The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

?bidding against fellow forum members

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ctscanman68
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ctscanman68

?bidding against fellow forum members Empty
PostSubject: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 8:47 pm

Do you guys have some kind of system for avoiding bidding on the same figure? I was browsing on e-bay and it got me wondering if I bid on something if I would be competing against someone on here. Do you consider it every man for himself or do you try to avoid this somehow?
Just trying to avoid conflict ahead of time!
Brad
Back to top Go down
Adam Burges
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Adam Burges

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 8:51 pm

All is fair in love and war, although If you know someone is bidding prior to bidding and they are a friend you might upset then by all means contact them to sort it.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 9:22 pm

I'd like to say we don't cross paths but often it happens. It kind of depends on the item also. If it's something that's readily available people won't have an issue. On certain rarer items I've seen some rivalries. I happen to have a little penchant for the ROTJ 2 Packs and a fellow collector is a huge fan of them. He's contacted me a couple of times and asked me to back off an item and I've oblidged. On the flip side I asked a fellow collector to back off bidding on an Italian Darth Vader MOC and gave him some free stuff as a thank you. $25 in "stuff" saved me over $100 on the item! If you can talk quietly amongst the other bidders it can work.

Sometimes declaring "Don't bid on item XXXXXXXX please!" can also put attention onto something as well. I guess I'm trying to say that it happens but I'd say the diversity here is good enough that it won't happen too often and when it does usually it's a congrats to the winner and all is fine. I beat Joe_O to the punch on a nice Revenge of the Jedi Princess Leia proof card by minutes. Some people might have offered the seller more money, Joe posted a nice congrats to me. That's also a good difference between TIG and other forums but I digress...

Long story short - dont bid on my stuff whack
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
joetxtek
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
joetxtek

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 9:36 pm

If I know a buddy wants it I back off but other than that go for it Smile Thats why it's better to make a lot of friends if possible I guess lol
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Darthberizing wrote:
I beat Joe_O to the punch on a nice Revenge of the Jedi Princess Leia proof card by minutes. Some people might have offered the seller more money, Joe posted a nice congrats to me.

Luckily it turned out it wasn't the piece I was looking for but I would have impulse bought it the second I saw it, I had a message about it when I logged in here and by the time I got there you had snapped it up, that must be fate really as I am glad you got it and after my heart stopped beating so fast I saw the light and realised it wasn't for me lol

Once again- Congrats, that really was a nice pick up and I am very glad to know a friend picked it up rather than it vanish into some collection I will never get to see ever again !

Back on the subject of this thread, I don't think I have ever stepped on anyones toes as far as bidding or buying an item in the past, I really don't pick up things anyone else would want lol , however my take on the subject is - may the best man win, I wouldn't personally bid against anyone in my close circle of friends but if its just another name on the forum I think its just like ebay, another bidder you have no real ties to.

Maybe its a bit of an odd way of looking at it but yes for a friend I would drop out , for the regular Joe - probably not (even if it seems selfish) , on ebay its everyone for themselves as the names stay anonymous till the feedbacks left, then of course you can back track and you might see a name you know but hey ho, if its not 1 of 1 then another one will turn up and if it truly is a 1 of 1 then I guess the guy with the bigger wallet took the prize, sometimes its tough like that!

My pet hate is losing out to something only to be offered the same piece a few weeks later by the buyer (who just bought it to flip..) in fact, I am expecting a certain item to be "offered" to me within a few weeks unless it went to a good home

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 10:06 pm

Since Ebay doesnt show the user name anymore, I try to go by the feedback amount to cross reference to known friends id's. If it matches up, I'll ask them if they are waiting to bid or if they are on it already. I was going for a Taiwan Fett last month and asked if a certain Fett collector was going for it or not, which they said nope. If I know for a fact that one of the guys is looking for a certain piece that I found, I'll ask first to see if they want it or not. Thats a good way to get a heads up for items your looking for.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 4:54 am

Joe_O wrote:

My pet hate is losing out to something only to be offered the same piece a few weeks later by the buyer (who just bought it to flip..) in fact, I am expecting a certain item to be "offered" to me within a few weeks unless it went to a good home

That happened to me recently. I think the seller knew how much i wanted it & sold it on to me at a good price still (even tho he could have made more i'm sure). I bought some other stuff from him too as a thankyou.

As far as bidding against someone else on here, i wouldn't do it if i was aware they were bidding. It's not worth it imo.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 5:08 am

I know Tim & I had a gentlemans agreement to try and not bid against each other- which was great Smile It's always hard to let 'everyone' know what you are after. It does suck to pay more than you have to, and would realy suck to get something offered to you at a premium after the fact Evil or Very Mad It is just one of those things that will happen every once and a while, but I do know it is fabulous when guys look after each other.
Back to top Go down
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 5:17 am

aussiejames wrote:
I know Tim & I had a gentlemans agreement to try and not bid against each other- which was great Smile It's always hard to let 'everyone' know what you are after. It does suck to pay more than you have to, and would realy suck to get something offered to you at a premium after the fact Evil or Very Mad It is just one of those things that will happen every once and a while, but I do know it is fabulous when guys look after each other.

