The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Don Post original 1970's mask info thread!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dcarty
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
dcarty

Don Post original 1970's mask info thread! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Don Post original 1970's mask info thread!   Don Post original 1970's mask info thread! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 11:53 pm

Star Wars Canada wrote:
Hello, i have the original 1st issue Don Post Helmet 1977 bottom portion and need the helmet top. Is the 1st issue helmet top identical to the 2nd issue?
Thanks
Star Wars Canada

Hi there,

I own a first issue and a second issue Vader and ourchickenshack is right they are not the same. They are made from different materials, different manufacturing processes, and I suspect that the second issue is at the very least a revised, or possibly a totally new, sculpt.

But for a display piece a second issue top piece will work.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Star Wars Canada
New User
New User
Star Wars Canada

PostSubject: Re: Don Post original 1970's mask info thread!   Don Post original 1970's mask info thread! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 1:44 am

ourchickenshack wrote:
Star Wars Canada wrote:
Hello, I have the original 1st issue Don Post Helmet 1977 bottom portion and need the helmet top. Is the 1st issue helmet top identical to the 2nd issue?
Thanks
Star Wars Canada

I am far from a expert on these helmets but I would say no , they are not identical :

starwarsdan wrote:

The very first production run seems to have been largely hand-made, or perhaps it simply looks hand-made.  It's a bit sloppy. There is glue spillage in many places, including the front on the face around the eyes.  The eyes don't always perfectly line up to the sockets either.  
The plastic of the helmet itself is uneven, with thin spots, and as a result the helmets are often found racked or misshapen, like this-
Don Post original 1970's mask info thread! - Page 2 5922_10201374748749867_2063397668_n

You will notice also the Velcro is placed farther back than the later examples.   The thin and thick areas of the plastic are more obvious in this pic-
Don Post original 1970's mask info thread! - Page 2 1005272_10201374750989923_1089074472_n

Don Post original 1970's mask info thread! - Page 2 8702_10201374740829669_2142241791_n

For a display piece only I am sure that a later "helmet" release would look just fine , but , if you want your mask to be "Technically" correct , you will need to find a early release helmet to use with your mask  What a Face 

hope this answers your question  Very Happy

Thanks for the reply and clarifying of all this. I don't have the 1st issue but a 2nd issue with rounded tips...so i'm guessing just after the 1st white sticker release. I think i will search out a rounded tip 2nd issue to display my helmet-less Vintage 1978? Don Post Vader.....thanks for all the help...Smile...and yes i do agree the Vintage Helmet is the 1st and THe Best ...IMO.
Back to top Go down
elsapito-Vader
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Don Post original 1970's mask info thread!   Don Post original 1970's mask info thread! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2016 11:44 am

Hi guys first of all I am happy to have registered here!! alien alien
I might say the same as: "How funny that I just discovered this thread completely by accident while googling the first issue Don Post helmet!  "
Same for me. I have as one pointed the idea of making a good helmet for the Hasbro mask. Meanwhile I have met the chance of acquiring a DP original full pack. I wonder if some of the fellow member can provide with dimensions of helmet, such as
contour round the dom base (where the wings meet), length of the wing at centerline at the rear, length of the spine of the top (curved dimension) and also distance between the wings front corners.
To make yourself an idea, my project´s measures are 80cm for round contour and 30cm between corners.
I'd like to know to which extent is the DP standard helmet (top) undersized and if at least it's in same scale as mask or maybe related to the HAsbro. I started a self made helmet but looks oversized compared to the Hasbro mask. Besides, I am just a six feeter!! ;-)
Thanks in advance, more later!!
Ed: Ahem, BTW already have nade the introdcution post where I should! Embarassed hehe.
Soon I might start a thread with the helmet making off. Momentarily not as I cannot post pics yet.
Things go well, but I see it too big for the Hasbro. Maybe a switch when I have the DP...
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Don Post original 1970's mask info thread!   Don Post original 1970's mask info thread! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 2:47 pm

Jimbo, I just saw in here that Larry also has a don post helmet (or did). I would pm him as well as bud to see if either of them can help. Larry is a regular around here so he would likely see it within a day. Bud still comes on from time to time, but not daily that I have noticed. Both are good guys and would likely be willing to help. Larry is also a member of the 501st so might be able to help you with your build in some way.
Back to top Go down
elsapito-Vader
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Don Post original 1970's mask info thread!   Don Post original 1970's mask info thread! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 7:40 am

Thanks Bryan! Very Happy
Mabe I'll pm them, but nevertheless I think I am gonna take the plunge and buy the DP anyway. Smile
After all, it's an original 1978 unit and is some 35 bucks put at home (easy, it's local delivery) so unless I am very mistaken, it'd be really hard to get anything close to that deal on Ebay or Amazon, right?
Yes it's a bit cracked at the back of helmet, but fixable.
So it's probably me who will post the measurements and thus contribute to the forum instead of asking Laughing
I'll drop a line to the boys anyway to see what they think of what I'm brewing!
best regards
J
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don Post original 1970's mask info thread!   Don Post original 1970's mask info thread! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Don Post original 1970's mask info thread!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2