The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mat8yr
Developer
Developer
mat8yr

Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations? Empty
PostSubject: Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations?   Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 12:30 pm

Hey Guys!

I have a new observation for you to mull over....

The guide says the Vibro Staff (from Nikto, Barada + Yak) has only one kenner variation but that the EPM can be on either side.

I have an image below (+ an annotated one) that shows that the EPM can be in different locations as well as on different sides suggesting a different mould. Also the band on the main handle of the staff is very slightly thicker on one staff than the other, but this would be almost impossible to see without both staffs in-hand.

If this is worthy of going into the guide (and the non-annotated one is not good enough) then let me know quick so I can get better photos because one of these is listed on eBay.

[/tr]
Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations? Fullsi35Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations? Fullsi33
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations?   Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 6:24 pm

Paul updates the site so best to ask him if he needs better photos.

@artoo_detour

The main differences being the epm at the bottom and the thicker band. The flush versus non flush is likely something that can occur with either version. An epm or ejector pin mark is a mark caused by the ejector pin which is a pin designed within the mold to push the part out of the mold after it has been filled with plastic and the mold has reopened. Since the pin is a moving part it could seat more flush to the mold or less flush to the mold leaving the area for plastic to flow when the mold is being filled. If the pin seats lower there is a space to allow plastic to fill, if it sits flush there is still going to be a spot seen just not one that sticks out, etc... Also as time went on this part would likely have to be replaced as it is a moving part and more prone to wear than a part that is not moving.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations?   Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 9:00 pm

Different sprue/break point is significant in most cases. Good pick up Smile
Back to top Go down
mat8yr
Developer
Developer
mat8yr

PostSubject: Re: Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations?   Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 11:21 pm

Thanks guys, thought it was worth pointing out.

I agree Bryan, EPM differences shouldn't be considered variations, but the sprew break mark and very slightly thicker band signifies a documentable variation I would've thought.

If you're wondering why I'm posting so many accessory observations lately it's because I'm collecting by buying larger lots, keeping just a fraction and reselling the rest. It means I get to see a fair number of the same items so I can examine them as they pass through (with my 10x optical glasses - I look like something out of Universal Soldier but it helps spot those differences, and also good fakes).

Cheers guys,
/M
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations?   Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 12:05 am

Forgot about the sprue break. This is a different mold to what we have documented, so I wasn't discounting or trying to take away from it. I was just pointing out that the flush vs non flush epm marks does not equate a variation. This new variation does have an epm near the bottom which the other does not.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations?   Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skiff Vibro Staff - two non-kenner variations?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1