The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Getting the wrinkles out

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
beachboy19
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
beachboy19

Getting the wrinkles out Empty
PostSubject: Getting the wrinkles out   Getting the wrinkles out I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 4:03 pm

Anybody have any tips for flattening out wrinkles and waviness in Vader and Obi-wan vinyl capes? I have a couple that are really a mess and wish they were straighter.
Back to top Go down
TeekSolo
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
TeekSolo

PostSubject: Re: Getting the wrinkles out   Getting the wrinkles out I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 4:31 pm

There are a number of ways but one of the safest is to dip the cape in hot (not boiling) water for a few seconds to soften it. It should then be quickly dried and placed inside a heavy book, you can put extra weight on top of this if you like. Leave it for a while and this should remove some of the major creases but it'll never be 100% flat like an unused cape. If the cape is brittle it's best just to leave it as you may end up damaging it further.

Back to top Go down
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Thundershot

PostSubject: Re: Getting the wrinkles out   Getting the wrinkles out I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 3:11 am

I've used an office laminating machine a couple of times, which produced superb results, placing the cape between two sheets of heavyweight paper and set on low temperature.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Getting the wrinkles out   Getting the wrinkles out I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2016 9:05 pm

I use the hot water from my Water Cooler (hot , but drinkable) and set the capes in the glass for 15-20 seconds. Then I lay them out on a flat surface with a book on top. Works every time
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
mat8yr
Developer
Developer
mat8yr

PostSubject: Re: Getting the wrinkles out   Getting the wrinkles out I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 12:25 pm

I use my lightsaber to heat up the cape and then flatten it with a stampede of gerbils Laughing

Seriously though, I've often used a hair dryer on max heat until it becomes softer and more pliable (20 seconds or so), then use a heavy book on the kitchen surface (make sure whatever you press it with doesn't have a pattern or you'll be doing it again! head bang )
Back to top Go down
Bababooeyfett
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Bababooeyfett

PostSubject: Re: Getting the wrinkles out   Getting the wrinkles out I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 4:54 pm

Flat clean surface. Relatively heavy weight on flat piece of plastic. Wait a few days, should be wrinkle free.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting the wrinkles out   Getting the wrinkles out I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting the wrinkles out

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-