The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Noob questions about R2-D2 dome

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

Noob questions about R2-D2 dome Empty
PostSubject: Noob questions about R2-D2 dome   Noob questions about R2-D2 dome I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 8:32 pm

ok.

2 very noobs questions because i still don't know the answers.

what is a solid dome R2-D2 and how did it come about ?

what is a golden dome R2-D2?
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Noob questions about R2-D2 dome   Noob questions about R2-D2 dome I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Bud, I think these are terms more used on ebay than anywhere else. The solid dome is just a regular r2d2 without the telescoping sensor or the pop up lightsaber. As for the golden dome, I have seen this term used but I think it is discoloration more than anything. The chrome turns a yellowish color. I may be wrong but as I dont collect carded I have never heard of one sealed on card that came from the factory with the golden yellow color. Some one else may be better able to answer this.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
Paul Armory
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Paul Armory

PostSubject: Re: Noob questions about R2-D2 dome   Noob questions about R2-D2 dome I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Hey Bud,

I agree with TrappedTexan on both dome questions...Solid and discoloration. When the chromed dome turns yellow, it looks gold.

But here is a link Very Happy

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t2383-r2-d2-gold-dome-and-tai-chewie-questions
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Noob questions about R2-D2 dome   Noob questions about R2-D2 dome I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 12:57 am

The golden dome is indeed discolouration, I thought due to yellowing of the varnish on the chrome.

Noob questions about R2-D2 dome Th_R2D2GoldenDome

From: http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3379-everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-discolored-figures-but-were-afraid-to-ask
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Noob questions about R2-D2 dome   Noob questions about R2-D2 dome I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 3:01 am

It's actually the same with the "GOLDEN" deathstar droids out there....

Noob questions about R2-D2 dome Ll74Zod

Noob questions about R2-D2 dome Kv5EqC5

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Noob questions about R2-D2 dome   Noob questions about R2-D2 dome I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 3:05 am

Great comparison pic Stefan. Very Happy

Can you post it in the other thread as well pls, so I rememebr to put it on the overview page.
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Noob questions about R2-D2 dome   Noob questions about R2-D2 dome I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 3:18 am

ok boss Smile

Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: Noob questions about R2-D2 dome   Noob questions about R2-D2 dome I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks for the info folks!

Appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Nico
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Nico

PostSubject: Re: Noob questions about R2-D2 dome   Noob questions about R2-D2 dome I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 12:04 pm

Hey Bud, I too was unsure of these terms, so we have both learnt something Very Happy
Also guy's is the yellow discolouration down to a direct sunlight thing ?, or the type of paint/varnish used ?
Cheers Andy.
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: Noob questions about R2-D2 dome   Noob questions about R2-D2 dome I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 12:59 pm

I completely agree that the gold colored droids are a result of degradation over time . However , one thing that I have noticed over the years is that the Gold Colored DS Droids I have come across always seem to look much better condition wise . I have had at least 5 of them come through my hands and all of them had better black paint and a much smoother , shiny chrome finish than the typical silver ones . Since DS Droids are notorious for having really poor factory paint jobs it makes me wonder if at some point Kenner "quality control" perhaps added a clear protective coat of some kind (like a lacquer) to protect or improve the paint ? It just makes more sense to me that a lacquer would yellow , or basically turn golden over time but I am not sure how the actual silver paint itself would turn gold .
It's just a theory but it makes sense to me Very Happy It doesn't change the fact that the gold is degradation but it does make me think that they were probably later released versions that Kenner stepped in and tried to improve the quality and/or durability of the paint and chrome finish Very Happy
Regardless , I really like the gold droids and even Metallic Green Pouch Chewys (and other metallic green hair figures) because they are pretty to look at What a Face Yes , technically its degradation but I prefer to think of it as a "lovely patina" that a few figures develop over time lol!
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Noob questions about R2-D2 dome   Noob questions about R2-D2 dome I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 1:32 pm

I agree with James on this too, I think the gold color is from the varnish or finish coat that they put on the figure to better protect it. Over time this varnish tinted to a gold color.

I have caviar dreams and McDonald's pockets
Back to top Go down
Nico
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Nico

PostSubject: Re: Noob questions about R2-D2 dome   Noob questions about R2-D2 dome I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 2:05 pm

That theory certainly makes sense and I think is a good shout !
Many thanks for your help guy's Very Happy
Cheers Andy.
Back to top Go down
eljawa
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
eljawa

PostSubject: Re: Noob questions about R2-D2 dome   Noob questions about R2-D2 dome I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 5:03 pm

I never understood Solid dome. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noob questions about R2-D2 dome   Noob questions about R2-D2 dome I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Noob questions about R2-D2 dome

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1