HAD??? Is it off then?

...Gentleman???, na not me mucker!
Back to top Go down
spoons
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
spoons

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 5:30 am

Joe_O wrote:

My pet hate is losing out to something only to be offered the same piece a few weeks later by the buyer (who just bought it to flip..)

Rolling Eyes

agree with that 100%

but all's fair in love and ebay. I've lost out on a few items to fellow forum members and although I might be pissed off at the time, I see it as if I wanted it that much I would have bid more.
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 10:47 am

Like John said, if it's something that is readily available, then all bets are off. However, if it's something that is tougher to find, then I'll either steer clear or ask that others do the same.

I usually keep my ebay browsing on the down low, as to not attract too much attention. Especially if there's a bargain that I'm watching.

It's tougher to figure out who is bidding anymore since ebay changed how they show usernames. I used to be able to figure some of the names out and would know who was doing what. Anymore though, unless you know before hand it's really tough to figure out who's doing what. Smile
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:17 am

This almost happened to me and another TIGer a couple days ago. A piece showed up that I just had to have, but it wasn't on one of the main ebay sites, so I figured I was probably in the clear competition wise or else I would have asked about it. After he found out that I had won it we talked about it a bit and luckily for me in the end he decided not to bid on the auction. Normally though I will send a message and find out if the other collector is interested in the same thing and I've had it happen to me. In most cases I figure that I at least know where the item is in case the collector ever decides to sell. I don't mind backing off unless as has been stated it is an item with only a few known examples.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:19 am

I think at times a bit of healthy competition is fun! I remember when Lee was selling some awesome minty figures over on SWF
last year and I beat Jay by a few minutes to a couple that he really wanted, it was a running joke for a long while and he always used to moan at me in chat for beating him to the punch lol
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:22 am

Joe_O wrote:
I think at times a bit of healthy competition is fun! I remember when Lee was selling some awesome minty figures over on SWF
last year and I beat Jay by a few minutes to a couple that he really wanted, it was a running joke for a long while and he always used to moan at me in chat for beating him to the punch lol

lol yeah they're like old war stories. "Remember the time I sniped you for that Boba?" lol!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:29 am

It was a bit like that LOL

He used to call me Greedy Hand Laughing *amongst other names like bastard etc

Ah the good old days lol!
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Good thread lads...

I have to laugh at this as I just nearly cost a good man couple of quid recently or even worse something he really wanted (sorry mate! didn't think you would need one LOL Razz ). It was on an obscure ebay family site and with a couple of hours to go there was not one bid.

I thought: "I don't need it yet in my current plan... but I will eventually! And if noone else needs it then I will get it now". I even contacted and agreed on a payment plan with the seller for it . But something wasn't right I thought , I got spooked and I pulled the plug with 20 mins to go.

As it happened all the sniping action came in in the last 2 mins and if I changed my mind again I could cost a good lad some unnecessary dollars. I think next time I will give him a bell before hand because there is plenty to go around and I know he would help me if I just asked. When I found out the winner was him Stormie Smiley I was geniunely really chuffed for him so well done lad!!!

So ... Public appology to the great lad! ...but next time matey give me bell because ebay wont tell me your in on the action!!
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Craig T wrote:

So ... Public appology to the great lad! ...but next time matey give me bell because ebay wont tell me your in on the action!!

No apology needed whatsoever. It was something we both wanted and doesn't come up for sale often. I should have just messaged you in the first place, so we could have discussed it. Lesson learned on that. lol
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 12:49 pm

I must ask Shawn + Craig, you are both good guys and knowing the situation that you are talking about and the item involved,
how could you have possibly come to an agreement that you both would have been happy with?

This isn't something that comes up every month or even every year, so you can't say, oh mate you pick it up and keep an eye out for me when the next one comes along, if you had spoke about it beforehand and one of you bowed down and let it go it would be the same as not talking but both bidding (perhaps not the ending price but the principle is the same- one gets it the other doesn't)

Perhaps you could have cut it in two Laughing

Joe - who is SO glad no-one collects 8D8 lol!
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 1:54 pm

Joe_O wrote:
I must ask Shawn + Craig, you are both good guys and knowing the situation that you are talking about and the item involved,
how could you have possibly come to an agreement that you both would have been happy with?

This isn't something that comes up every month or even every year, so you can't say, oh mate you pick it up and keep an eye out for me when the next one comes along, if you had spoke about it beforehand and one of you bowed down and let it go it would be the same as not talking but both bidding (perhaps not the ending price but the principle is the same- one gets it the other doesn't)

Good question Joe and perhaps one I should comment on...

Bottom line is: If Shawn had emailed me about this then I would have been prepared to hold off it. I know I have for the coins he has needed and I even tried to give him nod or two to some of the coins he needs, which have surfaced lately.

I suppose everyone is different Joe! alien 🐷 :cherry: and everyone has different attitude in how they collect and how they treat their fellow friends. I'm not going to tell anyone here how they should collect - that I’m afraid is your choice.

