The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards Empty
PostSubject: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards Sears_10

I bought these as re-sealed, so the shrink wrapping is not the question.  I have also contacted the seller for some clarification.

Just wondering a little bit more about these 3 "Sears" cards.  I'm having a good look at them in the daylight and notice a couple of odd things about the cards just after I posted them in the recent purchases thread.  I was also comparing them to the ones I could find on the web and in my "Irwin Toy: The Canadian Star Wars Connection" book.

- All 3 of them don't have hanger tabs
- also all 3 of them have the same number in the white area under the figure and from what I can read, they are all supposed to be different.
- The numbers at the top left corner of the cards are also the same on all of them, the Luke Hoth is supposed to have different number.
- Also it doesn't give the Hanna ave address at the bottom.
- Also Ugnaught is spelled "Ugnaugnt".
- And the Blue ink around the Kenner logo isn't right on the Dengar and Luke Hoth cards.
- LucasFilm is mispelled at the bottom of the Luke Hoth card, "Lucusfilm"
- The Ugnaught and Dengar cards have the holes punched through the front and the Luke Hoth has the holes punched from the back.
- The text is in French under the Kenner logo's
- irregular hole punch patterns

Did Sears or Consumer Distributing make slightly different cards because these don't match the known examples that I can find.

I even went back and looked at Mark Yeo's limelight to compare.

http://web.ncf.ca/cn333/esbfigs.htm

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4680-sears-exclusive-skinwrapped-moc-set-complete-w-1-additional-rotj-transition-moc

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.  I will post some more pictures later this evening.

I know that original MOC cards are extremely rare (like DT Ben & Vader rare).  But I was at least hoping for just original cardbacks.

Thanks

Clint

Edit: Sorry for the indoor photo's.  It's already dark outside and snowing.

The info at the bottom of the cards, under the Kenner logo is in french?

Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards Img_0126Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards Img_0127Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards Img_0128Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards Img_0129Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards Img_0130Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards Img_0131Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards Img_0132Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards Img_0133Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards Img_0134Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards Img_0135

Last edited by Commander Clint on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:42 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 3:24 pm

found this on the star wars archive database if yo type in star wars sears in the search area on the main page you can find various things for sears there hope this helps.

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=42007
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 3:32 pm

Larry, Thanks for the link.Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 3:39 pm

no problem Smile
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 11, 2013 7:28 pm

Pictures added.
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 9:26 am

Clint I'm not the most fluent guy on these but it seems these might be off.

Feedback TIG
http://tinyurl.com/TIGfeedback & RS http://tinyurl.com/berizingfeedback
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 10:01 am

1. thing I noticed regarding Yeo's limelight:

Originals seem to perforated from the FRONT! Yours are clearly perforated from behind!

2. thing I noticed:
Originals seem perforated with sort of a roller (is this the correct term?)...yours have much irrgeularties and look more like perforated each hole itself.....does that make sense?

Sorry for chimning in...no Moc collector...just some observations Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 10:24 am

Maybe I'm just being captain obvious here, but aren't the lack of hanger tabs a dead give-away that there aren't legit?
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 10:37 am

DarthBerizing wrote:
Clint I'm not the most fluent guy on these but it seems these might be off.
I'm not sure about them either.  They are nothing like I've seen before either.  Could Kenner Canada have made a french card version for the province of Quebec???
I've sent a PM to Mark Yeo as well.

wbobafett wrote:
1. thing I noticed regarding Yeo's limelight:

Originals seem to perforated from the FRONT! Yours are clearly perforated from behind!

2. thing I noticed:
Originals seem perforated with sort of a roller (is this the correct term?)...yours have much irrgeularties and look more like perforated each hole itself.....does that make sense?

Sorry for chimning in...no Moc collector...just some observations Wink
Wolff, all observations are welcome.Very Happy   I'm not a MOC card guy either.  That's why I'm hoping some of the other guys will chime in.  The only card that is perforated from the back is the Luke Hoth.  The Ugnaught and Dengar cards are perforated from the front . I noticed the hole pattern is a little bit irregular as well.

The collector that I got them off of is a loose collector as well.  He has written me and said that he is the original owner and bought them from the local Consumers Distributing outlet in Guelph, ON. as they were closing down and clearing out stock.
Here is what I found out about the Consumers Distributing chains from Wikipedia.

Consumers Distributing (known in Quebec as Distribution aux Consommateurs) was a catalogue store in Canada and the United States that operated from 1957 to 1996. At its peak it operated 243 outlets in Canada and 217 in the United States, including stores in every province in Canada and in the states of New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, California and Nevada. Its Canadian headquarters was at 6303 Airport Road, in Mississauga, Ontario and its US corporate headquarters was 205 Campus Plaza in Edison, New Jersey.
Consumers Distributing aimed to reduce costs for customers by stocking merchandise in a warehouse type stocking system instead of displaying them in a costly showroom. Customers made their selections from a catalogue, filled out a form with product identification, and waited for stock staff to retrieve the items from the warehouse.

If there is anyone else I could email about them, please let me know.
Thanks

Clint

Last edited by Commander Clint on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 10:52 am

turkdlit wrote:
Maybe I'm just being captain obvious here, but aren't the lack of hanger tabs a dead give-away that there aren't legit?
That's the part of problem, nothing about them is the same a known examples.  They didn't even try to copy them.unsure

I've even used the magnifying glass to see if they were created with an ink jet printer.  They seem to be ok, but I'm still not sure if my magnifying glass is good enough?
Back to top Go down
Paulie
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 4:22 pm

Am I missing something ? Why is ugnaught misspelt ? ugnaugnt

My apologies you already flagged that - Pretty big red flag though
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 3:27 am

Laughing Laughing :cool laugh: 

speaking of it...wtf is "LUCUSFILM"????Shocked Razz 
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 9:42 am

Just a quick update.

They did indeed turn out to be fakes.  After many PM's and conversations with other local collectors, I decided that since the shrink wrap was not original, I would open one of them up.  As soon as the shrink wrap was off, I could immediately see that there was 2 layers to the cardbacks.Evil or Very Mad 

Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards Img_0317

The good news is I was able to return these to the seller and got my money back for them.  So many thanks to all that helped.cheers 

Maybe one of the mod's could move this to the watch out section for future reference.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 10:04 am

Hi Clint,

Good decision to take a closer look at the cardback after removing the wrap. Very Happy 

Also good that you got your money back.

Now that you know the cards are fakes, was the background story that the seller gave you suspicious as well?

( I will move it to the watchout section BTW)

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 25, 2013 10:28 am

Marco, Thanks for moving this to the watch out section.

The story he gave me was a complete fabrication.  When I was emailing him back and showed him that the cards were indeed fake, he said in an email that he was "just passing along the information that he was told".Shocked    He is a local vintage loose collector and he was good enough to give me my money back without any hesitation.   So I don't know how to deal with this yet.unsure
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards   Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fake Sears "skin wrapped" cards

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1