The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Restoring card backs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
johnnystarwars
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
johnnystarwars

Restoring card backs Empty
PostSubject: Restoring card backs   Restoring card backs I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 5:15 am

What's the view on restoring card backs?
I've some old Palitoy cards with names removed and bubble damage etc......
Leave them as they are or restore?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Restoring card backs   Restoring card backs I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 5:36 am

Personally I prefer to leave them as they are. Quite I lot of people do restore them, but the ones I've seen in hand were not that great.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Restoring card backs   Restoring card backs I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 5:45 am

I have two that were 'restored' when I bought them. Name plates replaced with 'Kenner' ones- they look OK from the front- pretty rough from the back. Personally I leave them, I've even removed 'restored' bubble areas. I have contemplated getting some of my rare cardbacks done by a mate with skills in this area but I just can't bring myself to get it done- part of the items history etc.
Back to top Go down
chipsteak
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
chipsteak

PostSubject: Re: Restoring card backs   Restoring card backs I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 10:36 am

I keep them as is - and if that means having a kid circa 1979 list draw Chewie on them then even better!
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Restoring card backs   Restoring card backs I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 11:07 am

Leave them be. You're going to destroy another cardback to do it too, so it's a cycle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Restoring card backs   Restoring card backs I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 12:18 pm

I only have one Palitoy and it is a 30A Leia Bespin and her name plate was cut outI liked the card but it bothered me.

So what I did was to scan a Kenner cardback in and then printed the nameplate area out 1:1 on some nice thick matte paper and cut the name plate out of the new print and just trimmed it until it sat in the hole on the Paly and stuck it in a top loader. Looks so much better with the name plate. I didn't do anything else to it.

I don't do it for POPs but I don't see why you couldn't and I didn't try to restore anything else. For me the nameplate is kinda key and it was only one.
Nothing was harmed to make it and it just displays nicer.

So take that as you will.

cheers!
Very Happy

Last edited by psybertech on Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling :P)
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Restoring card backs   Restoring card backs I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 12:47 pm

That's a perfect solution Jay!
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
johnnystarwars
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
johnnystarwars

PostSubject: Re: Restoring card backs   Restoring card backs I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 20, 2014 8:48 am

I think I might be tied to a stake and burnt here by the purists, but here are some Palitoy cards that I restored. some have had nothing done at all.

Most are just the names i've done from scans from my Kenner cards, [no cards were hurt or killed in the production of these].

I'm pleased with how they look until I can get replacements at affordable prices.  Still looking for a Palitoy Princess Leia 12 Back -  a recent opened, no figure, bubble attached Palitoy sold on ebay for £170 - way too much for me!

Palitoy is my STAR WARS of choice.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Restoring card backs Dscf4712
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Restoring card backs   Restoring card backs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Restoring card backs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1