The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

RIP Ray Harryhausen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

RIP Ray Harryhausen Empty
PostSubject: RIP Ray Harryhausen   RIP Ray Harryhausen I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 4:14 pm

The special effects pioneer died today aged 92. As a kid I was in awe of his monsters and mythical creatures that appeared in films like Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans. RIP Ray.

RIP Ray Harryhausen Jasona10
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: RIP Ray Harryhausen   RIP Ray Harryhausen I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 4:28 pm

The films that he worked on like Clash of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts are some of the 1st films I can remember watching as a kid that were not kids films, I can still sit down and enjoy them even today.
Ray you were a pioneer in film effects in an era before CGI and may you rest in piece.
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: RIP Ray Harryhausen   RIP Ray Harryhausen I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Another legend bows out. Crying or Very sad

Thank you for some of the best stop motion in cinema Ray, you helped to shape the childhood of a generation & influenced some of our greatest film makers.
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: RIP Ray Harryhausen   RIP Ray Harryhausen I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 6:08 pm

RIP Ray Sad
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: RIP Ray Harryhausen   RIP Ray Harryhausen I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 10:34 am

I watched 20 Million Miles To Earth last night as my own little tribute. I think tonight may be a Jason and the Argonauts night.

RIP Ray. We'll miss you.

Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: RIP Ray Harryhausen   RIP Ray Harryhausen I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 11:28 am

A pioneer. That simple.

RIP
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: RIP Ray Harryhausen   RIP Ray Harryhausen I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 3:53 pm

Thank you for bringing us stop motion, and Clash of the Titans!

Rest In Peace, Ray.

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: RIP Ray Harryhausen   RIP Ray Harryhausen I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 9:59 pm

RIP sir. You laid the foundation so that many could build on it.

thanks

Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: RIP Ray Harryhausen   RIP Ray Harryhausen I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 5:50 pm

I grew up watching Ray's films, I own everyone now, and I can still watch them now and be just as intirued as I was when I was a kid.

A true legend and inspiration.

R.I.P. Ray Sad
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

PostSubject: Re: RIP Ray Harryhausen   RIP Ray Harryhausen I_icon_minitimeSun May 12, 2013 6:16 pm

This is a simple animation I did about a day before Ray died, while being bored to tears at home, it's a test to see if I could get the gun to look like it was actually firing, cocking handle, ejecting shells, muzzle flash etc. All the sounds are authentic Tommy Gun sounds also. This took me 3 hours from start to finish with sound, I used 117 frames, this accomaated for about the first 13 shots fired, I then padded it out to 170 frames to cater for the full 30 round clip by reusing the first 13 shots again with a few extra. Works pretty well, but action man is limited (actually it's an action man head and hands attached to one of those artist manquin things). either way doing this was slow and frustrating and rushed, you truly get an appreciation of Ray's work when you try it yourself.

It probably jumps around like hell on here, only the original file on my computer seems to run smoothly Sad
Back to top Go down
Dark Sith Lord
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dark Sith Lord

PostSubject: Re: RIP Ray Harryhausen   RIP Ray Harryhausen I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 4:59 am

RIP Ray you will be missed. Thanks for your sterling work Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP Ray Harryhausen   RIP Ray Harryhausen I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIP Ray Harryhausen

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Off Topic
-