The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants? Empty
PostSubject: Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants?   Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 5:47 pm

So very recently I purchased a black boots rebel commander from a member here and have been quite happy to own him. I always do my research before making the plunge on an expensive variant and the rebel commander was no exception . the first one I received (yes there are 2 now :I am stupid: :I am stupid: ) has dark brown boots .cheers quite beautiful imo.
So as I watch ebay auctions for poch and pbp figures as ive been quite obsessed another black boots commander came up for auction . long story short I wrote to the seller explaining that I already owned a "black " boots rebel commander that actually had dark brown boots and asked him was his any different . h replied simply . hello hellhippie you NEED my figure as well. I won it . it came in the mail today . luckily I broke my toe last week and couldn't work today Mad Mad Mad so I was home to sign for the quite expensive package... at first glance they are exactly the same poch figure . so I was a bit annoyed that I again purchased a very rare variant 2x. when studying the figure the boots on the one I got today are indeed a bit darker .
All the poch signs are there , meltmarks on the butt , hk coo from spain dripped paint etc...........
is this a know variant?
as I looked at wolfs guide on the variant villain it seems there are indeed 2 black boots rebel commanders . I took some pictures outside to try and show the subtle differences. doh it is driving me a bit crazy actually as the mustache are also different . one is brown the other is blackish. I hope the subtleties show in the pics . should I keep both? I know all vintage figures have differences but this is driving me bat shit crazy .the newer figures boot color is more of a charcoal. if they are indeed the same the ebay seller said I could return it for a full refund minus shipping ............. help me guys , your my only hope Angry SW
thanks ............bill
Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants? Rcbb
Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants? Rcbb2
Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants? Rcbb3
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants?   Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 6:47 pm

Bill, this is just my opinion so take it for what that is worth, the figures are the same variant with minor paint batch variations. This occurs a lot in ledy figures where some are darker or lighter depending on the batch they were painted with on the day the factory mixed the paint color. Also the thickness of the paint can have an effect on how dark it may appear. To me these are the same as far as the variant is concerned. If they are different to you keep them, but they are both the pbp/poch version.

Wolff's guide calls this a pbp version because it hasn't been found on a poch card. I have seen it called a poch. Honestly the line is so confusing that I can't wait for javi's book just to have some sort of decent reference guide.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants?   Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2015 6:55 pm

thanks Bryan for your input , yes Javi's book will be like Christmas day for me
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants?   Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 4:48 am

As Bryan mentions- to me that's a paint batch difference. I'd probably still keep both- have you compared both under UV/black light?
Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants?   Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 6:14 am

yes I know about paint batch differences and these guys definitely have them , I think I will keep them as the new one is more of a charcoal than brown, its a 300$ mistake on my part but screw it its rare and cool Surprised so with me it stays.

AJ no I don't own a blacklight anymore . why do ask? will this show me something under the light that I cant see?
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants?   Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 9:11 am

hellhippie wrote:
will this show me something under the light that I cant see?

If a figure has been repainted, the new touch up paint glows under the black light. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants?   Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 11:45 am

One of the figures came from me and whilst there will always be batch differences in the paint colour, I think the biggest problem which this variant is the collecting communities terminology for this figure "black boots" which imo is wrong.

The detail on the vest is black where as the boots always seem to match the scarf which is a very dark brown.

Looking on wolff's page you can also see an example of a carded moc...

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/poch/poch-variants/rebel-commander/

Back to top Go down
hellhippie
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
hellhippie

PostSubject: Re: Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants?   Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2015 9:04 pm

yes one came from stef and I love it !!!! Very Happy although besides the name I have seen a few with darker boots and that's where my obsession lies . I have no doubt the one I got from Stefan is a poch bb rebel commander because it most certainly is , its just the fn internet that makes me want a darker boots version . it seems the newer one I purchased most definitely has darker boots albeit not drastically but it is their for sure . im just grabbing up these awesome variants for about 6 months now and just have questions bout some . it is in no way shape or form a question about our deals Stefan , appreciate them and hope they continue ............ its internet photos that drive me sometimes and auction wording other times . thanks for everyones help so far cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants?   Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Poch Black Boots Rebel Commander Variants?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1