The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Newly discovered COO for the DSC?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eddiedangerous
New User
New User

Newly discovered COO for the DSC? Empty
PostSubject: Newly discovered COO for the DSC?   Newly discovered COO for the DSC? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 11:59 am

So I think this is my first proper post. Hope it's posted in the correct place etc.

Ok! I have been collecting mainly DSC now for some time. There are so few COOs to hunt with this figure it has always left me a bit puzzled???

Well today I would like to add a new piece to that puzzle, in what I believe to be a previously undocumented country of origin stamp.

Newly discovered COO for the DSC? Img_6812

...Which as usual poses more questions that answers!!

Apologies if I've missed something obvious in what I'm about to say, but I'm pretty blown over today by what I've discovered, if indeed I am correct.

I'm about to embark on some pretty high level geekery so hold onto your hats!!

As a point of reference I would like to use (as I'm sure most of us to) 2 sites that have helped me so much:

http://swspaceclub.com/…/coo-gu…/anh/death-squad-commander/…

Newly discovered COO for the DSC? Wolf_g10

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/Vintage-Star-Wars-COO-G… Squad Commander / Star Destroyer CommanderC

Newly discovered COO for the DSC? Death_10

Without these resources alot of us would be in the dark I'm sure!

I have been researching this figure for over 2 years now, I own well over 250 loose figures, and am working towards a much more comprehensive guide of this figure.

However in the furthurment of the hobby and the vastly more experienced pooled knowledge base we all now enjoy, I had to share this ahead of that work.

To date other than international variants (Lili Ledy, Poch) once you have tracked down the 5 easiest coo types (1-3, 5 and 7 on Imperial gunnery, I1a-II2b of variant villain) there isn't much more to do with this loose figure hunt.
Unless you are plain lucky or have very deep pockets then tracking down one of the 5 or 6 documented figures of the rarer No COO is near on impossible (COO6 on IG and III1a III1b on VV)

This figure has loosely come to be known as the PBP DSC or sometimes even Disco DSC, although as no carded examples are known to exist we still know very little about it origins.

Newly discovered COO for the DSC? Img_3910Newly discovered COO for the DSC? Img_3911

This figure is a real grail piece for loose collectors.

Other than the COO difference, this figure has a different sculpt not only to the boots but also to the hand/arm.
You can see he has high heels or platforms giving rise to the name Disco DSC but the figures left hand has had a complete overhaul.
The only other main difference I have noticed, in some of the other photographed examples as well, it a completely different paint scheme only on some of the limbs, to anything else I have ever seen in the entire vintage range, home and abroad.

I was lucky enough to find one in the wild in the UK, I did spend almost every spare minute for over a year searching for it however!

I have never even seen, other that the photo on TIG an example of TIG's COO Guide 4 (Missing Date Stamp).

I would love to track one down if anyone finds one, even if it was just to take some photos as until today I thought that was the last piece of the DSC jigsaw for me.

But today completely in the wild I have discovered a new COO stamp.

Newly discovered COO for the DSC? Img_6813

This stamp is the full stamp I image pre-dated the no coo stamp on the disco dsc figure.
The new figure has the full COO stamp including country of origin, and the disco boots, new hand sculpt and even one or 2 limbs with the completely different paint applications.

The plot thickens to be honest!!

It completely changes my views on how the No COO Disco DSC came in the food chain, and as I have said only asks more questions that it answers.
For an entirely new COO that you image would pre-date the No COO Disco DSC, how come it has the same (presumed) updated sculpt and the same (presumed) test paint applications are applied to this figure?

Why aren't there berzillion examples of this newly discovered figure, if it made way ultimately for a new mould set up without COO? Isn't this presumed to happen when the moulds are sent to a new territory?

This figure was discovered like my NO COO example in UK childhood collections.

Newly discovered COO for the DSC? Img_6814

Well I tried to keep it light short and sweet, and I hope at least a few of you followed me to the end.

Would love to hear your views, and any help is always appreciated.

These days I am mainly after pre-production DSC pieces, but any DSC anomaly or rarity is of interest!

Thanks for persevering!!!
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Newly discovered COO for the DSC?   Newly discovered COO for the DSC? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 12:51 pm

Since the 6 coo doesn't have any sign of having the country removed then which came first? It is presumed always that no coo molds came after molds with coo, but since he was being produced from 12 backs to the end maybe when a mold wore out they created a new one and then later added the country when the mold moved.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Newly discovered COO for the DSC?   Newly discovered COO for the DSC? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 3:40 pm

Superb discovery!!! Still looking for one of this No COO DSC myself, silly me was offere one last year and I turned it down, doh!! ;(

I'd say the HK coo is the parent for sure, if you look on wollfs guide the No COO/PBP Han Solo (1st 12) also appears to have a tiny part of the "H" left, or at least it looks like it to me.

Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Newly discovered COO for the DSC?   Newly discovered COO for the DSC? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 4:44 pm

Hi welcome just finished reading this & yes very cool to see the new CoO. Clearly different with the 'H' being under the Copyright symbol.
Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: Newly discovered COO for the DSC?   Newly discovered COO for the DSC? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 8:47 pm

Im on the hunt as we speak ... Cool variant for sure
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Newly discovered COO for the DSC?   Newly discovered COO for the DSC? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2015 3:58 pm

walkie wrote:
Superb discovery!!! Still looking for one of this No COO DSC myself, silly me was offere one last year and I turned it down, doh!! ;(

I'd say the HK coo is the parent for sure, if you look on wollfs guide the No COO/PBP Han Solo (1st 12) also appears to have a tiny part of the "H" left, or at least it looks like it to me.

The more I look at the photo the more apparent it is that the Hong Kong had to be the parent. The Ruffles, folds, whatever of the pants leg on the outer left of the left leg can be seen fully in the one with the coo and they appear to have been smoothed off early in the one with the coo missing.
Back to top Go down
Eddiedangerous
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Newly discovered COO for the DSC?   Newly discovered COO for the DSC? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 8:43 am

Well shortly after posting the original post, having alerted everone to the figure, I found myself wondering why I was still seaching every ebay DSC as usual, as the chances of finding anything tasty surely had diminished!!

A couple of minutes later I was pinching myself as I had found what I thought to be the same figure all over again, just 12 days after the first!

I wish I'd bought a lottery ticket that week!!

But it seems I was wrong, when it turned up, it was indeed another completely unique figure, to my knowledge, again not ever photographed for the internet.

So it is my pleasure to share with you the figure from the other side of the mould branch, another unique Hong Kong COO Disco DSC...

Newly discovered COO for the DSC? Untitl10

Newly discovered COO for the DSC? Img_7210

Newly discovered COO for the DSC? Img_7211
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Newly discovered COO for the DSC?   Newly discovered COO for the DSC? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 9:18 am

How are these two different? I don't see the difference in the coo marking.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Newly discovered COO for the DSC?   Newly discovered COO for the DSC? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2015 10:51 am

If we're talking the figure all the way to the left and right.. is it that the "H" in "Hong Kong" is slightly raised above the copyright compared to the one all the way to the right?

unsure
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newly discovered COO for the DSC?   Newly discovered COO for the DSC? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newly discovered COO for the DSC?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1