The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference Empty
PostSubject: Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference   Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Loose Luke 12 Inch reference guide.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference Lukeok2

My Luke has Ben's saber right now but i am expecting another one to come in with proper saber so i will update later.

edit: I have received the new Luke with a blue lightsaber!

Detailed analysis:

Nota: The red squares indicates mold or mould artifacts to look for when trying to see if your weapon is fake or not. This does not constitute an absolute reference to spot fakes but should help.

Luke has a hard torso of plastic with a COO stamp at the bottom of his back

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0760

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference Lukeback2

His head also has a COO or rather copyright stamp at the bottom of his hairdo.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0767

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0775

His arm are made of a hard flexible rubber material and they fall back in position. There is no joint system in his arms.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0758

His head is attached using a system like this. I have used a beat up Luke to demonstrate:

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0858

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0856

His legs are of the same material as his arms but somewhat harder and there is a skeletal system in the legs that allows the knees to be bent and stay bent. You can see artifact of the knee joint system.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0772

Clothing:

Luke has white boots that are made of rubbery material. The boot is pretty well made, about a couple of milimeters thick of semi hard rubber so if the rubber is still flexible and if you take care you "can" remove the boots. Under the sole, there is a stamp that says made in Hong Kong. The boot seem to be neutral has the is no left or right foot and the boots are the same mold so again the boots are neutral ( not left or right foot ). These boots are extremely hard to take off and put back on. I really struggled to get this done without breaking the legs of the toy. I am sure that there is a trick to put them on but without that knowledge they don't come out or go back on easy. The boots were dirty and showed signs of yellowing ( sort of ) when i got this Luke. I used Oxi clean, the same as on the shirt and i can say that the end result of the clean up is nothing short of miraculous. The grime was removed and the yellowing was practically gone. I will repeat this, i do not know the long term effect of oxi clean on the toy. It may or may not have an adverse effect on the material in the long run but right now it did more than an awesome job at restoring the figure.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0672

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0677

He has light golden pants. They are golden, There was too much light in the pics so the pants look white but they are not.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0735

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0740

A Martial art like tunic , inside the tunic there is a small label that says made in Hong Kong , the lettering is red in color.
Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0751

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0744

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0752

When I got this Luke the tunic was all stained with yellow color. It barely shows on the pic below but it was quite bad. I tried to clean it with regular detergent but it was not working out. I did some research and landed on Oxi Clean and I decided to try this. I mixed the solution and put the boots and shirt in. In a matter of minutes all the nasty yellow stains on the shirt were gone. Smile The only side effect is that it discolored the Hong Kong lettering inside his tunic but who cares right? nobody see this. The shirt is has white as when it came out of the factory so the stuff works. It bleached the boots also and they came out nicely. I cannot tell you the long term effects of what I did but at this time it helped.

Before oxi clean clean up

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0656

After oxi clean clean up

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference Lukeok2

He has a flexible hard rubber utility belt that assembles together under the buckle. There is a set of number inside the belt, the lettering is pretty sharp so if you think you got a reproduction belt maybe this could help identify it. The numbers are 31600557 and under that line is a single 1. There is silvery paint on the buckle of the belt as well as the buttons and some other parts on the belt, that paint seem to be the same silver as Snaggletooth blue and unfortunately it seems to rub off the same way. My belt is missing a lot of the silver on the belt and i would say that this is a common problem on this Luke in his loose form. I have another upcoming Luke that has a better belt and i will update the pictures when i get the new belt.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0790

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0793

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0783

Better looking belt: You can see that the button should be painted silver on the belt.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0849

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0851

He has a grappling hook that has yarn spun around it or loose. The top of the grappling hook spins on the shaft of the grappling hook.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0686

Lightsaber

I got the blue version of the lightsaber which should be Luke's lightsaber, But i am somewhat disapointed because the saber is pretty beat up and paint has rubbed off. I looked at it and it does not seem to have the same mold artifacts as the Ben lightsaber ( see Ben's saber below) which has me worried that this might be a repro but it could just be a factory difference and the saber might be genuine.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0839

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0843

( I have the Ben version with this purchase but I would assume that Luke would be the same , just a different blade colored version)

Although seemingly divided into 3 parts , the lightsaber is one piece of plastic painted in 3 separate sections.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0732

The lightsaber is divided in three parts.

