The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Original or new repro Gaderffii stick

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mat8yr
Developer
Developer
mat8yr

Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  Empty
PostSubject: Original or new repro Gaderffii stick    Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 12:23 pm

I can't quite decide if this is original or not...

I would've guessed at an original Variant 1 (found on here: http://www.imperialgunnery.com/otherweapons.htm) except that it has an injection mark on the "fletching" looking end (right hand side of second picture) which is not in the TIG image and that the neck where it curves looks a little longer and remains the same width at the rest of the main part of the stick.

Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  Fullsi11
Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  Fullsi12

What does it look like to you? another original variation or a very good new repro? it came with an authentic and complete HK COO figure.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Original or new repro Gaderffii stick    Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 3:36 pm

It looks good from the photo. Good spot on the EPM. Can you check if it floats please? We have a couple of other Gaffi sticks we're looking at so might be able to compare and make an update soon.
Back to top Go down
mat8yr
Developer
Developer
mat8yr

PostSubject: Re: Original or new repro Gaderffii stick    Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi Artoo_Detour,

Thanks for your reply. Yes it does float, even when you keep bobbing it underwater it always comes back to the surface.

If you need better high definition images for your weapon validation pages then I can provide them - just let me know. Your site has been invaluable when trying to identify this stuff.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Original or new repro Gaderffii stick    Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 5:37 pm

It is not V1, we have somehow missed that version.  Note most gaffi sticks have a radiused transition from the round disc bit to the cone tip.  

Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  Sdc12628
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Original or new repro Gaderffii stick    Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 6:36 am

I have the same gaffi stick here and also one in my SW-d Baggie, pics are a bit rubbish but it looks to me like this factory started with the EPMs on there Tusken sticks but latter amended there Mould to produce a better looking alternative.

Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  DSCF0332_zpsb6121ff7

Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  Imagejpg4_zps0b949002

Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  Imagejpg3_zpsd5e74ed6
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Original or new repro Gaderffii stick    Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 2:18 pm

I also found the same one as Mat8yr among the three I checked today. It has the slightly longer and same width curve part and an EPM on the fletch, same as Scott's. The fletching part of mine is chewed but you can still see the EPM. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Mine also has a 'wide' and 'flat' radial part from the disc to the cone as AJ mentioned and looks the same as Mat8yr's.

Scott, does yours have the long or short 'curve' ?

Our current V3 also has an EPM on the fletch but has the shorter and thicker curve part. So with that said I would say the version Mat8yr has shown us could be designated as a V4 and added to the guide.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Original or new repro Gaderffii stick    Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 9:50 am

Here is the beater Gaffi stick that is the same as Mat8yr's. Note the long curve part and thin, flat disc. The fletching is chewed but you can still make out an EPM.

Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  Gaffi_10

Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  Gaffi_11

Quick reference pic I made:

Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  Gaffi_12

I also noticed my V3 is the same colour as others when the guide states they are a more reddish brown colour. No mention of an EPM either so will update this entry too.

V3
Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  Gaffi_13

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added P to EPM misspelling)
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Original or new repro Gaderffii stick    Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 12:01 pm

The other thing to note on the new V4 are the bands on the handle are bigger than other versions.

Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  Gaffi_14

@Mat8yr - I've added your pics to the guide and made some updates. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Original or new repro Gaderffii stick    Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 12:28 pm

Paul from the pictures it looks like on this version 4 the thin part between the thick handle and the fletching is longer, making the whole staff slightly longer.  It appears to be long on the ops also but he doesn't have others in the pic with his.  Is this a tell also for this variant?
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Original or new repro Gaderffii stick    Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Good spot Bryan and it looks this way from the pics, but I checked the length of the handle parts and the overall length and there is no difference.
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Original or new repro Gaderffii stick    Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 3:29 am

I never realised Mat8yr's was a different variant to mine guys so thanks for pointing it out, I just presumed it was a V3 like the two I have because of the EPM but looking at them all again now I can see it looks more squared off compared to mine and it also has the longer bit around the curve. It would also be very interesting to see if theres other gaffi stick's out there with the long bit after the curve but without any EPM's. I'm not sure wether these where off the same spree and produced at the same time or not but there quite a bit different to each other visually, compared to the other slight different accessory variants that we know about so worth a slot on the gunnery IMO.

Paul, Whilst we're on the subject and your thinking of adding this to the guide, what's the difference between the V1 and V2 on the gunnery? I was just having a look and Is it just the colour because if so, to keep these inline with the blasters etc we should change them to the same V2 brown and V2 dark brown variants. V3 which I think is from the same factory but earlier produced as you can see from my Baggie would become V1 and this new variant would be a V3. All 3 of those variants on the gunnery now are from the same Mould tool or spree and it shows us that the factory making this accessory was changing the materials, colour of the plastic as they went.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Original or new repro Gaderffii stick    Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 11:24 am

Scott, I've never seen a V2 in hand but yes on the colour and the handle is thicker. Shame there is not a comparison pic with a thinner handle and lighter version, but the handle does look thicker from the pic.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Original or new repro Gaderffii stick    Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 8:24 pm

As always- great job with the update, I may have a darker (V2?) so shall dig it out for comparison pics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Original or new repro Gaderffii stick    Original or new repro Gaderffii stick  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Original or new repro Gaderffii stick

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1