The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Darth vader light sabre

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mark E Tune
New User
New User

Darth vader light sabre Empty
PostSubject: Darth vader light sabre   Darth vader light sabre I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 4:12 pm

Greetings peeps.

Just need a little help please. I'm new here and just recently started collecting again.
I've just bought a Darth Vader figure from an ebay seller which was listed as original sabre and cape. Very difficult to tell the difference between orginals and repros from the pictures. I've just performed a float test with the sabre and it sank to the bottom. Can anyone please tell me if the orginal is supposed to float or not.

Please note this is the single telescoping version with thin tip.

Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader light sabre   Darth vader light sabre I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 4:26 pm

Hey welcome to the group, As far as the sabers sinking/floating the do both some will float some sink. One way to check is with a black light (UV light) I have found when you place them under it they glow kinda like a lightstick. also you can see how wasy they bend the repos are harder the vintage ones, and see if there is any lettering. Flashing around the edges is also a good sign of fakes.

You can find more info here that will be very useful as well,
http://www.imperialgunnery.com/lightsaberssection.htm
Back to top Go down
Mark E Tune
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader light sabre   Darth vader light sabre I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Hey thanks

I've already had a look at the pictures on the site. It's just very difficult to tell the difference. The tip on this one is bent which is typical of originals. No lettering. Thanks for clearing that up for me about the float test. I wasn't sure if this one was supposed to sink or not.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader light sabre   Darth vader light sabre I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 10:23 pm

Here's some more help: http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t2419-repo-original-light-sabers-float-sink
Back to top Go down
Mark E Tune
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader light sabre   Darth vader light sabre I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2015 5:26 pm

Thanks for the link to the thread. Really useful.
Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Darth vader light sabre   Darth vader light sabre I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Darth vader light sabre

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1