The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) Empty
PostSubject: UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW)   UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 3:16 pm

I'm visiting the UK atm and yesterday I went to the Coventry Transport museum to see a die cast toy car exhibition and then to the Herbert art gallery and museum to see a children's TV characters exhibition.

Both exhibitions were ace and If you fancy a cool nostalgia trip then please check out my blog where I've upload a gazillion pics. I've included a few here to put you in the mood Smile

UK TIGers will def love this but many of the exhibit subjects were also distributed to a worldwide audience.

links are

http://thevintagetoyadvertiser.org/2015/08/06/retro-toys-in-coventry-part-one-the-coventry-transport-museum/

and

http://thevintagetoyadvertiser.org/2015/08/06/retro-toys-in-coventry-part-two-the-herbert-art-gallery-and-museum/

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) Aacov_10

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) Tv_toy10

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) Tv_toy11

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) Tv_toy12

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) Tv_toy13

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) Tv_toy14

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) Cov_mm11

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) Cov_mm12

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) Cov_mm13

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) Cov_mm14

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) 1977_t10

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) Peugot10

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide

Last edited by Artoo_Detour on Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW)   UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 3:43 pm

That futuristic tin police car (in the front of one of the photos on the 1st blog) is awesome. What is that white three wheeled contraption that looks like you pedal it but have to almost lay down to do so?

The second part is awesome. I spy a he-man and a danger mouse in there, sadly only pictures from the side. I did not know the wind in the willows was a puppet show? I have seen the animated one, but never knew there was a different version. Very cool to see. Thanks for sharing Paul.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW)   UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 4:06 pm

It looks like a great exhibition Paul, I saw a some nice items from my childhood in the pictures above. The Chopper bicycle brought back a few fond memories and for a long time I've also wanted to get one of those Tom Baker/4th Doctor dolls.
I'll be sure to check the links to your other photo's. cheers

(I've got the Roobarb & Custard theme in my head now! :I am stupid: lol! )
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW)   UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks guys. Bryan, the white contraption I think you're referring to is the Sinclair C5 electric 'car' made by Clive Sinclair who also developed the Sinclair ZX Spectrum computer. IIRC it was all the rage on the UK roads for a few weeks until deemed a safety hazard plus you looked a right nob driving it
lol!  

cantina_patron wrote:

(I've got the Roobarb & Custard theme in my head now! :I am stupid:  lol! )

me too

dah-dah-dah dahhh dah-dah-dah dahhh da-da-da-da-dahh

cheers

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW)   UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 5:14 pm

Artoo_Detour wrote:
Thanks guys. Bryan, the white contraption I think you're referring to is the Sinclair C5 electric 'car' made by Clive Sinclair who also developed the Sinclair ZX Spectrum computer. IIRC it was all the rage on the UK roads for a few weeks until deemed a safety hazard plus you looked a right nob driving it
lol!  

I just googled it to see the pic and that is what I was referring to. Kind of a goofy looking contraption. I don't know how the roads and people are over there, but I imagine here in the states (at least in the Texas DFW metroplex area) you would end up being someones hood ornament or stuck in the car grill for sure if you were driving that. I don't even like driving a motorcycle around here as people have no qualms about cutting you off, straying into your lane, riding right up on you, etc...

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW)   UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 7:02 pm

That 1977 Triumph is a sweet looking ride. :clap:

For you, It must have been like, a kid in a candy store. lol!
Back to top Go down
Nico
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Nico

PostSubject: Re: UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW)   UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Great pics Paul cheers

Takes me back, I had a Silver Grey Chopper bike back in the day Very Happy
It was a heavy solid bike as I remember but I loved the gear stick on it and the long seat(not to carry passengers What a Face ) cheers

Tony Heart's Morph as well, remember that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW)   UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2015 2:36 pm

@Clint - yes it was just like a candy store :Drool:  That Triumph was so nice to see.

@Andy - that's cool you had a chopper too cheers I was given a scratched up second hand one with broken gears. My grandad who worked at the Austin in Birmingham took it in for a respray and added new 3 speed gears but they were handlebar shift - so I think I might have been the only kid for miles with a pale blue Chopper with handlebar gears .
lol!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW)   UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UK Retro toy exhibitions (non SW)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1