The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? Empty
PostSubject: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 12:06 pm

So here we have my little collection of pop-up R2's with their correct sabers. Now I acquired a fifth saber in the UK, but it doesn't match any in my collection.

(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? DXrKT7L
R2D2: Glasslite Droids / Kenner Droids / Glasslite POTF / Kenner POTF

(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? JNSiEgW
Sabers: Glasslite Droids / Kenner Droids / Glasslite POTF / Kenner POTF / ???

(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? CqD5ePd
Saber ???

(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? GfFrS6J
Saber ???

(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? FttpmKn
Saber ???

Comparison:

It's moulded green, not painted (I made the small nick under the handle 3rd pic)
It floats
It has an injector pin mark on the handle
It's slightly more flexible then the Kenner/Glasslite
It's a different colour green

Any ideas? has anyone seen one like this before?

Last edited by walkie on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
arohk
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
arohk

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 1:31 pm

it looks like some I seen before I checked to see mine but it is the darker green one I tried to take a close look at the one you are holding 4th photo down it almost looks like there is writing on it like a coo or something just up from your thumb hard to tell though but from what I seen before from collectors here in the city and on the web I would say it is real repos seem to be much wider and heavier from the ones I seen. Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 3:34 pm

There is no writing on the saber, the area your referring to is an imperfection in the moulding.

Back to top Go down
Thargoil
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Thargoil

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 4:52 pm

100% repro.. (edit) at least i'm unaware of painted samples.
I have the same and scratched some paint of with a knife..
The innerplastic is much lighter.

Will post a picture tomorrow (with daylight).
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Looking forward to pics, however mine isn't painted.

Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 2:52 am

This is from another thread

"Hi Paul, here's that picture of the one Lars has, I've asked him it its definatly not painted like the other and he said he'd made a big cut and there was also another one already present when he got it. Here's what he said.

Green plastic not painted, floats, can also be bent, Original sabers plastic is much harder and not easy to bend.

The original repo I posted in this thread is also flexible."
(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? Image_zps2deee386

http://www.loresdelsith.net/rincon/armeria/c_r2sable_i.htm
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 4:00 am

So it's a repro.

Why is everyone calling them an original repro? it's kind of confusing ?!?!!

Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 6:04 am

walkie wrote:
So it's a repro.

Why is everyone calling them an original repro? it's kind of confusing ?!?!!

Original repo, I've not seen that?
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 6:12 am

My mistake sorry, I was viewing the thread on my iphone.

As for your photo it looks identical to mine.

I've just checked my paypal details from December and the seller was *drexler*

I believe he also has an account on swfuk so I will contact him about the item.

Last edited by walkie on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 6:33 am

I understand where your coming from mate, I'm not 100% sure this is a repo and in the end I even told Lars IMO it could be a shortshot of the Glasslite version. I only had his photo and discription to go of and compared them to my Glasslite, you have them all there in hand and say the colour is different to the Glasslite so I'd go for repo.
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 6:54 am

(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? JNSiEgW
Sabers: Glasslite Droids / Kenner Droids / Glasslite POTF / Kenner POTF / REPRO???

Both Glasslite saber's are semi-transparent, where as the colour of the "REPRO" one is solid. The Glasslite one's are noticeably different in colour.

In fact it is fair to say this saber matches nothing in my collection.

Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 7:39 am

It looks like they where specifically made in a lighter green and unsinkable plastic so that collectors would pass them off as Glasslite
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 10, 2013 8:34 am

snaggletooth wrote:

It looks like they where specifically made in a lighter green and unsinkable plastic so that collectors would pass them off as Glasslite

Those sneaky gits!

Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 4:10 am

All the others have circle on the handle. It seems to be missing that on the photos. Does it make the drop test? And how does it look when holding it in front of a lamp?

Damn hate those scammers trying to destroy our collecting hobby for their greed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 5:08 am

Some additional info regarding the saber...

The saber has a faint mould circle on the handle.
It passes the drop test and floats!
It is moulded in solid green
It does not turn transparent in front off a bright light

I hope to donate it to the TIG archives, I have contacted the original seller and I should receive a refund soon.

However what happens to the saber after is not yet 100% certain. IMO it's best out of circulation, but once I receive the refund it's the property of the original seller.

Back to top Go down
Rawlin
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
Rawlin

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 5:25 am

A bright lamp light goes through most of the original accessories with some exceptions, if it doesn't its usually because it's painted. It's a very good test especially on the light sabers.
It really look painted to me, but you have it in your hand and says it's not. I think it's safe to say that it's repro.

There is a more advanced test you can do if you like. Since you already have so many sabers, you can see how they look under UV light.
Back to top Go down
http://www.leksaksdoktorn.se
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 7:40 am

Good news, refund received for the repro saber, however the seller has asked for it back. Therefore I've taken a few close up pics for the TIG archives...

(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? 0T2GC0q

(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? Qm2t8q9

(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? XupRhBV

(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? ZAcMfdo

(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? M3ZvcHt

Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Stefan, ty for the photos to go to the Gunnery. Re float test: can you confirm if it floats back to surface when submerged?
Cheers Paul

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 4:16 pm

100% unsinkable

Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 3:08 pm

it's on ebay, although the seller states...

"All the accessories are original, apart from Luke's light sabre which I've been told is a repro."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Star-Wars-Jabba-the-Hutt-COMPLETE-16-figures-Max-Rebo-Band-Palitoy-/290960133510?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN&hash=item43be934d86

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?   (FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

(FAKE) Pop-up saber variant or repro?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1