The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  Empty
PostSubject: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2012 10:04 am

1...... anyone have the No Coo version of Leia Organa? This is the one with a poor sonic weld and the Coo very similar to the Glasslite. If you can check the cape and compare to this one please:

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  Leia_k11

threads here about the no coo Leia:

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3264-is-this-a-glasslite-leia

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t2077-glasslite-leia?highlight=glasslite

2.... Anyone have the Taiwan version Leia Organa with vinyl cape?

The one I have is smaller than the No Coo version:

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  Laie_t10

comparison pic of the two:

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  Leia_t11

thanks for any info!
Back to top Go down
RetroRewindToys
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
RetroRewindToys

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 11:09 am

Here are some pics of my Leia cape from the No COO (similar to Glasslite)

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  001-5_zpsa8009e91

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  002-4_zpsaee682be

I think it fits your description with the glossy outside with cross-hatch pattern.

I will try & get some pics up of the Taiwan cape really soon. Hope this helps!

Pat
Back to top Go down
http://www.retrorewindtoys.com
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 3:38 pm

Brilliant, thanks Pat for adding those pics, looks spot on! It's good to get some more confirmation on these capes Cool
Back to top Go down
LORD HENDRICUS
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2015 5:14 pm

The last reply here is from almost two years ago, but I hope someone can help me with my Leia Taiwan cape issue.

I have two potential Leia Taiwan capes. Both have no zipping sound on either side, but for the rest they are different from each other.  

TW cape #1: height 8,7 CM, width 5,5 CM, thin material, one side is matte, the other side has a horizontal lined ridged patern.
TW cape #2: height 8,4 CM, width 5,7 CM, very thin material (thinner than cape #1), both sides are the same and satin/glossy, but NO horizontal lines.

What i found very interesting is that both my taiwan capes have piece missing from one corner as in the picture in the TIG guide. The piece missing is not exactly the same as in the guide though. Also the piece missing is not exactly the same in my two capes.

What I would like to know is are there more versions of the Taiwan capes? Or if there is only one, which one is it. If I had to choose I have more faith in my TW cape #2.

As for the dimensions. What makes it tricky is that if people have cleaned cape with boiling water it is possible that the cape has shrunk and therefore the dimensions will be different.

Last edited by LORD HENDRICUS on Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2015 8:00 pm

I don't know all the answers to your questions, but I can tell you the capes have small variants in size regardless of origin. From what I have been told the capes where cut in multiple sheets stacked on each other. I will try to illustrate a bit using my keyboard what I mean.

----------
---------- These three lines represent a stack of vinyl sheets
----------

Now showing those three lines again with the blade coming down
----\|/----
-----|-----
-----|-----

The top layers would be slightly larger due to the vinyl having some give as the blade pushed down thus the slanted lines I show being the vinyl stretching around the straight up and down blade. Same concept as trying to slice a loaf of bread. At first the top pushes down until the blade penetrates the top layer or outer crust then it begins cutting the rest easier. This cutting method that was used created small differences in sizes.m that's the way I understand them being cut anyway. If someone has heard different let me know.
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 8:03 am

Lord Hendricus, thanks for posting. It's good to get some more info on these Taiwan capes. I agree not much is known other than a general consensus that the Taiwans are a different material to Kenners and are sometimes shorter or thinner. Btw the photos at the top post are the same as on the Gunnery.

Out of interest I measured mine and it's 8.7 top to bottom and 5.3 across - I think you make a good point that some capes might shrink with the hot water cleaning method, and Bryan also makes a good point about differences in size due to the possible cutting process.

I worked in a print shop and you could see slight discrepencies in card/paper size when cut in stacked layers on a guillotine - especially when the blade had been used multiple times and became dull.

What's interesting is that you have two capes both with a corner cut off thinking  Now I always just assumed mine with the cut corner was due to the original kid owner cutting it or the cape taking damage over the years, but maybe there was a small batch that came out this way and ended up being missed or even passed by QC? If you can put up some photos or PM me with pics I would be interested in seeing these.

As for your two Taiwan capes and their differences - hopefully other Taiwan cape owners can add info. It could be due to the factory running out of cape material and making a new run with the closest material they could find? Who knows really... there is still a lot to be discovered about factory production methods leaving us to continue speculating. But with more collectors like yourself adding to the pool of info we should at least get a little closer.
Back to top Go down
LORD HENDRICUS
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 4:36 pm

It took me a while to figure out how to post the pics, but I think I know how to do it now. First of all I attach a pic of my two potential Leia Taiwan capes:

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  Twcape10

Then a pic of the taiwan cape #1 corner cut off:

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  Twcape11

And a pic of the taiwan cape #2 corner cut off:

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  Twcape12

You can see that the corner cut offs are not the same. In cape #1 it is deeper than on cape #2. On cape #2 you can hardly notice it.

Also the form of the two capes is not exactly the same.

Artoo_Detour did your cape have the horizontal lined ridged patern on one side or not. Or is it the same on both sides? And is it satin or matte?

By the way Artoo_detour did you measure the 5.3 cm width at the bottom or in the middle of the cape. I measured both my capes at the bottom (maybe it is better to measure it in the middle because of the corner cut off). There would also be a difference because at the the bottom the cape is a bit wider than in the middle.

