The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Repro pop up saber?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

Repro pop up saber? Empty
PostSubject: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 5:29 pm

I've been speaking with Frank about this bottom saber in the pics, he's had it a few years now and always thought it was Legit. My first question was weather it was painted because that's what it looks like to me, he checked this out and it's solid plastic and also floats when placed on top of the water but sinks when pushed under, just like the POTF and Droids versions but it still doesn't look right to me.

As you can see it's length is also good, Lars on SWFUK also had one of these but it is lighter and shorter, it looks like they've sorted the length out and I suspect there both repo and meant to replicate the POTF and Droids versions, would love to hear what you guys think.

Repro pop up saber? Image_zps910b1f3f
Repro pop up saber? Image_zps797d3f03
Repro pop up saber? Image_zps829dd33e
Repro pop up saber? Image_zps88e8ae2a
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi Scott,

The one at the bottom looks 100% repro to me! The colour & moulding look way off! It looks like the other '90's repros I've seen.
I'd be interested to hear other opinions though!
Does it have the ejector pin mark on one side of the handle?
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 5:59 pm

cantina_patron wrote:
Hi Scott,

The one at the bottom looks 100% repro to me! The colour & moulding look way off! It looks like the other '90's repros I've seen.

Hi Steve

I agree but it floats the same and its not painted, no EPM but that's possible with the originals too :scratch:
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Hopefully others will chime in, but it looks completely wrong to me.
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 6:15 pm

cantina_patron wrote:
Hopefully others will chime in, but it looks completely wrong to me.

Thanks for your thoughts CP, here's a link to Lars thread on SWFUK
http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14443
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks for the link Scott. I'm no expert on R2 pop-up sabers, but based upon my limited experience, if I saw that one advertised for sale I wouldn't touch it!
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 6:48 pm

cantina_patron wrote:
Thanks for the link Scott. I'm no expert on R2 pop-up sabers, but based upon my limited experience, if I saw that one advertised for sale I wouldn't touch it!

I'd also agree with that mate and it was just the facts that these repo guys have the float/sink thing down to a t and that Frank has had this for 5 years now that got me thinking.
Back to top Go down
Paul Armory
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Paul Armory

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 11:09 pm

cantina_patron wrote:
Hi Scott,

I definitely agree about the bottom one, I have one I keep for the comparision reasons. You can see it's painted for sure! The top one I can't speak about due to my lack of knowledge at this point. I shall goto the link you provided and do some more learning for sure!!!
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 4:10 am

The dark green saber does look way off and screams repro.
Scott, does Frank remember where he acquired it? 5 years is a long time ago I know.

As to Lars's (short lighter green) saber, Fletch made reference to one that fits the description in a previous thread of Lars: http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3823-droids-r2-d2-lightsaber

FLETCH wrote:

there are a lot of fake out there including a repro that floats and is cast in green plastic but its slightly shorter

The PopUp saber is always a head-scratcher. We're still in the process of updating the Gunnery main site. Looking at the Pop-Up saber section I'd like to add some more written info regarding the floating/sinking and EPMs of the various types. If anyone can help with the written info that'd be much appreciated.

Looking at info confirmed by Dennis (StarGeezer) and Wolff, http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t1730-r2-pop-up-saber-floater-or-sinker?highlight=saber can we now say:

POTF - Green - floats when placed on water - sinks when pressure is applied.

DROIDS - darker green - floats when placed on water - sinks when pressure is applied.

GLASSLITE - lighter green - floats - does NOT sink when pressure is applied - always floats to surface.

What about EPMs (circles) ? Do you think that they can come with or without for the POTF and Droids versions?

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 5:23 am

Artoo_Detour wrote:

What about EPMs (circles) ? Do you think that they can come with or without for the POTF and Droids versions?
My loose POTF example has a EPM, when I can access it, I'll check my carded one.
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 am

Artoo_Detour wrote:
The dark green saber does look way off and screams repro.
Scott, does Frank remember where he acquired it? 5 years is a long time ago I know.

As to Lars's (short lighter green) saber, Fletch made reference to one that fits the description in a previous thread of Lars: http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3823-droids-r2-d2-lightsaber

FLETCH wrote:

there are a lot of fake out there including a repro that floats and is cast in green plastic but its slightly shorter

The PopUp saber is always a head-scratcher. We're still in the process of updating the Gunnery main site. Looking at the Pop-Up saber section I'd like to add some more written info regarding the floating/sinking and EPMs of the various types. If anyone can help with the written info that'd be much appreciated.

