The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Not Cricket Wicket

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Section 8
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Section 8

Not Cricket Wicket Empty
PostSubject: Not Cricket Wicket   Not Cricket Wicket I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 10:03 am

I have a Tri Logo Wicket moc which has an odd image. From a distance it looks fine, but when studied close is quite poor quality. You can see different overlapping colour layers and almost looks like it's an old style 3D image showing blue and red layers.

Is it mean't to be like that or is it poor printing or something else.

Shrub in bottom right corner shows it most clearly.

Not Cricket Wicket P1020307_zpsd2263ee5

You can see the blue edges around Wicket's face.

Not Cricket Wicket P1020308_zps41e0d605
Back to top Go down
http://www.familytreeman.co.uk
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

Not Cricket Wicket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Cricket Wicket   Not Cricket Wicket I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 am

Hey Andrew,

I am fairly certain back then the cardbacks were printed using offset printing. Essentially the process uses 4 images printed on top of each other each one in cyan, magenta, yellow and black.
The alignment of the 4 images must be precisely laid on top of each other in order to yield a sharp image but if one or more images are slightly off, the effect you see is what can occur.
Generally the printer has a small mechanical issue that needed tending to -or- some external vibration occurred when one or more colors were being applied -or- just some other anomaly. I believe the term used in offset printing is mis-registration for this kind of printing error. My printing expertise is based on other technologies and I just have a basic understanding of offset so that's the best I can offer you there. I know dye-sublimation, inkjet, lasers and projection/lens based printers but any printing that doesn't lay down the image in one shot is susceptible to this type of mis-alignment.

Anyway............. since yours isn't too bad looking, it just cruised past QC at the printer. If it was way off, it would most likely fail QC.
There are a few other examples that are shown in the Palitoy 45 back Toy Toni threads.

Hope that helps a bit.

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
Section 8
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Section 8

Not Cricket Wicket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Cricket Wicket   Not Cricket Wicket I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 10:54 am

Cheers. After seeing it, it did make me think that the prime colours were simply printed on top of each other to make the end colour image.

For sale. £1000 Super Rare Printing Error Wicket Moc.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
http://www.familytreeman.co.uk
Sponsored content

Not Cricket Wicket Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Cricket Wicket   Not Cricket Wicket I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not Cricket Wicket

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1