The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

'TOLTOYS'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Chancellor_Peter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Chancellor_Peter

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks for sharing the pics of your Vintage Star Wars TOLTOYS collection.

Do you have a ballpark figure on how much a STAR WARS 20 Back TOLTOYS MOC Jawa will cost these days?
Back to top Go down
Dax
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Dax

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Well I could hardly stay away from this topic now could I? Firstly let me say Niiiiicccccceeee! for all the pics shown so far Smile

For those that aren't fully across Toltoys, much like Palitoy was the local distribution company for Star Wars in the UK, Toltoys was the distributor in Australia and New Zealand. As well as those countries though Toltoys item were occasionally sold in some south east Asian countries as well such as Singapore.

While they are linked by the Toltoys company and close geographical position it is apparent that there are some differences in product with the last few years raising the profile of packaged items unique to New Zealand. I think that John Kellerman's book helped greatly with this as it was the first time I'd heard of the NZ 48 back price circle card back and ever since then I've been searching for one... and finding out lots of other cool stuff too. To my understanding though no figures were manufactured locally in either country but I think it's possible that some of the packaging was either made or assembled locally which would explain the differences between the two countries.

New Zealand List

21 back 9/10th scale card with pyramid bubble

Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2)
Ben Kenobi
Jawa
Tusken Raider
Death Squad Commander
Greedo
Hammerhead
Snaggletooth
Luke Skywalker: X-Wing Pilot - (square 32 back style bubble, possibly a transition piece?)
R5-D4
Death Star Droid
Power Droid

It's possible others exist but I haven't seen or heard of them yet. The half-size characters have a different bubble that is square (not pyramid) and has no footer.

32 back square imprint bubble

Boba Fett
Leia Organa (Bespin Gown) full photo
FX-7
Imperial Stormtrooper (Hoth Battle Gear)
Rebel Soldier (Hoth Battle Gear)
IG-88
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues) shooting
Bespin Security Guard (white)
Yoda

It's possible others exist but I haven't seen or heard of them yet.

48 back price circle

Artoo-Detoo (R2-D2)
See-Threepio (C-3PO)
Darth Vader
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Fatigues) shooting
Yoda

It's possible others exist but I haven't seen or heard of them yet.

Only a handful of the above New Zealand figures are known to exist and many are known only as loose cardbacks with or without accompanying loose bubbles. As an indication of approximate rarity here are the populations of three relative counties in 1979:

US: 225,000,000
Australia: 14,500,000 (6.4% of the US population)
New Zealand: 3,100,000 (1.4% of the US population)

So if you thought tracking down an Australian item was hard, then having any New Zealand item in your collection is a very rare occurrence indeed!

For the Australian Toltoys items the following Mail Away offers were available:

Survival Kit 41 back
Display Arena 45 back
4-LOM 47 back
Nien Nunb 65 back
Build Your Armies - Micro Collection

There was no local card offer for Admiral Ackbar, Emperor or Anakin Skywalker although some of these items were available through other promotions. I know the Ackbar was part of the Star Wars Icy-pole promotion and Kellogs had a promotion with their cereal and decoder disks in which one prize was a free ROTJ figure. The figure pictured was a Gamorrean Guard but it is possible the actual figure was something else such as Ackbar or Emperor.

Another Mail Away that was not available in Australia was the POTF coin promotion however these were used as in-store promotions free with the purchase of a figure. A unique large square yellow sticker advertised the promotion and so far it has been confirmed that the promotion was run at both Toyworld and Wonderland of Toys stores.

The Survival Kit, 4-LOM and Nien Nunb figures have Australian return address details printed or stickered directly on the box. I haven't seen a local version of the Display Arena or Build Your Armies sets to confirm that they have this detail or not. If anyone has pictures of these I'd love to see them, and more importantly I'd love to buy/trade them for my collection!

The Nien Nunb figures in Australia incorporated the first 17 Jedi figures unlike the US and consequently these figures have become quite desirable to many collectors, particularly those with a character focus. Canada also featured the Nien Nunb offer on a 65 back with the same characters available but due to bi-lingual requirements the offer on the front of the card does not have the picture of Nien Nunb on it. Of the 65 characters available at the time, 50 are known to have been produced by Toltoys with the mail away offer on the card. It is likely some of the remaining 15 characters were simply never made at the time this offer was in circulation.

As James earlier highlighted one version of the offer has printed in the offer detail on the front of the card "Revenge of the Jedi" and this was covered with a semi-circular sticker with the correct "Return of the Jedi" text. Most figures will be seen with the sticker attached and it's likely those without a sticker were removed by the original owner back in the 80's to see what was underneath. To date three characters have been identified with the sticker and Revenge text: Luke Jedi, Squid Head and Lando Skiff.

The cardboard Death Star playset was available in both countries with the Australian version featuring a side opening box while the New Zealand version had a lift off lid similar to most board games. The Imperial Attack Base was also available in both countries with the Australian version featuring printed text on the front of the box proclaiming it was made in Australia while the New Zealand version was the same but had the addition of a multi-coloured Toltoys logo on the box and localised warranty paperwork inside the box. The Landspeeder produced for Toltoys also differs physically from the Kenner version.

