The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Straight Kenner cards released outside US only?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

Straight Kenner cards released outside US only? Empty
PostSubject: Straight Kenner cards released outside US only?   Straight Kenner cards released outside US only? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Hey guys.................

Can anyone tell me if regular Kenner cards (nothing outwardly remarkable or "foreign" about them) were ever released solely in other countries and not in the US?

For some reason I think I remember reading about maybe Australia being one case, but I can't find anything to confirm or rebut that now that I am looking.

If you know of any, can you let me know what cardbacks and where?

This is part of some research I am in the middle of and am desperate to know a bit more about cardback release history.

Thanks!

cheers!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Straight Kenner cards released outside US only?   Straight Kenner cards released outside US only? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Several of the cards used in Australia, where exact Kenner cards but wit minor sticker alterations concerning the offers, similar to Palitoy, just allowing for the Oz address or NZ Address. some have stickers over the offers saying that the offer isn't available in Australia, others have altered offers, I'll have to find out the specifics, I can't remember off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Straight Kenner cards released outside US only?   Straight Kenner cards released outside US only? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Hey Alex,

I know about a Leia Bespin 41A (??? Survival Kit Offer) that just had the local AU address.
But what about offerless cards?
Would there have been any alterations if there wasn't an address to send off to?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Straight Kenner cards released outside US only?   Straight Kenner cards released outside US only? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 5:01 pm

they were released in Canada as well they were pretty much identical to the U.S. ones only they hade a kenner Canada address instead of the U.S. one some were also done in both French and English as well for example a SW 12B Back card just had the address but a SW 12C Back had both French and English there were only like 5-10% Produced of the equivalent U.S. Cardbacks.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Straight Kenner cards released outside US only?   Straight Kenner cards released outside US only? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 5:07 pm

There are rumours that some cards are Australian exclusives (that have no aussie addres or offer). Apart from the ESB VC Jawa I do not believe this is true. Some 'rare' cards seem to appear in Australia far more often ie. 21 back Stormtrooper, 48 back 4LOM, GG,Nikto,AT-At driver POTF.
Back to top Go down
Paulie
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Straight Kenner cards released outside US only?   Straight Kenner cards released outside US only? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 7:51 am

I think we had some front back combinations that were created for our market due to timing.

All of our releases seemed to be later than that of the US.

Cardback wise it seems easier to obtain a Death Squad Commander and Tusken Raider on a 20 back Toltoys card than it is a 12 back Jawa only seems to be known on a 20 back Toltoys card.

Offerless 20 backs for the cantina creatures up to Luke X-Wing were sold at retail here as we did not run the Boba Fett offer from my recollection. Our later releases of figures is what probably saw offerless 4-Loms released here on 47 and 48 backs.

Some of the hard to find 41E were purchased here such as Death Star Droid. 21 back Stormtrooper as AJ mentioned. Many 79 backs seem to have an Australian origin. As we can't rule out the cards being available elsewhere then we can't claim them as exclusive, there is probably a good chance though that Australia did get some front back exclusive items but as they are essentially Kenner pieces I don't think it really matters with probably the exclusion of the Vinyl ESB Jawa.

I have pieces in my collection that I feel are Toltoys releases but they are still US Kenner products by sight.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Straight Kenner cards released outside US only?   Straight Kenner cards released outside US only? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 10:50 am

At some point Italy imported Kenner card (assuming cheaper than producing them) so they slapped a Harbert sticker on the back bottom 1/3.

Untitled

Untitled

Feedback TIG
http://tinyurl.com/TIGfeedback & RS http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
sith jawa
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
sith jawa

PostSubject: Re: Straight Kenner cards released outside US only?   Straight Kenner cards released outside US only? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 30, 2013 9:19 pm

Personally, I have always believed the SW 21 Back (Offerless) Jawa to be an Australian release. The few MOC I have held in my hands or seen have slightly yellow bubbles. Also, the Jawa is a solid number 2 behind the SW 21 Back Stormtrooper.
Back to top Go down
http://madbrownz.blogspot.com
Paulie
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Straight Kenner cards released outside US only?   Straight Kenner cards released outside US only? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 31, 2013 3:34 am

sith jawa wrote:
Personally, I have always believed the SW 21 Back (Offerless) Jawa to be an Australian release. The few MOC I have held in my hands or seen have slightly yellow bubbles. Also, the Jawa is a solid number 2 behind the SW 21 Back Stormtrooper.

Very interesting and most likely right coming from you.
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Straight Kenner cards released outside US only?   Straight Kenner cards released outside US only? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks for all the input guys!!!

A question about the 41 back Harbert stickered ones....

Does anyone have one where the sticker is applied far enough to the left to expose a portion of the POP and, more importantly, the factory code by the POP? I doubt it since the sticker would probably have to be slightly off the left edge to see it, but who knows.

Back to top Go down
Neonboy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

PostSubject: takara aw well?   Straight Kenner cards released outside US only? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 07, 2014 11:04 am

I think some of the Early Takara JApan stuff also was a US card with a Takara Sticker, I have a 3po- (not the rare one) that way.
r.
Back to top Go down
http://neoneonart.com
Dax
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Dax

PostSubject: Re: Straight Kenner cards released outside US only?   Straight Kenner cards released outside US only? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 5:16 am

It's important to note that card front/back combinations that are usually traced to an Australian origin have also been shown to turn up in other countries in the Australasia area. So Toltoys carded figures were around in Singapore for instance but so were items like 48 back offerless 4-LOM's. I think it's reasonable to conclude that as mentioned earlier, the staggering of releases to different countries and some countries skipping certain mail away offers lead to some Kenner style cards that were probably released in countries other than the US.

Regarding the Takara figures, the Made In Japan versions of Threepio, Stormie and Vader are different from the standard Kenner card, but the later releases of SW cards with the Takara sticker are simply US cards with a unique sticker on them. Remove the sticker and you wouldn't know any different.

Because Australia skipped offers such as Fett, Bossk, Ackbar, Emperor and Anakin there seems to be more offerless cards that are typically hard to find in the US. Not that they're easy to locate here either, but many appear to have had a reasonable distribution throughout Australia, NZ, Singapore and some other nearby countries.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Straight Kenner cards released outside US only?   Straight Kenner cards released outside US only? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Straight Kenner cards released outside US only?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1