The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Mould On Figures

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
V8Dodge
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

Mould On Figures Empty
PostSubject: Mould On Figures   Mould On Figures I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 9:33 am

Hi guys, first time posting here but longtime collector from London, England.

I have a few questions on mold or mould(think we spell it different over here) on figures and whether it can spread to other figures etc.

I bought a loose collection from a guy the other week and about 5 out of around 50 figures have the small brown dots, the Luke Farmboy being the worst affected, the other 4 only have a small hint of the brown spots and the rest seem ok.

I have sold the Luke on and plan to sell the other 4 affected ones, but my question is, i'm going to keep the other 45 un-affected figures but i'm a bit concerned about mixing them with my main collection of 500 or so loose figures, even though they show no signs of brown spots do you think as they were with those other 5 that one day they may develop the spots ? And more importantly, do you think they could spread to my other figures ?

Anyone known a proven case of them spreading ?

I appreciate i'm coming off slightly paranoid with this post but it's taken me years to build up my collection so I don't want them ruined.

I suppose one way of looking at is that any figure you buy on Ebay or wherever you never know it's full history so maybe i'm just being a bit too over cautious ?

By the way I did have a go at cleaning that Luke with soap and water but it didn't budge

Thanks for any advice.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

Mould On Figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mould On Figures   Mould On Figures I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 10:23 am

I knew I had read this before. http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1121079/

To me if the figure doesn't have the spots then there shouldn't be any problem mixing them in. Truthfully I don't ink this has been researched out. If this is mold and not plastic depredation we don't really know how this mold spreads. Do the toys need direct contact with another piece that has the mold or can the mold spore go airborne? Since one of the affected pieces is a relatively cheap figure made cheaper by the appearance of the brown spots (at at driver), perhaps a bit of study can be done on how deep into the plastic the mold spots go? Is this something that can be reversed with like mold killer, or zit cream (as was suggested). This figure could be used for research in that different sections could be cut and or treated in various ways.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

Mould On Figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mould On Figures   Mould On Figures I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 11:41 am

I've always been on the cautious side and if the figure was cheap I've picked up a new one to replace it.

Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

Mould On Figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mould On Figures   Mould On Figures I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 11:55 am

I guess I should add that the ones that show the spots specifically I think I would separate out from the others until more is known on how it spreads or if it can be cured/reversed. I think the unaffected ones that show no signs are the ones I would not have a problem mixing in. Truthfully like you said you never know the history of a purchase off eBay or in the wild. Any given figure you buy could have been exposed but not show signs of it, so the ones that don't have spots may never get any. I think a good soapy hot bath might help prevent them from developing if the mold is something that can remain on the outside and needs to penetrate the plastic somehow.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mould On Figures Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mould On Figures   Mould On Figures I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mould On Figures

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1