The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jaffleman
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? Empty
PostSubject: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 11:18 am

I'm one of the people in the minority that prefers the vintage style of figure over the more detailed and articulated figures of today however I feel there are enough people out there that feel the same.

A long, mostly irrelevant, rant to offer some perspective to this post:

Just wondering what opinions people have if Hasbro ever decides to fill some gaping holes in the Kenner vintage collection?

I'm talking about maybe a Tarkin in vintage figure style that would fit seemingly with your 1980 Imperial Officer or a Han in Stormtrooper disguise that looks just like your Luke Stormy figure.

There is obviously some demand for new figures in the vintage style and Gentle Giant continuing it's 12 inch line is testament to that.

They could make a figure every year or a few figures every year, or even have gentle Giant create the figures and distribute them in much the same way as the 12 inch figures being a speciality item that doesn't flood the market.

I know this is most likely a pipe dream as it's almost been almost 18 years since the line was relaunched in 1995 and no such thing has happened (well there was that rocket fett which was cool Smile )

But if there was some kind of general consensus as to what few figures people wanted to see and if we pushed hard enough (assuming people want this other than myself) maybe Hasbro would listen. Thoughts?

Back to top Go down
Section 8
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Section 8

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 11:31 am

One attraction for me is the fact that the original figures are over 30 years old and are those that I played with as a child.

To me modern figures are modern figures and rarely interest me no matter what mould or style they may come out in. To mix an old and modern collection doesn't work in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.familytreeman.co.uk
jaffleman
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 11:52 am

That's a fair enough point. I collect from a nostalgic point of view too. Like I collect the toys I always wanted as a kid but I also collect toys that I dreamt about but could never possibly have. Not sure if you'd call that nostalgia as well or what you would call it.... but for an example....

I also collect vintage transformers and normally steer away from re-issues. But Takara released a purple version of Galvatron as he was in the show whereas the vintage toy (I already owned ) was grey. Needless to say I bought the purple re-issue because it was the toy i always wanted, dreamt about but could never have because it was never made and it looks great next to my vintage grey figure.

Same principle as a tarkin figure. I've always wanted one but none of the figures made can fill that void as none are like what one would have looked like had it been made in 1978 or even 1985 as it's not the toy I dreamed about as a kid.
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 11:58 am

jaffleman wrote:
I'm one of the people in the minority that prefers the vintage style of figure over the more detailed and articulated figures of today however I feel there are enough people out there that feel the same.
I'd say we are the majority Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
jaffleman
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:04 pm

General Kahn wrote:

I'd say we are the majority Very Happy 
lol! I guess that would be true at the TIG. But looking at the wider Star Wars community it's safe to assume there are more people collecting modern figures than vintage. In my travels I've met many collectors and the majority of Star Wars collectors are more passionate about the modern stuff. That's why this forum is awesome as the focus is mostly vintage. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:26 pm

I would welcome the release of vintage style figures on vintage style cards. As long as we don't get flooded by too many waves of these figures and Hasbro only releases figures from the Orignal Trilogy.
High on my wish list: Rebel Fleet Trooper, Tarkin, Sandtrooper, Y-Wing Pilot, Mon Calamari Offcer, Mon Mothma, but also some army builders variants of the original Rebel Soldier, Rebel Commando.

Not waiting for 5-points articulated versions of characters from the Prequels, like Darth Maul, Clone Trooper, Count Dooku.
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:35 pm

I would also like for these vintage style to be released.  

Also come on Marco I know you want a vintage style jar jar.  lol!

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
wattosjunkpile
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
wattosjunkpile

PostSubject: vintage inserts   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 2:01 pm

I think a random kenner like chase figure inserted within in tvc  cases would be awesome! It would bring old collectors and new collectors together.But they should be the figures we've always wanted but never had.
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 3:43 pm

Hi Folks.

I collect both the Vintage Kenner stuff and the modern stuff. I mainly collect for the nostalgia factor. I can say that i am not in for the money on this. I don't plan on buying all of this than try to make cash on resell. I am madly in love with the Kenner packaging for the star wars items so that is why i try to get my playsets and vehicles in their original boxes. I would do the same for the figures but at this time they are a bit too expensive for me. I have a good chunk of the ANH boxed items ( playsets and Vehicles ) and i have dabbed in a tiny bit in the other 2 films but not much. I want to work more on ANH first because the stuff is harder to find and will go up in price faster than the other stuff from the other 2 films.

