The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions? Empty
PostSubject: Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions?   Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi all

What do you think of getting restoration kits in order to collect loose cardbacks?
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions?   Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 5:11 pm

Personally I'd rather spend my money on genuine loose cardbacks!
Back to top Go down
chris.75
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
chris.75

PostSubject: Re: Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions?   Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 5:40 pm

cantina_patron wrote:
Personally I'd rather spend my money on genuine loose cardbacks!

Yeah, i agree with Steve your much better off spending your money on the real thing. They can look pretty good displayed in a toploader. Or alternatively, if its just for a source of reference, you could get the card images off google and print them yourself and save quite a bit. only forking out for the paper/card and ink.

maybe check this out:
http://www.vintagestarwarscollectables.co.uk/Star%20wars/cardbacks/cardmenu.html

Last edited by chris.75 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
psybertech
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
psybertech

PostSubject: Re: Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions?   Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 6:10 pm

Holy crap!
I was/am just thinking reallllll hard on this.

When I first joined the site and got the collecting bug back a few months back I asked the same question. Mostly the responses were against it for a bunch of reasons, mostly being the cost. I saw the cost of under $10 a card to be not bad since it would secure and protect the figure at the same time as looking cool. I didn't think about Star Cases on top of that (3-5$ each) but still really not that bad.
So figure max $15 each for a cool looking, somewhat protected figure. Before I posted the question to TIG, I already had an order in with a site that makes great reproductions and the cards actually say "Reproduction Packaging" on the back (I liked that idea).
I got my cards and actually LOVED re-carding them! It was a hobby within a hobby. All said and done, I have the first 21 run, plus an extra Stormy and a few extra Fetts. They do look awesome. Truly awesome! I hand any one of them to friends and family and they freak at first thinking they are real and then when I tell them they are repros, they still are in awe of it. The figs are all near mint, complete and no repro weapons and I love the figures inside to say the least.

FLASH FORWARD......

I am thinking about selling them. I am torn on removing them first and throwing the un-carded ones them to the eBay dogs or maybe leaving on the card to get a few extra bucks. I honestly don't know what to do other than I just know as much as I LOVE them but I could use the cash to help me focus now that I see what sub/mini-focuses I want to get into.

I have a full run of the first 12 both loose and re-carded and perhaps if I only had 1 complete run, I would just stick with the recards.
But since I have both, I see them now as more teases for things I want badly. If/when I get rid of the full run of recards, I might do it again. Again, it was a fun project and the end result is stunning on display but space is also something I didn't think much on.
The first 12 hang on my wall perfectly. Once I add in my real MOCs, I quickly found no room for the rest of the 21 run. So they sit in a mocked up store display like box I made and tucked away. Sad The last 8 figures are hidden and almost pointless.

Anyway... you have been into this for a longer time so I am sure you are not like I was. My OCD and inner child just went into high gear and I didn't give things much thought.

It isn't so much the cost of the cards and cases for me at all. Right now I simply am looking at beautiful second set of figures I can't touch or swap/upgrade my loose run (which I have a cool display planned for).

Would I do it again straight out of the gate? NO.
Would I do it again down the road after sticking with this for a while? Maybe. Probably. Yes. But definitely more of a case by case (rather figure by figure) basis.

I know there are probably a few "I told you so's" on some people's tongues.
I still think it is great if you understand what you are getting into. I was too new to do it out of the gate. It cost me more out of pocket first getting back into collecting because it forced me to pay a little more here and there to get figures worthy of being recarded when my existing figures wouldn't do.

Sooooooooooo, I don't know if that helps. But don't be surprised if you see mine up for sale here reaaaaaaallll soon so I can spend that cash elsewhere.
If you do, please make sure the cards state reproduction on it! PM me if you don't know where to get them from IF you decide to go that route.

I still don't know what I am going to do with mine..... this topic creeped me out a bit on the timing... can you read minds and can you see me?

cheers!
Smile
Back to top Go down
http://leia.bespin.info/
Paul Armory
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Paul Armory

PostSubject: Re: Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions?   Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 10:58 pm

@psybertech-----WHOA that was deep rofl

Bud, like sybertech my bug startred not too long ago as well, you were the first person I pm'd about getting your Tie Fighter motor working, remember Laughing I started it with the opinion of 100% VINTAGE ORIGINAL ONLY and I've keep to that. I did toss around the idea of repro cards.... but that won't happen. Sybertech made a great point kissass pertaining to a hobby within a hobby. I love the idea and concept but as he also stated...he is now facing that dilemma of selling or not.

I wish you the best with whatever path you decide to take and no matter what...it will be the right one Smile
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions?   Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 12:31 pm

I am a hardcore fan of MOC. I collect the recent TVC cards and love them to death. I am not an opener as some would say.

That being said we all know that getting the original 21 ( at least ) involves getting a mortgage or having money coming out of your ears to be able to collect them all.

I am also a huge fan of Kenner's printed work. i.e cardbacks, boxes, flyers, puzzles, packaging and catalogs etc etc.. I dont think that no one company so far has been able to match the epicness of the graphic style that Kenner used in their products for Star Wars. Not even Hasbro has come close. They had to borrow from Kenner to actually have some sucess with some of their lines so it shows you how much Kenner was right on the ball.

Like i said i would need a another mortgage which i cannot do so the cheapest way would be to get repro cards. Why not go with the originals? you might ask.

I am a darn perfectionist and seeing a cardback torn apart breaks my heart. I could not willingly bring myself to get a card that has half of the front missing because it was badly peeled off. Ok it is original to the real date it was made but it is in bad shape. Getting good looking cards is rare and it could take years to get a decent collection going if you only shop on ebay. I would get some original cards but they would need to be pretty darn amazing to look at and that would mean spending big bucks. My focus is trying to complete my loose collection. I can say that i am at 70 right now out of the 93 plus the other extra figures. I would need to upgrade a few out of the 70's i have to get better copies but i am doing well. I also have multiples of several figures i could try to resell on ebay to generate some cash for the ones i am missing. I am falling into the POTF figures and out of 93 that i have to collect 13 of them are POTF, the more expensive ones. so i am close to beign done with the original Trilogy's figures.

Getting back on topic, I would want those cards for visual value. I would want them for the front and back picture and what they represent. I don't think i would go as far as going to recard an entire set of 93 loose figure just because the cards are available. I would rather buy them put them in a binder to reference because it is so darn cool!

Out of vanity i might recard the first 21 if i had those kits because i love that series so much but i would not go beyond that since Esb and ROTJ and POTF are more common to be able to obtain. No point of paying 20$ for a Teebo kit when you can get an actual real card for just a bit more...

To answer Psyber:

I would keep them as is. You put a lot of work and effort into achieving that goal. Besides there is a gazillion loose figures out there so it is not a problem to get them back as long as you have the cash flow.

I could describe this as a situation wherein someone wants something real bad, they get it, then the thrill dies and they push it aside and want another thrill. I am like that. That is why i jump from one thing to another. One day it is a figure, another day a playset, another day its topps cards etc....it all small goal to achieve a bigger goal. Being Happy. Even if you think right now that you are not getting anything out of it i am sure that down the road, you would go back to those and have them and be able to look at them and be proud of yourself and say to yourself.

"I did that"

and no one can take it away from your memory. I think collecting Star Wars is all about generating some fond memories of your childhood and regain your innocence that was lost as part of becoming an adult...

To me collecting makes me feel like a kid again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions?   Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Restoration kits to get cardbacks. Your opinions?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1