That's probably more info than most people wanted but I'm sure there will be other areas still to be discussed regarding Toltoys Smile
Back to top Go down
orangpendek
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 5:58 am

Chancellor_Peter wrote:

Do you have a ballpark figure on how much a STAR WARS 20 Back TOLTOYS MOC Jawa will cost these days?

Hard to say,they don't pop up very often the last one i saw was an opened cardback + blister that sold for roughly $250
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:11 pm

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 100_7621_zps3c06709d'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 100_7625_zps40cd7f60

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1098264/#post19140282

And Chewie ( 48 back) & Leia (21 back) can be added to the list Smile
Back to top Go down
Chancellor_Peter
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Chancellor_Peter

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 11:14 am

orangpendek wrote:
Chancellor_Peter wrote:

Hard to say,they don't pop up very often the last one i saw was an opened cardback + blister that sold for roughly $250

Thanks orangpendek, and when was the last time you've personally seen a STAR WARS 20 Back Toltoys JAWA selling around that price, $250 - US or Australia Dollars? :buzzing:
Back to top Go down
orangpendek
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Thanks orangpendek, and when was the last time you've personally seen a STAR WARS 20 Back Toltoys JAWA selling around that price, $250 - US or Australia Dollars? :buzzing: [/quote]

I think it was closer to 280 aud unsure october last year .
Back to top Go down
bluedog
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
bluedog

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 7:44 pm

orangpendek wrote:

Thanks orangpendek, and when was the last time you've personally seen a STAR WARS 20 Back Toltoys JAWA selling around that price, $250 - US or Australia Dollars? :buzzing:

I think it was closer to 280 aud unsure october last year .[/quote]

Might be referring to this one?

Purchased this one from Nick on RS last year.

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 20121024_134611
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 9:10 am

Got sent this picture:
'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 P1010084

Shocked   Note the New Zealand warranty note

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 10334380_621895901230103_5730906757843908992_n

http://swnz.dr-maul.com/moretext.php?request=coll_toltoys#.VguYNvmqqkp

Last edited by aussiejames on Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2014 6:41 am

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 10665781_385276978297019_4274560729245329225_n
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2014 7:00 am

@AJ, that remains me I need to talk to you about Toltoys paperwork.

So how's your knowledge?

At the moment I only aware of three Toltoys instructions sheets....

1) Speederbike
2) Imperial Attack Base (Did they photocopy them, the double outer border seems cropped. Legit or fake?)
3) Deathstar Cardboard Playset

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 OmFJ178

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 CjEJg7k

Are there anymore?
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2014 8:42 am

David's picture is a photocopy.  
'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Sdc13231
so that's an aussie micro falcon.  There will be NZ & Aus Deathstar instructions.

Found another micro:
'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Sdc13232
includes the catalogue with "not available' printed over various items.  The Australian micro stuff can be found with an Australian address for "build your army" or no offer at all.
Back to top Go down
Dax
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Dax

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 7:16 am

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've contributed anything to these threads but hopefully the wait will be worth it. Recently I had a very unique opportunity to purchase a large childhood collection which contained 44 figures and cardbacks with bubbles. Some of the bubbles were fully separated, others were still partially sealed but all I had to go on was a single photo of everything bundled together with figures overlapping cards so a lot of detail was difficult to make out. The seller was not great with attention to detail but enough of what he said, and the small hints available in the photo were sufficient for me to make a deal and commit to them.

I'm still working my way through the collection but I wanted to get the key pieces restored to the point I could show them to the community here, so here we go!

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 NZ%20Toltoys%20Cards%2001_zpswnvftqwy

So this is 10 of the first 12 figures with Artoo and Stormtrooper absent. You might be able to see in the photo that many of the bubbles had been taped back in place quite some time ago. The tape has yellowed and become quite dry over time which is very fortunate as I was able to remove it all without damage to the cards or the bubbles. Some of the adhesive is still attached and yellowed but I don't see any way to easily remove it that won't cause more problems down the track. I then used the Top Loader restoration method to both protect the cardbacks and reunify the bubbles with them in a manner that isn't permanent but does improve the displayability of them immensely. Here's a photo of them all restored.

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 NZ%20Toltoys%20Cards%2001%20Protected_zpsylypys2m

Having carefully examined the entire lot of figures there is no evidence to suggest other than these are all the original figures that came with these cards, so this provides us with a unique opportunity to compare COO details with the Toltoys cardback. One theory I've heard in the past is that Vader figures with the COO of "Taiwan" are Toltoys Vaders, so I find it interesting to note that the Vader here has the COO "Made in Taiwan". I'm pretty sure that there was sufficient evidence from other collectors around the world to show that "Taiwan" Vaders were also available in other countries so i believe we can debunk the myth once and for all.

One saber has letters on it, the others do not. Some capes are non-textured which I found curious but they are all genuine. I also found it interesting that these figures have all been stored together for a long time and obviously have shared the same environment, but while the Made in Taiwan Leia, Luke, Chewie and Vader have all yellowed slightly, the others are clear.

