The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

AT-AT Commander Bootleg?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CorranHorn
New User
New User
CorranHorn

AT-AT Commander Bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: AT-AT Commander Bootleg?   AT-AT Commander Bootleg? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 12:49 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm not a bootleg collector but this past weekend when picking up a small lot of vintage toys, included in it was this AT-AT Commander. The figure is definitely an odd bird - not only does it have a sloppy paint job, but it's taller than a Kenner figure (not easy to tell in the pics below), and the plastic in the torso feels different.

I did perform research here and RS, but couldn't find anything that matched this figure exactly. The closest thing I found was the Polish unarticulated figure, but this figure has full articulation so that wasn't it. Perhaps there's something I missed, but I was hoping someone here could tell me what I have. Is this a known bootleg or did some kid go nuts on his toy?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jason

And now the pics (with a Kenner figure for comparison)...

AT-AT Commander Bootleg? BootlegAtATCmdr1
AT-AT Commander Bootleg? BootlegAtATCmdr2
AT-AT Commander Bootleg? BootlegAtATCmdr3
AT-AT Commander Bootleg? BootlegAtATCmdr4
Back to top Go down
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: AT-AT Commander Bootleg?   AT-AT Commander Bootleg? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 6:59 pm

How are the limbs attached? pins? bulbs? Is the torso the same plastic as the limbs.... Based on visuals it looks like a modified Polish figure, but the answers could help determine more.

Thanks
J
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=697897283
CorranHorn
New User
New User
CorranHorn

PostSubject: Re: AT-AT Commander Bootleg?   AT-AT Commander Bootleg? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 11:39 pm

Joseph_Y wrote:
How are the limbs attached? pins? bulbs? Is the torso the same plastic as the limbs.... Based on visuals it looks like a modified Polish figure, but the answers could help determine more.

Thanks
J
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

The limbs appear to be attached with the same type of bulb like pegs that Kenner figures use. I've attached a couple of pictures showing the left arm, as you can see the torso is split at the seam and I'm sure if I tried I could pop the two halves apart.

The torso feels to be of a different plastic than that of the limbs. The limbs are definitely softer. And I did fail to mention previously that the paint is slightly tacky, not to the point of being completely sticky, but noticeable. It feels almost like a custom paint job, but for the life of me I can't think of a good reason to do it with this figure.

AT-AT Commander Bootleg? BootlegAtATCmdr5
AT-AT Commander Bootleg? BootlegAtATCmdr6

Cheers!
Jason
Back to top Go down
AussieFortuna
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
AussieFortuna

PostSubject: Re: AT-AT Commander Bootleg?   AT-AT Commander Bootleg? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2013 5:02 am

I certainly couldnt offer anything more than joe, but ive just compared this to 4 polish unart AT-ATs, there are some pretty big differences, it doesnt look like its an unart thats been custom articulated.

Your figure here tends to look like its a tiny bit bigger than a standard kenner figure, my unart AT-ATs are all quite a bit smaller than a kenner figure, including smaller different hands, thinner arms and legs, smaller head and sculpt, obviously where the rubber shrunk from the mold, just an observation, could it be a repainted 2nd or 3rd gen polish, or maybe the torso plastic looks to hard to be that.
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: AT-AT Commander Bootleg?   AT-AT Commander Bootleg? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2013 5:28 am

To me this is a "massive" oversprayed Kenner (looks like Trilogo, see coo) one.

A real thick color layer...and some bites and dents in it....to make it look old/used?!?!?

Anyway...no matter what this is: It is selfmade IMO...

Last edited by wbobafett on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: AT-AT Commander Bootleg?   AT-AT Commander Bootleg? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 02, 2013 5:32 am

...and check the hip on your first pic. I can see a "paint rub" to the leg (to the right viewing from the front). There you can see the original color of the plastic mold = Kenner.

And I was wrong...coo was deleted by hand....the color shows it is not a Trilogo version Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CorranHorn
New User
New User
CorranHorn

PostSubject: Re: AT-AT Commander Bootleg?   AT-AT Commander Bootleg? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Yeah, I was afraid this was going to turn into a custom paint job as I looked closer and closer at it. I popped the arms out and sure enough you can see where the Kenner limbs were not painted over...

AT-AT Commander Bootleg? NotBootlegAtATCmdr1

A bit disappointing but the mystery was nice to have and in the end this cost me a whole $2 so no big loss. Not sure yet what I'll do with this guy, maybe pop the rest of it apart for fodder.

Thanks again for all of the insight everyone!
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: AT-AT Commander Bootleg?   AT-AT Commander Bootleg? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Hey Jason

Maybe you can strip off the paint and use him to customize. I just notice your signature.Very Happy 
Sorry to side track your discussion here but.....
I've used FFURG.com for years. Love the site for customizing tips and tricks.cheers 

Check out our customizing thread here at TIG. http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t69-vintage-customs-thread

Clint
Back to top Go down
CorranHorn
New User
New User
CorranHorn

PostSubject: Re: AT-AT Commander Bootleg?   AT-AT Commander Bootleg? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Commander Clint wrote:
Hey Jason

Maybe you can strip off the paint and use him to customize.  I just notice your signature.Very Happy 
Sorry to side track your discussion here but.....
I've used FFURG.com for years.  Love the site for customizing tips and tricks.cheers 

Check out our customizing thread here at TIG.  http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t69-vintage-customs-thread

Clint
Hi Clint,

That's likely what I will do, once I get back to actively making customs. Smile

I'm happy to hear you've enjoyed the efforts of FFURG over the years, always great to hear that. In the same manner, I've found TIG to be a great source of info. I use the site a lot when reviewing figure variants and verifying if I have a legit weapon, which is why I knew this was place to go when I thought I had a bootleg, haha.

I'll be sure to check out that customs thread too.

Cheers!
Jason
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AT-AT Commander Bootleg?   AT-AT Commander Bootleg? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AT-AT Commander Bootleg?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1