The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

SW or Scifi shows?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ki4gsz
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
ki4gsz

SW or Scifi shows? Empty
PostSubject: SW or Scifi shows?   SW or Scifi shows? I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 7:54 pm

I'm most likely not calling it the correct term, but are there times when collectors get together to buy & sell SW or scifi toys?

I'm looking (and not finding) any in New England over the summer.
Back to top Go down
Richard_H
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

SW or Scifi shows? Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW or Scifi shows?   SW or Scifi shows? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 2:37 pm

In the UK they're called:

Exhibitions
Cons
Fayres or Fairs depending on how they spell it Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

SW or Scifi shows? Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW or Scifi shows?   SW or Scifi shows? I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 3:24 pm

There are a few big shows coming up in the Toronto area, if you want to travel north west.........

http://www.toycon.ca/

Good luck in the hunt.

Clint
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

SW or Scifi shows? Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW or Scifi shows?   SW or Scifi shows? I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 7:54 pm

There are a ton of names I have seen vintage SW stuff for sale at over the years (nothing recent, but I haven't looked too much) and some at shows that the names I would never have guessed to see SW stuff.

I am from NJ, and I know the names should be in line with what you will see:
  • Monster-Mania Show or Monster-Mania Con
  • Retro Toy Con or Retro Toy Show
  • Sci-Fi/Horror Con or Sci-Fi/Horror Show
  • The Horror Show
  • Toy & Collectibles Show
  • Toy Show or Toy Con
  • Comic Show or Comic Con (not the big boys like in SD or NYC, just locals)
Most of those were hosted in either hotels near a major airport or local fire-halls, VFW or American Legion Posts.

If I think about more, I will post 'em. The shows above I have gone to were in NJ or PA or lower upstate NY or lower CT in the past but that was well over 15+ years ago so I don't know if any still run. I loved the Monster ones BTW! Weird people... weirder than Sci-Fi fans or Trekkies! Shocked

About 20 minutes from my house they do a Toy & Collectibles Show in Wayne, NJ pretty much monthly but I haven't gone since I got the collecting bug again, but back in the day there weren't any deals really... just average prices since they all knew what they had... but I am better at haggling now and more focused and plan on attending the next one on June 2nd so who knows.
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
ki4gsz
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
ki4gsz

SW or Scifi shows? Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW or Scifi shows?   SW or Scifi shows? I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 8:00 pm

OK, so it's not my addled brain, these things do hide (sometimes in plain sight).

Yeah, being up here, it's tough to find anything "local" but Albany, Utica, Boston would be the directions I guess I'd be heading.

But if there's no deals to be had, not sure if I shouldn't just wait till there's an actual convention & hit a dealers room then. Not sure I could costume these maniacs on top of everything else.

I wish I knew how my parents pulled off the minor miracles they did...maybe stuff was just cheaper then.

Thanks for the information.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SW or Scifi shows? Empty
PostSubject: Re: SW or Scifi shows?   SW or Scifi shows? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SW or Scifi shows?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1