Here's the second set of gems from the collection.

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 NZ%20Toltoys%20Cards%2002_zpsqavnv9c0

... and finally restored.

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 NZ%20Toltoys%20Cards%2002%20Protected_zpsvwu6j3ku

These are all NZ style figures with the top four being 21 backs and the bottom six being 32 backs. This group has reconfirmed for me just how fragile these NZ bubbles are with all of them having some type of damage to them. The Snaggletooth is far and away the worst and I wasn't able to remove the tape from the bubble of this figure because it's the only thing holding the fractured bubble pieces together. The Top Loader technique really works well here though as many of the bubbles have warping or lifting to them and this approach definitely helps them realign well.

I think this is also the first confirmation we've had of the Lando and possibly the Han Hoth as NZ 32 backs.

To date now this means that of the ESB characters released on the 32 back card, only Bossk has not been identified yet with the NZ cardback and bubble but I think it's quite probable this was produced as well. Interestingly Fett is the only SW character also identified as a NZ 32back figure. As these NZ square bubbles have also appeared to be exclusive on 32 backs, it would seem unlikely that we would see a Leia Bespin or Luke Bespin with the early alternate photos.

I feel very fortunate to have been able to add all of these items to my collection, and particularly to be able to keep them together as a collection after all this time.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 8:02 am

Congrats! What a haul and great you can use this find to further research for Toltoys. Interesting about the textureless capes and the degredation of the Made In Taiwan figures. Looking at the pics you seemed lucky and got most of the weapons too.
Back to top Go down
Drakon
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Drakon

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 10:58 am

One of the better threads I have seen in a while. Toltoys is really growing on me. Thanks guys for sharing.
Back to top Go down
jared007
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
jared007

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 12:40 pm

Fantastic to see those MOC items, they look amazing even in their current form.

I have recently got back from a 2 week visit to Australia and was finally able to go through my collection there. I have learnt so much from this site in the last 2 years so was very keen to see what I had (that I didn't pay attention to before).

This is my poor mans version of the above. Not all are toltoys, but very happy to have some in there. These cardbacks came with a bunch of figures I got from my mums workmate back in 1998. He kept all the packaging along with the figures that were in great condition too. For a long time I almost threw all this away as I considered it "junk worthless packaging" and only really even had a connection with "Kenner" items.

Dax, looks like I have your absent Artoo and Stormtrooper cards  Smile

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Img_0111

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Img_0112

And then lastly, I got this cardboard death star playset very cheap for $20 back in 1998/9. As a bonus, it too is a toltoys edition and fully complete.

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Img_0113
Back to top Go down
Commander Clint
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Commander Clint

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 3:47 pm

Dax and Jared007, both of you have some great stuff there. cheers Well done. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Starwizz
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Starwizz

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 4:00 pm

[q Here's a photo of them all restored.

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 NZ%20Toltoys%20Cards%2001%20Protected_zpsylypys2m

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 NZ%20Toltoys%20Cards%2002%20Protected_zpsvwu6j3ku

[/quote]

Congrats on the find Dax and restoring them back to this whooow factor seeing them to getter.
thx for sharing.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2015 11:01 pm

Dax & Jared Shocked

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 2Q==

edit. How did you get the big 32 backs in toploaders?
Back to top Go down
joff_g
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 5:44 am

did i just die and go to toltoys heaven? dax, that is AWESOME! congratulations.
Back to top Go down
joff_g
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 5:46 am

jared007, beautiful cardbacks you have there Wink
Back to top Go down
Dax
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Dax

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 7:09 am

Thanks for all the positive responses everyone.

Regarding the figures, they are all complete with accessories with the only problem being the Leia and Ben have torn capes, otherwise the figures are in essentially mint, unplayed with condition. They are good enough for me to have them in my loose collection.

James: I had no problem getting the 32 backs into a Top Loader. While they are slightly larger than a regular cardback, the Top Loader's are not that snug a fit that there's a problem with space. I highly recommend them for protection, but they do make photography a real pain due to how glossy and reflective they are.

joff_g, I owe you an email mate which I'll try to get to you tomorrow afternoon Smile

Many thanks to Jared, who by sharing his photos was able to confirm for me the existence of the Toltoys 20 back Chewbacca, which means that all 16 Toltoys figures were available on the 20 back card. Now, if only I can find them!
Back to top Go down
joff_g
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2015 6:02 am

Thanks Dax, I look forward to hearing from you Wink Speak soon, Jonathan.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2015 3:20 am

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 11128372_1586784901589880_1955436725725808024_n

Kenner Chewbacca 12C with metric sticker
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2015 2:35 am

Tank1252 wrote:
Nice AJ. Now go find me a Toltoys Coin Offer sticker pronto!

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Sdc13515

tongue
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2015 10:56 pm

And icecream Ackbar offer Shocked

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Ackbar10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 'TOLTOYS'   'TOLTOYS' - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'TOLTOYS'

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next