The pommel is black. There is a round mold artifacts on the pommel in the back where there is a hook to hang on the belt. It looks like an indented spot. Not a real round mold artifact like in the other parts of the ligthsaber.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0704

On the other side you will see another mold artifact.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0689

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0692

Then there is the emitter part which is silver painted, the is also a round mold artifact at the start of the silvery part where the pommel and the emitter join.

The silver part seems to be of the same quality and finish as the silver on the belt and similar to the silver used on the blue snaggletooth. Therefore it seems to rub off easily. Looking at the photos on the guide, i am inclined to say that the real sabers have a more matte silver finish ( dull silver ) and that the repro sabers have a shinier silver color applied to them which would help spot fakes when you are able to purchase on site.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0709

Under or the top of the emitter ( so to speak ) are little details, you will see 6 tiny bumps that had detail to the lightsaber. These are very well defined.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0692

On top of that detail is another raised detail that looks like a bump ( knob, button )

The blade part is either glow stick yellow/ greenish for Ben or blue for Luke.
Almost of the end of the blade you will also see a circle mold artifact.

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference IMG_0719

Weight of the toy parts:

My scale is not top notch but i thought i would include these measurements so that people know about them. Since my scale is not top notch, these may not be accurate figures but at least it is a start. Smile

Luke naked: 246 grams
Lightsaber: 4 grams
Belt: 6 grams
Boots ( individual ): 9 grams
Pants: 6 grams
Shirt: 7 grams
Grappling hook: does not register on my scale

Lengths
Lightsaber length: 120 mm
belt length: 165 mm
boot height : 64 mm from top part to bottom rear of sole

Comments: I have seen some Ben on auction sites and i came to see that he has the same boots as Luke but brown colored instead. Which leads me to say that Ben would be the exact same sculpt ( toy- body ) as Luke but with a different head and accessories. It would make perfect sense for Kenner to have done this at that time to save some money on production. When i get a Ben i will post my findings on this assumption.

Paint rub off on hand:

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference Lukehand

Both luke i got had black hands, I suspect that the rubbery material that makes the arms rubs off after the pommel of the lightsaber and rubs off the paint off the pommel, If you put the saber on and off out of Luke's hands or Ben it rubs off the paint on the saber. Which is sad because it makes getting a proper saber harder to find. The paint can be removed from the hands fortunately but is lost of the saber.

Last edited by budspencer on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:28 pm; edited 30 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference   Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 3:41 pm

Top notch contribution, Bud!

Your post could be the start of a reference thread covering the complete 12 inch line. I don't know whether that has been done before.

BTW: From the pics it seems that Luke lost more than only his hand during his life time..... Cool

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference   Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 5:37 pm

yes that was the goal of this.

I might do my R2-D2 later.

People can use this in any manner they want ( on their own website or blog ) I am ok with this, as long as they don't hotlink the pictures so that my bandwidth is not affected and the pics disappear or use the pics to do false display for sale or use them as generic display for sale purposes and at least credit me for this work.

cheers!

Last edited by budspencer on Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
budspencer
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
budspencer

PostSubject: Re: Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference   Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2012 5:39 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:
Top notch contribution, Bud!

Your post could be the start of a reference thread covering the complete 12 inch line. I don't know whether that has been done before.

BTW: From the pics it seems that Luke lost more than only his hand during his life time..... Cool

Yes 2-1B and FX-7 did not do the best at hiding the seam of the head it "seems".

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference   Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Luke Skywalker Vintage Kenner 12 inch detailed analysis for reference

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1