The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Taking a break from Star Wars

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

Taking a break from Star Wars Empty
PostSubject: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 3:33 pm

I've ment to post this subject for quite awhile now. But I'm getting old and forgetful so it's taken me a bit.

I'm not talking about collecting the toys. Even though it's been almost two years since I picked up anything new SW toy wise. I'm talking about taking a long break from watching the movies. I don't know about in the US but here in Canada SPIKE TV ran all six SW movies so much I got sick of watching them. Most weekends there wasn't anything else good on so we'd have SW on as backround noise even if we weren't watching with full attention. So last November (2012) I decided to go SW movie free for a year just so maybe I could enjoy them again. I think it's working because I'll actually think to myself "I wouldn't mind watching ESB this weekend." But I won't for at least another 6 months.

Anyone else out there ever have this happen?
Back to top Go down
Stargeezer
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Stargeezer

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 4:09 pm

I havent seen An Sw movie in years, last time i saw An SW movie, it was the Adywan version of a new hope, when i got it from Andy a few years Back.

Thinking about this, Did Adywan complete ESB allready and does anyone has it?
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 5:21 pm

I normally only watch them once a year or so. I have a love of movies, so by the time I realize I haven't seen Star Wars in a while, it has been at least a year. It helps to not burn it out for me.

I do watch them back to back to back though. Either on one weekend day or over Sat and Sun to keep it all fresh.

As for the Adywan.. I haven't heard of those before. I just looked and it seems ESB might be out this year.
I am grabbing ANH now and will watch it soon though.

Have you watched the despecialized versions? I like those over most copies I have seen. A good mix of quality and original, unaltered versions.
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 8:48 pm

I haven't watched them in a while, but now hearing about them is getting my blood pumping to see them.

I actually have the Original Triliogy on Laserdisc. It's the unaltered, no editing, no Jabba in ANH verision.

Just have to buy a new Laserdisc player LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 9:37 pm

I have the unedited, hardly remastered versions on DVD. Just waiting for me to finish my self imposed sabbatical.
Back to top Go down
AussieFortuna
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
AussieFortuna

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 1:19 am

I havnt watched them in years, maybe only see each one of the original trilogy 3-4 times in my life and im nearly 40 so thats once every 10 years, great movies, but im actually only interested about SW because of the kenner toys and memories of playing with them.
If Kenner never released the action figures i wouldnt even have an interest in SW apart from saying they were pretty good movies back in the day.
Imo watching any movie too many times wrecks it, apart from my all time fav movie silence of the lambs, i watch it every time its on TV and never tire of it lol..

DO YOU HEAR THE LAMBS CLARICE :clap: bow :clap: bounce
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 2:48 am

I am actually taking also a break from watching the movies. I havent seen the OT since 2 years or so. I agree with you though. I am now looking forward seeing them again......Im just waiting for the right "moment" Wink

Cheers and good luck with your deprivaton...
Back to top Go down
Richard_H
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 4:39 am

Haven't watched the BluRay set full through yet. Think I got to ESB and stopped. Seen SW Re-visited recently and halfway through The Phantom Edit - which actually isn't put together that well IMO.

Although I don't watch the films as much anymore (certainly will watch the OT before Ep 7) I devour a lot of the EU stuff so it's always fresh and new for me.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 5:58 am

Hey Paul,

Sounds like a good idea to take a little break from watching the movies to get the spark back.

I watched the OT 5 or 6 times in total . The Prequels only twice (cinema and DVD).

I still have to watch the Holiday Special from begin till end, a few attempts to do so failed half way. Sleep

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 7:43 am

I reckon I have watched the OT at least a hundred times each, easy. Prequels not so much but still at least 20 times I reckon.
Call yourselves Star Wars fans. Razz
Back to top Go down
plantainman
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
plantainman

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 8:46 am

Josh wrote:
I reckon I have watched the OT at least a hundred times each, easy. Prequels not so much but still at least 20 times I reckon.

Quick bit of maths says you've spent nearly a whole month of your life watching these movies Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Josh
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 9:11 am

Sadly...yes lol! I watched them heaps when we were kids. Thrashed the VHS copies we had. Now with kids of my own, they have been over played also Razz Admittedly I have had them on in the background a lot though whilst I paint and make diorama's. Have burnt myself out a bit from them if I am being honest. Still bung them on every once and a while but my DVD's are so scratched now from the kids it's about time I bought them again.
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 12:34 pm

Josh wrote:

I went to the theatre to see the original Star Wars 7 times in 1977 (at 7 years old What a Face )
Like Josh , I have watched the OT at least a 100 times over the years but have only seen the prequels a couple times with the exception of part 3 . Part 3 I have seen a couple times more as it is the only prequel that I half way liked .

I would say I still watch the OT 2 or 3 times a year - once would probably be enough but , believe it or not , my wife is usually the one to say " hey , lets watch Star Wars again " Very Happy I can understand her wanting to see it more often though because , until we got married , she had never seen any Star Wars movies at all (she didn't see them until she was 36 years old No ) . Now she has been happily converted into a Star Wars geek cheers

Glad to see you are not giving up toys or the forum Kisstour - when I 1st saw your post I got really worried that you were leaving us all togeather - that would have made me a sad chicken Sad

Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 3:17 pm

I've probably seen the OT about a hundred times by now. And if it weren't for them being in constant rotation on SPIKE I'd probably not be in my self imposed layoff. But they were on so much last year I got burned out on them. Like I said even if we weren't watching them with full attention they were on in the backround as something for my wife to listen to while she works (she works as a writer and her "office" is the living room. So she always has the TV on as a distraction between paragraphs) Now I'm not so sure it's any better because now the backround noise she has on is usually Duck Dynasty, Dance Moms, Operation Repo or something else like that.

No ourchickenshack, I'm still going to be here bothering you guys. I'm sure sooner or later I'll even buy something Star Wars related again to share with you guys.
Back to top Go down
JesseVader08
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
JesseVader08

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 4:00 pm

I haven't watched the movies much in the last couple years, I have tried to avoid getting burnt out on them. I got the Blurays last Christmas, but I think I've only watched ANH so far. I had knee surgery on Friday so I'm going to be spending some time on the couch, perhaps ESB will have to get put on.

And I too am glad you're sticking around, TIG needs its wiley veterans. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://galacticheroes.wordpress.com
Richard_H
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Glad I joined here I've learnt something new already!

Didn't realise DVDs had made it to Australia already.

Probably watched the OT around the 50 mark. Prequels 20 or so.

Couldn't get the OT on video as a kid so had to make do with reruns on the tele as and when.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taking a break from Star Wars   Taking a break from Star Wars I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Taking a break from Star Wars

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1