Looking at info confirmed by Dennis (StarGeezer) and Wolff, http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t1730-r2-pop-up-saber-floater-or-sinker?highlight=saber can we now say:

POTF - Green - floats when placed on water - sinks when pressure is applied.

DROIDS - darker green - floats when placed on water - sinks when pressure is applied.

GLASSLITE - lighter green - floats - does NOT sink when pressure is applied - always floats to surface.

Hi Paul, I don't remember that quote of Fletch, thanks for the info. 2 repos then that are not on the gunnery, I'll get some pics/info of that one Lars has for you.

Dennis info confirmed by wolf is spot on IMO and what I go off, this repo is also " - darker green - floats when placed on water - sinks when pressure is applied.

IMO all the pop up sabers are possible with or without EPMs and I'm sure I've seen one of the variants with and without the but I'm not 100% on that, the POTF one on top in the pictures has one, they are just ejector pin marks and found on other accessories in all shapes and sizes, not always present, some go in, some go out and others are flush but hardly noticeable. Depending how cool the plastic was when there ejected out of the mold would have determined how much of the circle you could see wouldn't it?

I've been speeking to Frank again this morning and he's been chopping away even more at this and now beleves that it is actually painted, as do I but that doesn't take away from the fact that this repo does float until taped under the water Evil or Very Mad

He's taken some more pictures and as you can see the paint was put on really thick.
Repro pop up saber? IMGP3387_zps96fe6003Repro pop up saber? IMGP3389_zps2355d755
Repro pop up saber? IMGP3385_zpseba1acb5

Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 7:44 am

@ Scott - hi mate, cheers for your thoughts and for adding the further info and pics - good job Frank kept hacking throught all that paint!

and yes pass on the info to Lars plz Smile If we can get some nice clear pics we can add it to the Gunnery along with Frank's.

cantina_patron wrote:
Artoo_Detour wrote:

My loose POTF example has a EPM, when I can access it, I'll check my carded one.

thanks Steve!

@ Wolff...... this is your pic taken from the main site, it's labelled as 'standard version'. That's the POTF right? If so I'll rename it on the site when I improve the descriptions.

R2-D2 Pop Up Lightsaber Original Variant 1 Standard Version
Repro pop up saber? R220po10

does anyone have a single pic of a DROIDS saber to the same quality as the pic above?

thanks for any help Smile

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 7:49 am

Thanks for the update Scott, at least Frank has confirmed that the dark green saber is indeed repro. I have to admit that when I've encountered these, I have not carried out the 'float test' due to the fact that they can be so easily identified by appearance. Embarassed
That's some useful additional information to know.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 8:25 am

Frank picked it up from a car boot as a carded droids R2 but with an open bubble, 5 years ago. It could be the same as the ones already known but just that not all of them sink, also worth noting that this one looks like a light green or clear plastic not black like the example on the gunnery.
Back to top Go down
dj121
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 10:02 am

This is the exact reason why I wish that repros had never come along to begin with. This poor guy has believed for 5 years that he had a legit saber, only to find out now that it is indeed a fake, passed off as vintage. THIS pisses me off!

Great work in finally coming to the answer, guys! I hope he is able to find a legit saber. I'll keep my eyes open for one, and let someone here know should it turn up!
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 11:01 am

dj121 wrote:
This is the exact reason why I wish that repros had never come along to begin with. This poor guy has believed for 5 years that he had a legit saber, only to find out now that it is indeed a fake, passed off as vintage. THIS pisses me off!

Great work in finally coming to the answer, guys! I hope he is able to find a legit saber. I'll keep my eyes open for one, and let someone here know should it turn up!

Your right dj and they piss us all off, Frank said he got it with the card and open bubble but the seller wasn't 100% sure on the saber at the time, I should have made that clear from the start.
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 3:36 am

Hi Paul, here's that picture of the one Lars has, I've asked him it its definatly not painted like the other and he said he'd made a big cut and there was also another one already present when he got it. Here's what he said.

Green plastic not painted, floats, can also be bent, Original sabers plastic is much harder and not easy to bend.

The original repo I posted in this thread is also flexible.
Repro pop up saber? Image_zps2deee386

Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 4:07 am

Cheers Scott - PM on way too Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Repro pop up saber?   Repro pop up saber? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Repro pop up saber?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1