The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Roboskull

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Thundershot

The Roboskull Empty
PostSubject: The Roboskull   The Roboskull I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 9:41 am

The Roboskull 28364725290_728c6fba15_c

Hi folks,
Most people tend to think of Action Force as simply being the U.K. version of G.I.Joe when, in reality, it was much more. Certainly, when it came to vehicles, Palitoy did use many of Hasbro's toy library to fill out the range but when given the resources their design department was capable of producing such masterpieces as the Roboskull:  

The Roboskull 28570281861_48c521eb86_c

This flying weapon of death incarnate (it's a vehicle for the evil "Red Shadow" terrorist organisation) is obviously inspired by the Imperial TIE Fighter, yet, features such as a duel cockpit, positional wings & suspended animation/brain washing compartment make for a unique looking toy that scores highly on the playability scale :

The Roboskull 28649014905_511e8930bb_c

Unlike Star Wars, Palitoy usually included a figure with their A.F. vehicles. The pilot (Code name: Red Wolf) look is also heavily inspired by Kenners TIE Fighter Pilot:
The Roboskull 28542287252_7fa3cd2766_c

"Sir, we have a prisoner"
The Roboskull 28542279882_d57f1b38a9_c

"Z Force scum, put him into the brain washing device!"
The Roboskull 28570260461_fe06bec11f_c

Some of sharp eyed out there may spot a connection between the Roboskull & Millennium Falcon... you'll be getting no tips from me though Wink

Even if you're not a fan of Action Force or G.I. Joe I hope sharing pictures of this (I think) magnificent toy has been of some interest.

Cheers
T'Shot
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

The Roboskull Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Roboskull   The Roboskull I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 10:35 am

I had no idea this existed. Thanks for sharing pics. I immediately thought of the captain America bad guy, red skull, when I saw this.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

The Roboskull Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Roboskull   The Roboskull I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 2:54 pm

Great photos and a really cool vehicle. Can see the SW references, even those two minion guys remind me a bit of 8-D8. Just got hold of a few Palitoy AF adverts from 1983 which I scanned today ready for my blog, so it's been good to see your pics cheers

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

The Roboskull Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Roboskull   The Roboskull I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 8:53 pm

That thing is awesome! You're spot on when talking about playability.. but definitely displayability, too.
Back to top Go down
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Thundershot

The Roboskull Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Roboskull   The Roboskull I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2016 7:39 am

Cheers guys.

That's a cracking website you've got there Artoo  Cool

A couple of years ago I had the great pleasure of meeting Bob Brechin, the gentleman who designed both the Roboskull & the Skeletron figure, at a convention. He was selling a limited edition print of his original design for the figure, with all proceeds going to charity, which he kindly signed for me.  

The Roboskull 28560092522_8b6fb62e1b_b

Bobs main claim to fame is that he sculpted Action-mans gripping hands.. or G.I. Joe's Kung-Fu grip as our American friends would call them. Mr Brechin gave a fascinating talk about his time at Palitoy mentioning how he'd seen Star Wars on it's U.K. premier and telling stories of the big toy fairs.. when asked about the Roboskull he said that he may of been subconsciously influenced by the Tie fighter but its resemblance wasn't  intentional .  He also told us that Skeletron was originally intended as the figure to accompany the Roboskull but when he presented the design to the marketing dept' they decided to market it as an mail-away exclusive offer.

I love the Skeletron myself, as the figure never got a file card or introduction in the comic it's a blank canvas.. is there an army of these or is it just a one-off, is it an intelligent being or a just mindless machine?, that kind of thing:
The Roboskull 8478892802_6de239e240_b
The Roboskull 8477804527_38288410d8_b

Edit:
Pleased to report that, after 30+ years, the Roboskulls glow-in-the-dark stickers still glow-in-the-dark!!!! I think the camera flash must off super charged 'em:
The Roboskull 28651712795_3bf1ef058e_c
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

The Roboskull Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Roboskull   The Roboskull I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 3:08 pm

Thanks Tshot. That's a good story about Bob Brechin and a very cool souvenir print of the Skelatron design.
Nice job on the photo with the glow-in-dark Roboskull cheers

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

The Roboskull Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Roboskull   The Roboskull I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 3:59 pm

I loved Action Force when I was a kid, but never had the Roboskull, I did mail away for the Skeletron figure.
Back to top Go down
Thundershot
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Thundershot

The Roboskull Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Roboskull   The Roboskull I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2018 7:51 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Roboskull Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Roboskull   The Roboskull I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Roboskull

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Off Topic
-