The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Vader Cape, Real or Fake?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

Vader Cape, Real or Fake? Empty
PostSubject: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 6:12 am

I've had this for a while now and I brought it in a child hood collection on ebay, at first I thought it was a fake and then PBP. Whats peoples thoughts, If its not real then it needs to go on the gunnery.
Vader Cape, Real or Fake? DSCF4800Vader Cape, Real or Fake? DSCF4799
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 9:14 am

Is the material soft?

The reason I ask is that at first glance, the textured side reminds me of the cape that came with my 'Made In Taiwan' Vader. I'll check it this evening.

Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Scott, can you try and get a couple of close up shots of the fabric pattern when you have chance? Be good to see this in more detail, cheers!

thevintagetoyadvertiser.org 1970s and 80s vintage toy ads and other retro paperworks

imperialgunnery.com Vintage Star Wars action figure weapons and accessories guide
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 4:44 pm

I've checked the cape that came with my 'Made In Taiwan' Vader & it does look very similar to yours, with the textured outer surface, smaller arm holes & square cut corners.
Mine is not in as good a condition, but I will try to take a photo in natural light in the hope that you can make a comparrison.
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 5:21 am

Here are my pics. What do you think?

Textured surface
[img]Vader Cape, Real or Fake? Dscn5920[/img]

Close up
[img]Vader Cape, Real or Fake? Dscn5921[/img]

Smooth surface
[img]Vader Cape, Real or Fake? Dscn5922[/img]
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 6:07 am

Thanks for the replays guys, I had a made in Taiwan vader but I don't think it's the same but ill take some better pictures and give you my thoughts on it tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 6:58 am

I can't find this any more and think it may be with James in OZ. I have found this picture though and the outside feels hard rough to touch not soft. Also looks rougher than your MIT cape above CP
Vader Cape, Real or Fake? DSCF4798
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 11:06 am

Ahh! From that picture yours is completely different in appearance to mine. Sorry I couldn't help on this occasion Scott.

Did you post a picture of that cape in another thread? As I'm sure I've seen a Vader cape with that texture here before.
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 11:23 am

cantina_patron wrote:
Ahh! From that picture yours is completely different in appearance to mine. Sorry I couldn't help on this occasion Scott.

Did you post a picture of that cape in another thread? As I'm sure I've seen a Vader cape with that texture here before.

It is a weird one but thanks for the effort CP, your right as It's also in the FOTW thread.

Any one else come across one of these?
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Here's the cape in the middle:
Vader Cape, Real or Fake? Sdc12782
the extra texture & thicker material makes it stand out to me as a fake. One of my biggest problems with vinyl is a lot of modern vinyl has a textured side & can make a 'zipping' noise ( just not the correct noise ) The lower cape has a texture ( & is fake ) the top one is a die cut fake Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 3:11 am

Thanks James, out of curiosity are those two textured capes the same cut, I can see the arm holes are different but what about the shape?
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 4:39 am

The shape seems to be the same

Vader Cape, Real or Fake? Sdc12783
Ledy on the left on top of the fake cape first mentioned in this thread, on the right is the other custom/fake/piece of shit reproduction crap tongue
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 6:42 pm

That cape looks very similar to a Toltoys 12 back cape. Is it thin and very soft? The figure should be a Taiwan only COO.
Bill Mcbride has some photos of this cape MOC.
I think aussiejames has a copy of that photo, if not i can post it here. I can also show a photo of a my loose figure with this type of textured cape.
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 6:58 pm

M4K3R1 wrote:
That cape looks very similar to a Toltoys 12 back cape. Is it thin and very soft? The figure should be a Taiwan only COO.
Bill Mcbride has some photos of this cape MOC.
I think aussiejames has a copy of that photo, if not i can post it here. I can also show a photo of a my loose figure with this type of textured cape.
Hi Oscar, thanks for your thoughts on this, from memory I think it feels hard and rough on the textured side but can't be sure, if you could take some pictures of your cape from your loose Tawan figure that would be great.
Back to top Go down
M4K3R1
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
M4K3R1

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 7:39 pm

No worries, hope this helps. Very Happy
This is a photo of Bill McBrides MOC Toltoys 12back with this textured cape.
Vader Cape, Real or Fake? TTVaderCape12b

This is my loose figure with this texture cape. I had the same doubts as everyone else, and thought this was a fake. But i sent Bill a photo and he confirmed it as a 12back Toltoys cape. The figure should have "Taiwan" only COO. The cape is very thin and very flexible. Notice the square cut corners, rough texture outside, and a smoother feel on the inside.
Vader Cape, Real or Fake? P1200013
Vader Cape, Real or Fake? P1200014
Vader Cape, Real or Fake? P1200015

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vader Cape, Real or Fake?   Vader Cape, Real or Fake? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vader Cape, Real or Fake?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1