The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! Empty
PostSubject: Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display!   Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 12:41 am

This Q.O.T.W. is brought to you by Artoo_Detour -- Cheers!  cheers

Your Dream Display

This is aimed at members who currently have a display and those who don't!

What is your dream display? Is it clean and smooth with colour-coordinated shelving and cabs?

A wall of moc?

Is it an Aladdin's cave of a little bit of everything?

Does it involve music and TV systems? Props, costumes?

For those that already have a display, how would you like to improve it?
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display!   Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 4:38 am

I had a small display about 4 years back. It wasn't much but I was able to show a good lot of vehicles and figures and even my Doctor Who toys. Now all my stuff is packed away in boxes due to our teeny tiny apartment, it really makes me appreciate that space I had.

So now I imagine the day when I can get a dedicated room to display. It goes smthing like this:

* Wall space given over for the posters, loose ads and artwork I have so far.
* x1 Display cab and shelving unit for X-Wing focus.
* Record racks and turntable for vinyl disc focus.
* x1 Display cab for loose figures.
* x1 Display cab and shelving unit for oddball.
* x1 shelving unit to house ads, paperwork and books.
* desk space with wi fi.

In addition I'd give a part of the room over for my Doctor Who collection and some space for other toy lines like my Corgi and Playmo stuff.

Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display!   Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 5:06 am

I am lucky to have a dedicated Star Wars room but have it stacked like a hoarder. Virtually no display appeal and you have to climb in, two spots to stand.... Embarassed Embarassed And I have to pack ready to move house soon Shocked

So my dream display ( ie. I win lotto / get a sugar mum )

would be mobile shelving :
Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! Gallery3-2

each 'wall' would be a 'category'
: vehicles
playsets
oddball
loose figures/variants
MOCs
cardbacks / books
random 80s childhood toys & stuff

I'd like my Ledy cardbacks in acrylic MOC cases with loose figure displayed together.

Need computer, stereo, TV & game console(s) as well.

My mancave to me is more garage space so that needs to be a different room.

Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display!   Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 9:43 am

AJ -- I think I've seen the mobile shelving for medical record use in doctor's offices? unsure  That's a creative idea. Would you keep the more expensive items tucked away in the middle units? Or a secret vault? geek

This is how I imagined you walking into your current room when you said you have to climb and it's like a "hoarder" :

Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! 52471810

lol!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Paul -- For the artwork/ ads/ posters.. I think you would definitely be able to put together a cool collage type display with everything framed. Would you mix and match? Or have everything separated (black and white, color, etc.)?

I agree with you both about dedicating parts of the SW display areas to other collections for one ultimate treasure room of collectibles, though!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's the jist of my dream room/ display room. Hasn't changed since I was a kid because I love books so much:

Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! Librar10

Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! Tumblr12

I'd have half of it for my Marvel and comic book related collection (statue & busts, posters, artwork, figures, graphic novels, framed comics) with single issues in pull-out boxes.

Then the top would be everything SW related. I'd hang up all the beater ships in the center of everything as if they were having a dog fight. I'd keep the posters and paper products framed and out of direct sunlight. Loose figures, vehicles and playsets on one side of the room and most likely SW books, novels, etc. on the right.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display!   Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Cheers Matt, I would totally mix the posters and ads up and have them next to the ones that best complimented each other in terms of colours, themes etc.

Nice idea with the library look, and great to have two levels!

Another dream display part for me would be to have a SW arcade and games systems area going on.

Back to top Go down
Hooch
New User
New User
Hooch

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display!   Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 8:48 pm

I am pretty lucky I have my own room for displaying items, 2 walls for vintage and 1 for modern. Even luckier is that I have a misses that doesn't mind getting in and helping me out putting it all together
As for improving what I have I plan on eventually getting a big glass wall unit put in between my 2 existing Detolfs and add some Led light strips to the wall units
Like many I have a dream of a great big room, walls of moc's etc behind glass with lighting but if I can do what I just mentioned cheaply that would be a dream come true for me
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display!   Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 10:30 pm

I have one crappy cabinet right now and sadly it won't hold everything. Sad

My dream display is floor to ceiling built in cabinets with glass shelves and decent lighting from a top and bottom source so the entire cabinet is lit. I would need at least one wall clean for framed art, posters, etc..then at least two walls of built ins for figures. These can be separated into sections as I collect many different toy lines, so would prefer they be separated out. Also since I am a loose collector, I would like acrylic risers so that figures can all be seen easier as now they are all on the same level and the figures are five deep so the figures in the rear are blocked by the figures in front of them.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display!   Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 11:19 pm

I need to get mine all organized again, but as it was before it's a bit of everything from costumes to props and everything in between. I could use more space to have it all nicely displayed and to add a few more props. Nothing to big the size of LAX would be a good start then I could get a few other props like an X-Wing, Y-wing just a few ships or so Smile.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display!   Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2016 12:08 am

arohk wrote:
I need to get mine all organized again, but as it was before it's a bit of everything from costumes to props and everything in between. I could use more space to have it all nicely displayed and to add a few more props. Nothing to big the size of LAX would be a good start then I could get a few other props like an X-Wing, Y-wing just a few ships or so Smile.

Yeah..not TOO big, Larry. lol!

Paul -- Great idea. And that game room would be sweet!

Bryan -- I can't imagine how much room you would need for each toy line. Very Happy I'm guessing you would start with those acrylic risers? I'm sure it'd make all the difference.

Hooch -- That's great you have some help on the side for display! Plus, like you said, if you can do it for cheap then by all means, right?
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display!   Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2016 12:40 am

I have always had a vision of one day having a spare space available that could be closed off from the rest of the house for the display room/cave, for me it would consist of a deathstar corridor wall panels/lightpanels/blast doors made to real scale to fit the space, the entrance door would have the lit up control panels with fancy blinking lights and switches. The corridor light panels would be lit up also, in the far corner a couple of 1;1 scale costumes, the 501st ones, would be of vader and maybe a royal guard, the glass cabinets would fit around the room free standing so as to see the contents from all angles.
One day, sooner than later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display!   Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question of the Week by Artoo_Detour: Your Dream Display!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1