To answer the topic Hasbro pretty much messed up their chance with this modern vintage line. They had a lot of distribution issues and a lot of people never got a chance to get some figures from that line. But they had a few awesome mail ins. Rocket firing Boba Fett and prototype Armor Boba Fett.

Hasbro has redone a lot of the vintage style cards and have stopped. They are put on hiatus as per Lucasfilm, that is what Hasbro is saying. I dont think that the vintage style cards are coming back anytime soon. I managed to collect of good chunk of that modern line but they are done so no Hasbro wont fill in the Kenner gaps.

However Hasbro said that they can still release vehicles and they have done a good bunch of them so far.

Millenium Falcon. ANH style box
AT AT ROTJ style box
Y-wing ROTJ style box
Tie Fighter ESB style box
Landspeeder ANH style box
Snowspeeder ESB style box
TaunTaun ESB style box
X-wing ANH style box
Slave 1 ESB style box
Tie interceptor ROTJ style box
Back to top Go down
AussieFortuna
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
AussieFortuna

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 2:34 am

Just for the novelty and fun factor, i wouldnt mind seeing Hasbro release a few 5 points of articulation figures that never made the cut like Gargan, luke in robes, bald emporer etc.
I wouldnt display them with my original ones but would by them to put on my oddball shelf.
They did make a Gargan but it was nothing like the original hardcopy and was to articulated, but i still bought it.
Its not a bad idea OP, and it could happen one day, who knows, if they did, and they did it properly i could see plenty of vintage guys buying them just for the hell of it, i would be one.
cheers
Back to top Go down
dj121
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 6:37 pm

budspencer wrote:
Hi Folks.

I collect both the Vintage Kenner stuff and the modern stuff. I mainly collect for the nostalgia factor. I can say that i am not in for the money on this. I don't plan on buying all of this than try to make cash on resell. I am madly in love with the Kenner packaging for the star wars items so that is why i try to get my playsets and vehicles in their original boxes. I would do the same for the figures but at this time they are a bit too expensive for me. I have a good chunk of the ANH boxed items ( playsets and Vehicles ) and i have dabbed in a tiny bit in the other 2 films but not much. I want to work more on ANH first because the stuff is harder to find and will go up in price faster than the other stuff from the other 2 films.

To answer the topic Hasbro pretty much messed up their chance with this modern vintage line. They had a lot of distribution issues and a lot of people never got a chance to get some figures from that line. But they had a few awesome mail ins. Rocket firing Boba Fett and prototype Armor Boba Fett.

Hasbro has redone a lot of the vintage style cards and have stopped. They are put on hiatus as per Lucasfilm, that is what Hasbro is saying. I dont think that the vintage style cards are coming back anytime soon. I managed to collect of good chunk of that modern line but they are done so no Hasbro wont fill in the Kenner gaps.

However Hasbro said that they can still release vehicles and they have done a good bunch of them so far.

Millenium Falcon. ANH style box
AT AT ROTJ style box
Y-wing ROTJ style box
Tie Fighter ESB style box
Landspeeder ANH style box
Snowspeeder ESB style box
TaunTaun ESB style box
X-wing ANH style box
Slave 1 ESB style box
Tie interceptor ROTJ style box

You forgot the AT-AT in the ESB box. Also a TRU exclusive.

The Vintage collection was put on hold because the focus WAS supposed to be the 3-D release of episodes 2 and 3.
That is why the green Yoda package made a brief appearance. Now we are stuck with the super deformed Vader package and the Black Series. I'm afraid this is probably the look of the lines until Episode VII figures make a debut. Hasbro has said when the time is right, TVC will return, as they had a lot more figures planned for the line. I would not be surprised if we see the return for the primary card design of Ep VII figures. From there, they can start to re work some of the OT figures into the line on Vintage style cardbacks. All speculation of course, but wouldn't it be really cool to go buy a new EP VII Luke on a 1978 style card?
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 11:02 pm

I have the same idea as many other that Vintage should return with the new movies.

It would be the perfect timing and perfect look since it would still be considered a continuation of the saga. A lot of people are hoping and praying that this is the case. But i am a bit skeptic. I read and heard many times that Hasbro's plan was to redo all the original figures on TVC cards which clearly they did not do. Also it would seem unlikely that old vintage toys like Amanaman would sit on the shelf TVC with a TVC style Luke Skywalker form the new movie.

