The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

BOBA FETT Taiwan COO Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Neonboy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  Empty
PostSubject: BOBA FETT Taiwan COO Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype    BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 10:18 am

I recently saw a Painted head Taiwan figure go up for sale on Ebay - sold for near $200 . My question to the community.. a legit variant- that was produced in larger amounts or just a prototype figure ? How many are known? This of course leads to the larger question the definition of the two.... input please
best to all
R.
Back to top Go down
http://neoneonart.com
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: BOBA FETT Taiwan COO Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype    BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 10:27 am

Wolff has done a write up on this figure....

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/kenner-variants/mold-color-variants/

I was lucky enough to pick up two recently and including shipping within the UK I paid £19.00 & £6.20
Both on these however had paint wear to the green chest sections so not as MINT as the one on ebay.

Back to top Go down
Neonboy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: Re: BOBA FETT Taiwan COO Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype    BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Ive seen the article, just wondering if it is a true variant.?
Back to top Go down
http://neoneonart.com
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: BOBA FETT Taiwan COO Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype    BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 7:24 pm

I guess my only question is what do you think a "true variant" is?

IMO:
If it left the factory with a known and confirmed paint application that differs from the others, then it is a variant.
If it changed appearance or physical makeup (rigidness, stickiness, etc) over time, then its a transformant.

In this case, to me, it is a paint variation for sure. Why it exists will probably never be known.

..............and I want one..................... Smile

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
bedheadjulian
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
bedheadjulian

PostSubject: Re: BOBA FETT Taiwan COO Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype    BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 4:45 am

I agree with Wolff here. There are only two reasons they would have painted the plastic blue: to cover a flaw in either the plastic itself or to cover a flaw in the first set of spray apps. The blue spray would serve as a sort of "reset" to cover either of these possible flaws. The only way to know for sure would be for someone with one of these Fetts to slowly remove the paint apps on one side of the visor, layer by layer, and see if there is something under the blue paint to explain this. Considering their rarity though, I doubt anyone would be willing to experiment on one...
Maybe someone has one with heavy wear on the head that might reveal something under heavy magnification?...
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: BOBA FETT Taiwan COO Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype    BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 5:40 pm

Wolff does give the best explanation, especially when referring to the arms and legs also featuring the same paint colours and this 'extra' blue not being present. The head of course is made of the same plastic as the arms and legs, so if there was an issue with the paint 'bleeding' then this issue would be the same on the arms and legs, so the likely answer is a factory error of some kind which was covered.
This would of course would mean that the numbers of these are likely to be small, at least in the 'bigger' picture, as this issue would have probably been corrected quite quickly.

As Julian said, the best way to find out for sure is to strip one layer by layer, but given there rarity not likely to happen.
Hopefully a beater will show up at some point with a scuff to the face showing the layers.

The first ever Taiwan Fett I bought was one of these about 12 years ago and is about as mint as they come  Smile 

BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  4a_bob10

Here's a close up of the helmet spray ap. that I posted in the FOTW thread a while back

BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  Sany1412

As for one of the original questions, this is certainly not a prototype and not a factory error either. It may be a corrected factory error, but this of course wouldn't make it a factory error, that would be the case  if they hadn't covered the original error... if there was one  :scratch:
It's factory applied so it's a variant  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bedheadjulian
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
bedheadjulian

PostSubject: Re: BOBA FETT Taiwan COO Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype    BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2014 12:48 pm

BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  Pictur29

LUCKY!!!!

That's a real hum-dinger ya have there Alex!  What a Face 
Back to top Go down
flycasual
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
flycasual

PostSubject: Re: BOBA FETT Taiwan COO Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype    BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 6:29 pm

This figure usually comes with light blue paint.  There is a, harder to find, darker blue paint version:
BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  PHTBFHC_zpsc8da0ca8
Back to top Go down
pattejan
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
pattejan

PostSubject: Re: BOBA FETT Taiwan COO Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype    BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2014 1:29 am

It's not easy to spot the darker blue colour on pictures. But if you hold both variants in hand you can clearly see the difference!  Surprised 

+ given for discovering and documenting this variant! :clap: 

And of course: Thanks again Greg for a great variant!!!  cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BOBA FETT Taiwan COO Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype    BOBA FETT  Taiwan COO  Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BOBA FETT Taiwan COO Painted Helmet Variant or just prototype

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1