The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
V8Dodge
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question Empty
PostSubject: Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question   Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 12:46 pm

So I got my loose figures down from the loft today after about 25 years up there to join them up with the ones that i've been collecting the last few years, a lot of them are slightly sticky and some have frosting, 20 years they were in an old suitcase and the last 5 or so years they've been in a big sealed tupperware box, sounds a bit of a stupid question but just wondering if it's safe to wash them with soap and water ? I tried washing one low value figure and it seemed to get rid of the stickyness but thought I would ask this question before I start cleaning the more valuable first 12/last 17 etc, or is there any other way to get rid of the stickyness ? Thanks

Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question SWfigures_zps0if2ztup
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question   Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Warm water, dish soap, and light brush or cloth. Hard scrubbing may remove paint or insignias so refrain from that. The stickiness, from what discussions I have read, is thought to be caused by natural breakdown of the plastic. It will return with time as all plastic breaksdown eventually. The frosting is the same and some have said it returns regardless of a good bath. I have heard of guys using sunlight to get rid of the frosting but be cautious not to melt your figures leaving them out on a super sunny hot day.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question   Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Having a look at your pic, max review is very blue still, might consider storing him away in the dark as he has a tendency to fade in any amount of light it seems.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question   Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 7:13 am

First off nice to bring them down!

I've had the stickiness issue and from what I've seen it does come back eventually. I tried warm water with a few Weeuqays. It did get rid of it, but it came back
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question   Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Got My Loose Figures Down From The Loft After 25 Years - Stickyness Question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1