Of course I want collect Star Wars. But for me, I am in it for the bigger picture: To make friends with people who love the same hobby as me and share the same values of camaraderie as I do. Your hobby can’t be totally self-sustained. You will (eventually) need help, guidance, or advice from someone in order to progress further. If you are the type who always shits on your friends how do you ever expect help in return? I have learnt so much about the hobby I love through people I met through the hobby and I still have a lot more to learn.

It would be very easy for me to be a complete bastard to a fellow collector (say Shawn for example) and undercut him on everything and anything. But who would be the real winner here and why would I though? I certainly wouldn't earn much Kudos or respect from my fellow collectors. In fact (I guess) that type of collector would be highly resented.

I the message I trying to promote here is that a little bit of help and comradeship goes a long way. My way of collecting has always paid off for me and I will continue to do so.

Happy collecting people!

Craigy

Man… I feel like Yoda with all these big responses lately LOL
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Joe_O wrote:

That really is a good question Joe. In the case of this with a preproduction piece with only a few known examples it would require either one of us backing out in hopes of another turning up (which could take years or maybe even never) or may the one with the most money win. In the case of this item I think there is a chance of another turning up, it is just a matter of playing the waiting game. I've already arranged with Craig that if another example turns up that I'll let him know I knew full well when I started this focus that I had some serious competition out there and really thought my chances of owning a preproduction piece were slim to none.

The other option would be I could have it for the first 6 months of the year and he could have it the latter half and so forth. lol!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Oh I get you Craig 100%, for me the bigger picture is friends, community and helping others and I very rarely put myself first in a situation.

What I mean is, when its something you have been searching for or have had on your hit list for a long long time and suddenly someone you get friendly with wants it as well, how hard is that to let go? Sure it keeps the hunt going for you, but it might die with that person so to speak and another opportunity might never arise to source another (if indeed there is another)

I am not sure I could walk away from that very easily, there are some things on my list that I have been searching over 2 years for even a lead on, if it came up and suddenly Jay or Shawn (my friends for over 2 years also) said "Hey Joe, you might be going for it but I want it as well so what are we going to do" I might have some serious thinking to do lol.

How do you decide who "needs" it more, or perhaps you go into discussions with an open mind but the other guy is making it clear he isn't going to back down for you.

Of course, there are people like yourself that would be happy to let many an item go to a friend but there will always be a case where both interested parties know its their only shot, that was my point. In that situation it could get ugly and yes you are right its really down to the individual to let it go or go for it.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Time sharing that kind of item would scare the living shit out of me Shawn LOL
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Craig T wrote:

Bottom line is: If Shawn had emailed me about this then I would have been prepared to hold off it. I know I have for the coins he has needed and I even tried to give him nod or two to some of the coins he needs, which have surfaced lately.

And thank you for that Craig. I do my best to repay the favors like that.

Craig T wrote:

Of course I want collect Star Wars. But for me, I am in it for the bigger picture: To make friends with people who love the same hobby as me and share the same values of camaraderie as I do. Your hobby can’t be totally self-sustained. You will (eventually) need help, guidance, or advice from someone in order to progress further. If you are the type who always shits on your friends how do you ever expect help in return? I have learnt so much about the hobby I love through people I met through the hobby and I still have a lot more to learn.

It would be very easy for me to be a complete bastard to a fellow collector (say Shawn for example) and undercut him on everything and anything. But who would be the real winner here and why would I though? I certainly wouldn't earn much Kudos or respect from my fellow collectors. In fact (I guess) that type of collector would be highly resented.

Definitely Craig. I think the friendships I have made in just the last two years have helped me continue on like I have. I really didn't know anyone very well before then and just read the forums instead of participate. A lot of times I get more of a kick out of helping another collector by finding a piece for them instead of something for my own collection. It has also been fun to get to know you better and albeit maybe a bit strange in finding a collector who collects almost exactly the same that I do. I sometime feel like I've found my Clone. lol!
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:58 pm

Good replies Lads and thank you.

Joe: I think Shawn already answered your question for me (not the time share LOL):

Yes!!! Hand on heart I would be prepared let something really crucial to my own collection go to help another friend. Even if I have been looking for one for a very very long time. I would feel much better for myself and what goes around come around. Shawn has already offered to help in tracking down a preproduction proof for me.

When (and if) I get that piece I be very proud owner. Firstly, because I didn't win it by being devious, selfish or cheated out my buddies and secondly because a friend has gone out of their way to help me find it. That would piece mean more to me as a collector and make it a little more special.

Shawn: lol! as long as we don't have any "Clone Wars"
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 3:04 pm

All I can say is - God help anyone who picks up 8D8 to focus on Laughing Laughing

No only joking, I would scratch another collectors back and share the wealth if I was collecting alongside someone else as well.

The pre production pieces that are around for 8D8 exist but exist in very limited numbers and it makes me a little more determined to reunite them all whatever the cost, I can safely say however that wouldn't be at the expense of a friend so its a good thing none of my friends have anything I need stored away or are interested in buying them lol Wink

Clone wars? lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ?bidding against fellow forum members   ?bidding against fellow forum members I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

?bidding against fellow forum members

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next