interesting to note from Tom COA:

It was introduced in Kenner’s 1983 Toy Fair catalogue by description only, as it could not be shown prior to the May 25 movie release with the statement: "Due to the secrecy of this character in Return of the Jedi, we are unable to visually display the toy counterparts until film release"

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Jabbac10

More Photos...

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Jabba210

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Jabba310

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Jabba410

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Jabba510
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2018 5:18 pm

That is a really neat proof. It looks great framed up. Very cool to get those pbp cardbacks too. Did you come up with the concept of the case so the figure can sit like that?
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2018 5:08 am

Craig, hi. Wow, some stellar new additions lately, the PBP card backs are all good success stories cheers Thanks for sharing here, + another cheer for the preservation side you're working on - scary how fragile some of our collectables already are and will become. The Jabba proof looks good framed like that.
Back to top Go down
darthcon
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 7:36 pm

hello. new here, from Australia.
was wondering if someone could confirm for me.

just picked up a luke jedi 65 back a.
painted hair/ face
light green saber with raised buttons.
cape in bag.
made in hk. factory ht.

i understand the molded face (taiwan) came with snap cape in bag?

is it also the case with hk painted face? is the cape in bag a snap cape?
thank you.13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 20190112
13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 20190114
13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 20190113
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2019 4:00 am

trappedtexan wrote:
That is a really neat proof. It looks great framed up. Very cool to get those pbp cardbacks too. Did you come up with the concept of the case so the figure can sit like that?

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your kind words. I think after being rolled up for 6 years, it was time to splash out a bit on the Jabba Proof.

I have a Rancor Cromalin to Frame as well (hopefully this won’t take another 6 years!)

The Cardback and Figure display is a specially made case from GW Acrylic. You can find their current selection of cool offerings here:
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2019 4:02 am

ArtooDetour wrote:
Craig, hi. Wow, some stellar new additions lately, the PBP card backs are all good success stories cheers  Thanks for sharing here, + another cheer for the preservation side you're working on - scary how fragile some of our collectables already are and will become. The Jabba proof looks good framed like that.    

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your kind words too. The PBP were just a distant non-achievable goal up until recently, so I’m very happy. The original owner of the PBP card has since come back to me and so I have a small update to make shortly.

I've have become more pro-active in the preservation side. It's an expensive investment to make, but it will pay dividends in the long run.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2019 5:40 am

darthcon wrote:
hello. new here, from Australia.
was wondering if someone could confirm for me.

just picked up a luke jedi 65 back a.
painted hair/ face
light green saber with raised buttons.
cape in bag.
made in hk. factory ht.

i understand the molded face (taiwan) came with snap cape in bag?

is it also the case with hk painted face?  is the cape in bag a snap cape?
thank you

Hello Darthcon and Welcome! welcome

Sorry to you, Paul and Bryan in the delay in getting back to you.

That's a very nice 1st Edition Luke Jedi from Unitoys of Hong Kong.

This vendor produced Kenner Luke Jedi figures, that have a COO of "Made in Hong Kong" stamped on their leg. As you know already, if you look on the reverse of the card, you will see a "HT" printed next to the POP, this is how Unitoys identified itself to Kenner, so that Kenner knew who made the product (for QA etc.).

There were three vendor factories that made a Kenner Luke Jedi and all three originally made Luke Jedi with a snap cape sealed in a baggie placed behind Luke.

I will try to give a better description in a future blog, but essentially, in the photo below of all my snap cape variants, each row represents Snap Cape Luke Jedi MOCs from a particular vendor:

"TJ" = U.M. of Taiwan
"HN" = Smile of Hong Kong
"HT" = Unitoys of Hong Kong.

Along each row, 1st Editions are on the left, Next are the 2nd Editions (these too also had snap capes, but the capes were nolonger sealed in baggies, they are packed loose behind Luke).

13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 Img_7314
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi    13 - Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi  - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Return of the (Craigy's Luke) Jedi

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next