The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

"Flash Cards"and emulation and that whole business??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Roussimoff
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

"Flash Cards"and emulation and that whole business?? Empty
PostSubject: "Flash Cards"and emulation and that whole business??   "Flash Cards"and emulation and that whole business?? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 9:41 am

Does anyone here have the lowdown on this? I have asked at a couple video games sites I go to, but naturally they are tight lipped due to the nature of whats 'grey area legal' and whatnot, so....

One buddy sent me a link for something called 'CycloDS', and others have sent me to a place called 'DealExtreme'...but I need to know JUST what to buy! Oh, I probably should explain...(DUH)...sorry...havent had my (Irish) coffee yet!! phew

What we are trying to do is to 'emulate' games for play on my DS. My wife and I love certain games and game types, (but thats enough about the BEDROOM...ZING!!...sorry..) and I just recently heard of these 'flash card' devices. I am receiving a DS Lite in the mail on Monday and would like to get this rolling. Here is what I HAVE been able to gather:

1.) there are THREE 'components' needed for this procedure: a 'card', a 'micro SD chip', and then the 'drive'. (sorry, could be mislabeling the pieces, I really dont know a flash card from French toast..)

2.) there are MANY different makes/models of above said parts. (from what I'm understanding, its like with cars...certain parts ARE compatible, but many ARENT, depending on the manufacturer)

3.) there are MANY dealers in said parts...WHERE is the best? That link that my buddy sent me has TWO of the three parts, but not the cards. What gives?

I'm not quite understanding the legality of this whole scene, seems a little hypocritical to me, but.. Kind of like how you can buy all of the grains and components to distill your own booze, but if you actually DO distill it then you are in criminal offense! (Or like with a certain other substance, you can buy SEEDS, TANKS, and all of the growing needs, but once the plant SPROUTS, you are again in legal hot water..I just dont get it!) smoke

Anyhow, sorry for the long winded clabber there, just needing some HELP with this!! My wife 'burns' movies and music for us on line, should she be able to do this just as easily? (As I have stated before, SHE does the tech stuff...all kinds of weird icons on my screen...little green frog that says 'Vuze', a lemon slice that says 'Limewire', you name it..lol...she's quite the little technerd..)
alien

Thanks in advance guys, ANY help would be SUPERB!! Smile

Oh, was thinking... Cig = Fag in the UK and elsewhere. Was thinking that if I ever said "Hey guys, goin to the store to pick up some fags and a case." ..That they'd probably look at me in a whole different light!! LOL

Regards,

Andre
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: "Flash Cards"and emulation and that whole business??   "Flash Cards"and emulation and that whole business?? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 1:55 pm

Hey Andre, I have a bit of experience with the scene, but mainly with consoles over the handheld systems. My nephews did have a cyclods a few years ago, but they figured out how to set it all up themselves.

Dealextreme seems to be a very good website to order from. You can read lots of user reviews here. I myself haven't ordered from them, so I can't say either way from personal experience. Based on those reviews though I don't think I would have a problem trying them out.

The bundle doesn't come with a memory card and I doubt you'll find one that does anywhere else. They do this so you can buy whatever size you want which determines how many roms you can store on the card. Micro sd cards are not hard to find. If you're looking for an online place, you can find them on Amazon but really any store that sells digital cameras should carry them. They are also used quite often with mobile phones.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
The Admiral
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
The Admiral

PostSubject: Re: "Flash Cards"and emulation and that whole business??   "Flash Cards"and emulation and that whole business?? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 4:45 pm

The Admiral pushes Shawn back in the closet and ...

To play copies on your Nintendo DS ...

All you need is an R4DS, some needed files from their site to place on a micro SD Cards root (a 2 gig card will fit around 50 games or more onboard depending on size), and games downloaded from the internet (Torrents etc). make a folder on the MicroSD card called games and copy/paste them in, insert into R4Ds and plug it into your DS as you would normally with a game and switch on and enjoy, warranty is unaffected also Smile On brand new DS machines i would check the internet for compatability as Nintendo arent going to take it sitting down Wink

Ebay is the cheapest for MicroSD cards, The R4Ds you should pick up for about £12

I do not condone piracy pirat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Flash Cards"and emulation and that whole business??   "Flash Cards"and emulation and that whole business?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Flash Cards"and emulation and that whole business??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1