The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Movie Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RetroRewindToys
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
RetroRewindToys

Movie Recommendations  Empty
PostSubject: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 11:52 am

Hey all,
Just like the title says - give me some movie recommendations! I am looking for movies already released on DVD, nothing that's still in the theaters. I love horror, sci-fi, comedies, westerns, etc but it doesn't really matter, if it sounds good I will watch it! Here is a list of the last 5 movies I have watched:

Kalifornia
World War Z
Rushmore
Jawbreaker
The Limey

Outside of World War Z, I had already seen the other 4 - I need something new or something old I forgot about!

What do you recommend?
Back to top Go down
http://www.retrorewindtoys.com
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 12:12 pm

off the top of my head here are the 1st 2 movies I thought of that I have seen recently and really liked :

Dale and Tucker Vs. Evil

The Devils Carnival

I highly recommend both and they are available on Netflix instant watch if you happen to have it  What a Face 
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 1:10 pm

A couple of new films I've watched and enjoyed lately...

Prisoners
Kick-Ass 2
Elysium
The Conjuring
World War Z
Now You See Me
Pain and Gain
Olympus Has Fallen
The Wolverine

one's to avoid...

Fast And Furious 6
After Earth
The Purge
The Internship
The Heat
White House Down
RIPD
We're The Millers
Man of Steel
Riddick
The Worlds End

one's on my to watch radar...

The Last Days On Mars
2 Guns
Red 2
Back to top Go down
RetroRewindToys
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
RetroRewindToys

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 1:22 pm

ourchickenshack wrote:
off the top of my head here are the 1st 2 movies I thought of that I have seen recently and really liked :

Dale and Tucker Vs. Evil

The Devils Carnival

I highly recommend both and they are available on Netflix instant watch if you happen to have it  What a Face 

I will have to check out The Devils Carnival for sure! I loved Dale and Tucker Vs. Evil, that was a bday present from my brother last year. I love anything with zombies in it, good or bad I will watch it. Many thanks for the recommendations Smile
Back to top Go down
RetroRewindToys
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
RetroRewindToys

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 1:34 pm

walkie wrote:
A couple of new films I've watched and enjoyed lately...

Prisoners
Kick-Ass 2
Elysium
The Conjuring
World War Z
Now You See Me
Pain and Gain
Olympus Has Fallen
The Wolverine

one's to avoid...

Fast And Furious 6
After Earth
The Purge
The Internship
The Heat
White House Down
RIPD
We're The Millers
Man of Steel
Riddick
The Worlds End

one's on my to watch radar...

The Last Days On Mars
2 Guns
Red 2

Excellent! Many thanks for the list, I am anxiously awaiting the release of Kick Ass 2 on DVD & I totally forgot about Red 2, I loved the first one.
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 1:43 pm

If you like horror deffinitly The Conjuring that one had me jump which takes a lot for a movie lol others I also seen and recommend
Star Trek into darkness
World War Z
The Wolverine
After Earth
Immortals
The Devil Inside another good horror (I took my daughter to this, man never heard so many curse words for scaring her lol.)
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Out of the movies above (That I have seen) I definitely agree with these recommendations :

Wolverine
World War Z
Star Trek Into Darkness
Now You See Me

Other good ones :

2 Guns
Red 2
Pacific Rim (not great but pretty decent)

on the fence for me :

The Heat
The Conjuring
After Earth
Man Of Steel (not great but I liked it better than the original  Razz  )

very dissapointed with :

RIPD
The Purge
The Worlds End
The Internship

Movies I need to see now  Very Happy  :

Kick Ass 2
Elysium
Pain And Gain
The Devil Inside
Back to top Go down
Section 8
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Section 8

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Have you ever seen the original Star Wars trilogy? It's fantastic. Readily available on DVD, VHS and everything else.

Other than that I'd recommend:

Inception....annnnnndddd.....anything with Ben Kingsley in it.

I don't watch many films. Can you tell?
Back to top Go down
http://www.familytreeman.co.uk
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Section 8 wrote:
Have you ever seen the original Star Wars trilogy? It's fantastic. Readily available on DVD, VHS and everything else.  

lol! 

agreed , I highly recommend those as well  Very Happy 

The Phantom Menace is the best of the original trilogy - fantastic storyline , great acting and speacial effects that weren't overdone at all  What a Face 

The best star Wars character of all time was introduced as well - Mr Jar jar Binks  cheers  The actor in that suit should have won a oscar that year  :clap: 

Just watch the 1st 3 movies ... by the time you get to Part IV you can tell the quality really goes down hill   No   Hell , it looks like the budget was cut in half and the speacial effects were done in the 70's or something  What a Face 

"New Hope" my ass  :cool laugh: 

Meesa gotsa besa going nowsa ...

