The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fakes ? Lightsaber help please

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Indysaurus
New User
New User

Fakes ? Lightsaber help please Empty
PostSubject: Fakes ? Lightsaber help please   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 6:55 am

Hi Guys

New to collecting and have purchased some large "personal" lots recently , but some of the Sabers seem to be to good to be true , just after some comments on them most seem to be legit but the 2 red sabers on the right seem brand new and the yellows sink .

anyway looking forward to some comments

Thanks in advance
Fakes ? Lightsaber help please <a href=Fakes ? Lightsaber help please Img_3710" />
Back to top Go down
Indysaurus
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Fakes ? Lightsaber help please   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 7:44 am

Bump

Anyone ?  Shocked 

Thanks in Advance

Matt
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Fakes ? Lightsaber help please   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 9:03 am

Hi Matt, sinking sabers can be OK:   http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t2419-repo-original-light-sabers-float-sink

You may need to take individual pictures.  Send Oscar (M4K3R1) a private message he may not see this post, I'm sure he'll sort your Vader sabers out quickly

I'm still to sort out my Ben Sabers, some were dubious from this thread:

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t5569-obi-wan-saber-question?highlight=Ben+Saber
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Fakes ? Lightsaber help please   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:00 pm

The first yellow saber, looks to be a Taiwan variant as it has the circle epm on the hilt.
Second Vader saber appears to have the letter I on the hilt, so should be good.
The fourth Vader saber has a small indent at the top of the saber, near the tip. This too is a legit variant.
Hope that helps a bit  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: Fakes ? Lightsaber help please   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 8:01 pm

I agree with Chris, the Darth vader lightsabers all look good,
also as far as I know I havnt seen any repro Taiwan lightsabers
hope it stays like that.
Back to top Go down
Indysaurus
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Fakes ? Lightsaber help please   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 9:55 pm

Cheers all for the help .

Im Assuming the 1st and 3rd sabers are both from Taiwan ?

The 2nd Saber came with a no COO Vader . assuming european as the saber is not thick enough for LL

Do the last 2 Luke sabers look correct ? these both came with Lukes with Earlybird CCO stamping.

anyway if you need more picks let me know .

Thanks again for the help guys . A wealth of knowledge .
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Fakes ? Lightsaber help please   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 11:27 am

You should be able to find all the info you need to identify which saber variants you have, including reproductions, here:

http://www.imperialgunnery.com/lightsaberssection.htm

here is a saber, tip transition variation, guide from the link I posted above

Fakes ? Lightsaber help please TLS_Comparison%20EDITED

all Taiwan sabers have the circle mark on the saber hilt, are usually more bendy than regular Kenner sabers and have a smooth, wider transition to the tip.

The earlier flat transition tipped sabers can have letters or dots on the hilts. With the exception of the revalveit II DT repros, as far as I know letters or dots have not been copied onto other repro sabers.
below is a link to Oscars excellent thread on saber letters and their variations:

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t6953-list-of-lettered-hilt-lightsabers-concentrated-on-darth-vader

Repro sabers tend to be made of a slightly harder plastic, and so do not bend so easily. They also tend to be brighter in colour, as they have not faded with age (but not all vintage sabers have faded either and can vary in tone of colour).

Another tell if a saber may be repro is if it looks in perfect condition, with no stress marks to the tip. Again this is due to the fact that the repro has not been around for 30+ yrs. But again, not definitive, as there are plenty of mint condition, vintage sabers still out there.

If you take into consideration all of the above points when examining the sabers, it should help you to determine more accurately, if you have any repro's in your collection.

Last edited by chris.75 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Fakes ? Lightsaber help please   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Very helpful post Chris.  :clap: 
Back to top Go down
jdeluca
New User
New User

PostSubject: Yellow Lightsaber color and GC on the hilt   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Hopefully someone can help, I just received a yellow light saber with the letters GC on the hilt. The color is also more of a gold then the bright yellow you see in the pictures posted on the Imperial Gunnery. I have pictures, can someone help?

Anyone ?

Thanks in Advance

Joe
Back to top Go down
TeekSolo
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
TeekSolo

PostSubject: Re: Fakes ? Lightsaber help please   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 11:13 am

jdeluca wrote:
Hopefully someone can help, I just received a yellow light saber with the letters GC on the hilt. The color is also more of a gold then the bright yellow you see in the pictures posted on the Imperial Gunnery. I have pictures, can someone help?

Anyone ?

Thanks in Advance

Joe

Welcome to TIG Joe.  welcome

I don't think GC is a known letter combination although it's often confused with GG which is. If you could post the pictures that would be a great help to all. This link will show you the many ways in which to post those pics, http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t8415-posting-photos-to-the-forum-and-other-useful-topics
Back to top Go down
jdeluca
New User
New User

PostSubject: Thanks for replying and providing the information for posting pictures, if I did this correctly, you should see pictures or links to the pictures. Also is the combo GG a good thing or a known copy?   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 10:32 pm

Fakes ? Lightsaber help please Image119
Fakes ? Lightsaber help please Image120
Fakes ? Lightsaber help please Image121
Fakes ? Lightsaber help please Image122
TeekSolo wrote:
jdeluca wrote:

Anyone ?

Thanks in Advance

Joe

Welcome to TIG Joe.  welcome

I don't think GC is a known letter combination although it's often confused with GG which is. If you could post the pictures that would be a great help to all. This link will show you the many ways in which to post those pics, http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t8415-posting-photos-to-the-forum-and-other-useful-topics
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Fakes ? Lightsaber help please   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 10:56 pm

Looks authentic to me. Is faded likely from natural degradation since it is discolored over the entire length and not just the part that would have been exposed out of the arm end. GG is a known letter combo I think. Somewhere we have a thread with known saber combos which focused on Vader sabers, but the same molds would have been used for all three.

I don't see anything to suggest reproduction to me. Lettered sabers are believed to have been the earliest regular telescoping sabers as later in the line the letters were dropped. There may be some saber repros with letters so it is good to check. The most notorious of the reproduction sabers with letters have REV on them and are produced by revalveit which makes regular telescoping and double telescoping sabers. He marked some at some point but also made some without the letters.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
TeekSolo
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
TeekSolo

PostSubject: Re: Fakes ? Lightsaber help please   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 1:44 am

trappedtexan wrote:
...Somewhere we have a thread with known saber combos which focused on Vader sabers, but the same molds would have been used for all three. 

I think this might be the page Bryan is referring to, http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t6953-list-of-lettered-hilt-lightsabers-concentrated-on-darth-vader
Back to top Go down
jdeluca
New User
New User

PostSubject: Thank you both for the information, I'm new to this hobby and learned alot from this website and your good information. Thanks alot, hope to chat again soon. Joe   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:00 pm

TeekSolo wrote:
trappedtexan wrote:
...Somewhere we have a thread with known saber combos which focused on Vader sabers, but the same molds would have been used for all three. 

I think this might be the page Bryan is referring to, http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t6953-list-of-lettered-hilt-lightsabers-concentrated-on-darth-vader
Back to top Go down
beachboy19
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
beachboy19

PostSubject: Re: Fakes ? Lightsaber help please   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 11:43 am

That is a legit Luke saber with GG.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fakes ? Lightsaber help please   Fakes ? Lightsaber help please I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fakes ? Lightsaber help please

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1