The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Would you dance with the devil ??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

Would you dance with the devil ?? Empty
PostSubject: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:21 am

There are a LOT of dodgy sellers out there, guys that have a bad reputation and most of us know them.

For the most part I know we all steer WELL clear of their auctions or items, but there are always times when you stumble upon an auction of something you really want only to look up at the sellers name and have that sinking feeling..do you dance or do you walk ?

Patience is of course a virtue in this hobby but at times after long periods of searching and seemingly exhausting all avenues we all cave and go for something overpriced or something that might be too good to be true, so have you danced or would you dance with the devil if they had something you wanted?

First example :

No stranger to anyone , onetofivedayauctions... selling a dark grey NO COO Fett... well it could be Ledy, it could be "Meccano" or it could be homemade (probably Laughing ) he doesn't even show a picture of the back of the leg to prove its lack of COO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Star-Wars-1979-Boba-Fett-No-C.O.O._W0QQitemZ370326187304QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100127?IMSfp=TL1001271610004r16764#ht_2448wt_1165

$18 is a small gamble so it looks like people stayed away (thats good!) I would say if this was from a reputable seller it would have gone higher

Would you have bid?

I always like to hear peoples approach to getting what they want, caution seems to go out of the window even with the most informed and smartest collectors out there!
Back to top Go down
The Admiral
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
The Admiral

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:37 am

My first call would have been to ask seeller a question and prove the no C.O.O. by way of close up photo, then compare it to known examples especially the scar.
Then check the detail of the datestamp to known examples and also the figures details/colours.

And then probably buy, bid or move on, i dont know that guy nor do i check every vintage watch out as there really IS a lot of homework to do.

Do your homework and your half way there i guess is the morale of the story, if the seller does their part and the postal services dont fuck up all should be good Smile
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:42 am

I agree on the Fett example and it goes for most auctions that aren't well pictured or you gamble on , but but the real question is, if you have knowledge of a guys bad reputation but he has something you want, do you buy it and ignore your common sense?
Back to top Go down
The Admiral
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
The Admiral

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 10:06 am

Its all down to the price and how bad you really want it then i guess, are you a gambler or do you wait another week/month/year lol, if its cheap i would gamble Smile
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:27 am

Only in the pale moonlight. Wink

As you know Joe, I recently took a risk with a well known scammer. The only reason I did it was that it was an item I've wanted and at a price that I felt I could afford to lose if the deal didn't work out. I would never take that kind of risk on something expensive. As it stands now, I've been waiting for over a month and haven't received anything, so maybe that should be chalked up to lesson learned. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:54 am

I know our buddy at onetofiveday is bad news, but I took a shot in the dark with him on a PBP Greedo before and it turned out legit all the way. And the price was good too for the condition. Would I do it again, who knows. If the price is right and no others pop up in the next few months, probally. But then theres some out there I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole no matter what the item is.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 7:21 pm

I did it myself last year actually, Chris will hate me now but the 3 pack mailer box I won on ebay was from Craig Ginter, who at that time had a pretty bad reputation for going off the radar.

In my case he was a joy to work with, the guys got a temper and goes off the rails with his own personal problems but he came through so my gamble paid off.

Really pissed at your situation Shawn as I know all about it but at least the value was minimal and there is some contact with the "devil"
Back to top Go down
jimmymindtricks
Force Addict
Force Addict
jimmymindtricks

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 7:29 pm

ther isnt a day that i dont dance with the devil; you guy's havent met my wife and iam not lol-ing

but in the case you refer to , i just ask for a pic of the part i want to see

along with a note that sais , what i say, like , fuck repro - tig rules

most of the time , if a scammer he want be able to profide

you do have still got the possiblity that he has the item but has no intention of dhipping it off

but i sets your hopes up for 50 procent
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:55 pm

Joe_O wrote:
I did it myself last year actually, Chris will hate me now but the 3 pack mailer box I won on ebay was from Craig Ginter, who at that time had a pretty bad reputation for going off the radar.

No wonder my throat started to hurt when I touched that damn thing. He still has a bad rep period. Oh well, at least it passed through someone elses hands first.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:57 pm

Chris_J wrote:
Joe_O wrote:

No wonder my throat started to hurt when I touched that damn thing. He still has a bad rep period. Oh well, at least it passed through someone elses hands first.

LOL Sorry Chris, don't worry I had it long enough to erase any "evil" it might have soaked up Wink

I purified it Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:01 pm

Quote :
I purified it

That don't sound right. Laughing I had that thread printed out in case it got locked and still get a good laugh about it.
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 8:37 am

I hope it gets sorted for you Shawn.

Like many have said if a known dodgy seller had something i really wanted and the cost was pretty low then i would probably risk it i think.

Jay
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 am

jaymassive619 wrote:
I hope it gets sorted for you Shawn.

Like many have said if a known dodgy seller had something i really wanted and the cost was pretty low then i would probably risk it i think.

Jay

This is another good example of how happy I am that I collect relatively mainstream stuff. Once someone is outed or has the stigmata of being a scammer I am really put off and won't deal with them. I have a friend who bought weapons from a known repro guy. He paid top dollar and when he got them I went and looked at them. They were the real deal thankfully but in my head I still view the guy as a scammer and won't deal with him.

With minor exception bad sellers remain bad sellers. Shawn is sadly a prime example more than Joe_O's.

Shawn - Good luck , I do wish you the best.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:33 am

I've often been tempted with this. I've never pulled the trigger though.

Sometimes onetofiveday has some stuff that looks decent and I get really close, but there's always that little voice in the back of my head. Maybe that's Joe? Wink
Back to top Go down
The Admiral
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
The Admiral

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:34 am

Haha its gotta be Joe!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:36 am

Well I sincerely hope it's me but on the other hand I also kind of told Shawn to do his deal Embarassed

He could always ask for a refund from me if the scammer doesnt send the goods lol
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:43 am

Joe_O wrote:
Well I sincerely hope it's me but on the other hand I also kind of told Shawn to do his deal Embarassed

He could always ask for a refund from me if the scammer doesnt send the goods lol

I knew full well that I could possibly not get my item. We're only talking of about $6 so it didn't bother me to take a chance.

Although I do find Joe's voice in my head quite a bit these days. lol!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:45 am

Suspect

/me gets Shawn to send him all his collection, even those silly robots Cool
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:53 am

Joe_O wrote:
Suspect

LOL!

All of your collections belonging to us! Twisted Evil

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 1:40 pm

Joe_O wrote:
Suspect

We all know you want the He-Man stuff, Joe. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 1:49 pm

And who better to get He-Man figures from than the King of He-Man himself Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Now I know to go get some of those fugly Mex bootleg He-Mans for you for Christmas. 🎅 They got some wild colors for them.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 1:54 pm

You are too kind, in fact I was thinking the same thing for Shawns Xmas pressie so why not bypass me and send them straight to King Shawn Laughing
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:31 pm

Joe_O wrote:
You are too kind, in fact I was thinking the same thing for Shawns Xmas pressie so why not bypass me and send them straight to King Shawn Laughing

What's with the He-man talk again. Don't make me bust out your picture again Joe. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:33 pm

Chris started it! LOL

Someone make a picture up of Chris as skeletor instead Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would you dance with the devil ??   Would you dance with the devil ?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would you dance with the devil ??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next