:run2: :run2: :run2: :run2: :run2:

Last edited by ourchickenshack on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RetroRewindToys
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
RetroRewindToys

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 6:15 pm

Lol I only have a Beta Max player & some thing that plays record size silver discs? I actually never watched Episode 2 & I only saw the end of Episode 3, just caught the NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! scene, as I was thinking the same thing  geek 
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Rogue
ALIEN and ALIENS
Predator and Predator 2
Wolf Creek
Get Shorty
Unbreakable
Coach Carter
Leviathan

I thought that pacific rim was shit Sad They could of made that awesome.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 4:15 am

ourchickenshack wrote:

Movies I need to see now  Very Happy  :

Kick Ass 2
Elysium
Pain And Gain
The Devil Inside

James, I'd defo recommend Pain & Gain, it's based on a true story and it's so funny seeing the f**k up's these guys made trying to rob some one.

As
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Oh I almost forgot one movie I seen in 3D was Avatar a few others of course the star wars trilogy although for me Jar Jar should have been shot Smile although my dog reminds me of him lol.

For other movies that I would recommend

Black Hawk Down of course based on a true story
the pursuit of happiness
Hancock
the men in black movies well really almost any will smith movie
Mad Max 1 and 2
saving private ryan

I am sure there are lots more that will come to mind lol
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 10, 2013 2:46 pm

A few movies I've seen recently are "Dredd" , "Cloud Atlas" and "The Life Of Pi". All of which i really enjoyed. I have no real clue what cloud atlas was about but it was a really enjoyable movie nonetheless with stunning visuals and excellent acting from a small cast playing all the characters.

But if we're talking older movies then, not In  any particular order of preference:
Watchmen
The Dark Knight Trlogoy
The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
The Matrix Trilogy
The Indianna Jones Trilogy (crystal skull is a bit iffy)
Rise of the Planet Of The Apes
X Men First Class
Prometheus
Avengers Assemble
The Iron Man Trilogy
Donnie Darko
The Fifth Element
Layer Cake
Dark City
Leon
The Godfather Trilogy
From Dusk Till Dawn (or any tarrentino or rodriguez movie)
28 days later
12 monkeys
Equilibrium
Moon
Children of Men
Cloverfield
Wanted
Hell Boy I And II
Blade Runner
Back to top Go down
RetroRewindToys
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
RetroRewindToys

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2014 2:40 am

I recently just watched Kick Ass 2 & was beyond disappointed with that. On the flip side, I did watch Outrage from Takeshi Kitano (who is also in Battle Royale, one of my all time favorite movies) & it was awesome! Cannot wait for the sequel, Beyond Outrage  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 2:26 pm

Only just seen this thread!

Pat, as a fellow Zombie Fan, watch 'The Battery' classic little zombie flick  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2015 3:26 pm

I am gong to bump this thread, because I am wanting to know a few opinions on so,e recently or about to be released movies to DVD/bluray.

First was 90 minutes in heaven any good? Just general thoughts as I don't want spoilers, but I looked up DVD release dates and saw it scored low with critics so wasn't sure if I should even bother on it.

Second is coming out this week. Antman. Was it any good. Same no spoilers please. I am curious because it scored middle ground and usually marvel stuff has been hit or miss so haven't seen a middle road before.

Lastly is minions. More for my seven year old, so will it be enjoyed by a seven year old?

I honestly will probably end up with the second two regardless as I am a comic fan and my kid loves the despicable me films. It's mostly the first one I am curious about.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 8:21 am

trappedtexan wrote:
I am gong to bump this thread, because I am wanting to know a few opinions on so,e recently or about to be released movies to DVD/bluray.

First was 90 minutes in heaven any good?  Just general thoughts as I don't want spoilers, but I looked up DVD release dates and saw it scored low with critics so wasn't sure if I should even bother on it.

Second is coming out this week.  Antman.  Was it any good.  Same no spoilers please.  I am curious because it scored middle ground and usually marvel stuff has been hit or miss so haven't seen a middle road before.

Lastly is minions.  More for my seven year old, so will it be enjoyed by a seven year old?

I honestly will probably end up with the second two regardless as I am a comic fan and my kid loves the despicable me films.  It's mostly the first one I am curious about.

If you haven't seen it by now.. Ant-Man is good. It mirrors Iron Man 1 and isn't necessarily loaded with deep Marvel lore or terminology (except when Douglas is on screen).

Nice blend of comedy and action.
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 11:50 am

Sent the wife to get it today. Hopefully time to watch it in the next few days. I am more excited about it that the next marvel film coming out which is fantastic four (again). So far all of the fantastic four movies have suuuuuuckked majorly.
Back to top Go down
darthmatt22
Developer
Developer
darthmatt22

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2015 3:32 pm

Don't even go near the newest F4 movie.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie Recommendations    Movie Recommendations  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Movie Recommendations

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1