Right now Hasbro is struggling with the small black series line. Lame packaging. Over producing some figures. Lame figures to start the line plus packaging falling apart. The 6 inch line made a brief appearance then has vanished. It seems that Hasbro is falling again in distribution problem with the 6 inch line like they did with TVC at the end of the line. I got lucky i got all four of them but i wanted multiples of them especially the sandtrooper and they are just not returning to my local stores. Is there a shortage or are the stores just not wanting to deal with this line?

Personally i am madly in love with the 6 inch line. I think this is the best thing that came out of the company after TVC but Hasbro will mess this up as usual and we will end up with a line that is probably going to be cancelled early in its infancy.

Hasbro cannot produce anything good these days. New blood needs to come in and pick the mess up and refocus the brand in a direction that pleases the fan and not just the suits at Hasbro. If it pleases the fan it will sell itself. It is not happening right now at Hasbro.

The only thing vintage that will come out are ships and they are done as exclusive and the companies doing them are charging scalping prices or messing up big time on shipping. If you follow the current Star Wars toys lines you will know what i mean.
Back to top Go down
dj121
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 5:42 pm

budspencer wrote:
I have the same idea as many other that Vintage should return with the new movies.

It would be the perfect timing and perfect look since it would still be considered a continuation of the saga. A lot of people are hoping and praying that this is the case. But i am a bit skeptic. I read and heard many times that Hasbro's plan was to redo all the original figures on TVC cards which clearly they did not do. Also it would seem unlikely that old vintage toys like Amanaman would sit on the shelf TVC with a TVC style Luke Skywalker form the new movie.

Right now Hasbro is struggling with the small black series line. Lame packaging. Over producing some figures. Lame figures to start the line plus packaging falling apart. The 6 inch line made a brief appearance then has vanished. It seems that Hasbro is falling again in distribution problem with the 6 inch line like they did with TVC at the end of the line. I got lucky i got all four of them but i wanted multiples of them especially the sandtrooper and they are just not returning to my local stores. Is there a shortage or are the stores just not wanting to deal with this line?

Personally i am madly in love with the 6 inch line. I think this is the best thing that came out of the company after TVC but Hasbro will mess this up as usual and we will end up with a line that is probably going to be cancelled early in its infancy.

Hasbro cannot produce anything good these days. New blood needs to come in and pick the mess up and refocus the brand in a direction that pleases the fan and not just the suits at Hasbro. If it pleases the fan it will sell itself. It is not happening right now at Hasbro.

The only thing vintage that will come out are ships and they are done as exclusive and the companies doing them are charging scalping prices or messing up big time on shipping. If you follow the current Star Wars toys lines you will know what i mean.
Sorry to disagree, but the 6" line has been replenished several times in my area already. Target sells out, and a couple days later they are back in stock. Maybe that is not the case in your area, but in mine, they have been selling very well, but returning to shelves rather quickly. I have yet to buy any of the 3 3/4 figures, but they seem to be selling rather well also. I have seen them come in, and gone within a week. Some stores are slow to re stock them, but my local Walmart has never even put them on the pegs. All that is filling the space is leftover TVC and that damn exclusive Naboo pilot!
Back to top Go down
AussieFortuna
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
AussieFortuna

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 1:01 pm

One thing i would really HATE to see is Hasbro remaking the actual vintage kenner figures that we already have affraid , it wouldnt be good for the hobby, Vintage figures are easy to find for anybody thats interested and then some.
Thats one thing we never need to see imo.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2013 1:27 pm

I'm on the fence with this one, part of me says yes and part of me says no. Vintage is vintage and modern day figures produced in the same style as vintage will always be modern.

On the other hand been able to own a set on unreleased droids and ewoks figures :Drool:  I'm having wet dreams already lol! 

Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 6:30 pm

I would not like to see hasbro do recasts of the original line. It would lead to fakes and angry vintage collector. I think that so far they struck the right balance with all the neo vintage stuff but they are also dropping the ball on many points like expensive prices on the store exclusives and not re-doing the original 12 backs which every was dying to see modernized.

Right now Hasbro is in angry bird mode and until that dies down you wont see them do too many crazy star wars things. I thinks its going to be real basic for a while. Nothing big was announced at the last few big cons so we just have to sit this time period out and cherry pick what we want to collect and not worry too much about the rest...

When rebels rolls around its gonna be fun and the movie will be not too far behind so next year is going to be a very good year to collect.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?   What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are the odds of Hasbro filling Kenners gaps?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1