Last edited by LORD HENDRICUS on Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
trappedtexan
trappedtexan

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 4:55 pm

Cape 1 has a really jagged edge and is not a clean cut so I would say that is damage from some point in the items history. The second one looks much cleaner or sharper of a cut. There are vader capes that have what has been referred to as a "step" in them so this may be the same type of thing as those. They are usually associated with PBP vaders I believe so that would put the vaders production in spain, but possible other cutting machines received the same wear or were made the same way? Like you said though I would imagine they had more than one cutting machine for capes. Makes sense that they would since they had at least mold pairs for the figures so two molds making figures would mean they would need two capes at the same pressing also? Since the capes were cut in sheets it is possible that they didn't need two machines but who knows.

I am far from an expert on the minute details and my main focus is on ledy so I spend more time researching out Mexican made items than any other line.
Back to top Go down
LORD HENDRICUS
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2015 5:07 pm

Last edited by LORD HENDRICUS on Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2016 10:24 am

LORD HENDRICUS wrote:

Artoo_Detour did your cape have the horizontal lined ridged patern on one side or not. Or is it the same on both sides? And is it satin or matte?

The one side has a very faint horizontal ridged pattern not as defined as the Ben cape on the Gnnery. Both sides are matte.

LORD HENDRICUS wrote:

By the way Artoo_detour did you measure the 5.3 cm width at the bottom or in the middle of the cape. I measured both my capes at the bottom (maybe it is better to measure it in the middle because of the corner cut off). There would also be a difference because at the the bottom the cape is a bit wider than in the middle.

I measured it at its widest point just above the cut corner. Then lengthways from the top middle down.

Thanks for adding your pics. Hopefully other members will chime in with info as well.
Back to top Go down
jackaroni
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Hoping mine is taiwan as well   Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 9:16 pm

Hopefully, my picture shows up!

Anyway, I recently purchased a very nice figure with authentic v3 blue semi trans. weapon, I believe I have a Taiwan cape as well, please advise after reviewing the following:

Is it uncommon to purchase a Hong Kong figure with a Taiwan cape these days with all the reselling?

Is it uncommon for a Taiwan cape to not "zip"?

Characteristics:

Texture - smooth on both sides - 1 side glossier than the other similar texture both sides, "no zip", maybe slight vertical striations on less glossy side its hard to tell with the white cape.

My texture looks nothing like the "orange peel" mess that repro pic on TIG looks like.  The texture under magnification is very similar to the texture of my Obi and Vader cap I just can't tell if they are linear or not.

The distance from the arm hole to the top seem to match the pic's for a Taiwan cape on the TIG cape reference page.

Dimensions:  top to bottom = 8.5 cm / bottom width tip to tip = 5.9 cm / just under arm hole width = 5 cm / top of arm hole to top of cape 1.7 cm

** One thing that jumps out at me is at the bottom of the cape 1 corner seems to be concave and 1 corner appears to be convex very similar to the pics on TIG.  However, the "repro" pic on TIG definitely has 2 concave corners.

PIC #1 - BOTTOM CONVEX / CONCAVE CORNERS - NONGLOSSY SIDE
PIC #2 - ARM HOLE TO TOP DISTANCE - NONGLOSSY
PIC #3 - ARM HOLE TO TOP DISTANCE - GLOSSY SIDE
Attachments
IMG_1261.JPG
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(207 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
IMG_1262.JPG
(193 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
IMG_1263.JPG
(153 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 7:36 am

Thanks for adding your pics and info Jacaroni. To answer:

"Is it uncommon to purchase a Hong Kong figure with a Taiwan cape these days with all the reselling?"

Imo yes but I still think it's possible that a Taiwan cape can end up on Kenner figure and vice versa due to loose capes and figures being matched up by buyers and sellers over the years. Can't discount factories changing material stock between runs either.

"Is it uncommon for a Taiwan cape to not "zip"?"

Based on what is known and agreed in the community the capes don't zip. Mine has a very faint ridged horizontal pattern on one side - hardly noticable - and I can't get it to zip.

Back to top Go down
LORD HENDRICUS
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Last edited by LORD HENDRICUS on Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:24 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
jackaroni
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 10:24 pm

Thanks for the information!

I cannot find any horizontal striations on either side, so even though the textures under magnification seem very similar I guess I will have to consider it a fake Sad

I do have a reproduction cape coming in the mail, I will update this post if I see any similarities or differences.

Finally, for future reference could someone tell me if all Hong Kong Leia capes "zip"?

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
LORD HENDRICUS
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 12:46 pm

@jackaroni

I would NOT conclude it as a fake yet.  

As for the zipping sound. I have had 3 HK capes and they all made zipping sound.

Last edited by LORD HENDRICUS on Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 2:45 pm

@jackaroni

LORD HENDRICUS wrote:
@jackaroni

I would NOT conclude it as a fake yet.

Agree. Hang on to it until more research is made.

LORD HENDRICUS wrote:
@jackaroni

As for the zipping sound. I have had 3 HK capes and they all made zipping sound.

I have one HK cape and can confirm it makes the zipping sound.
Back to top Go down
LORD HENDRICUS
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 3:16 pm

Last edited by LORD HENDRICUS on Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:16 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 3:44 pm

I'd already posted my TW Leia elsewhere on the site so can copy it here direct for you to see,

from http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4176-the-tig-fotw-thread-princess-leia

Artoo_Detour wrote:

Taiwan Leia

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  Loose_12

Back to top Go down
LORD HENDRICUS
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2016 4:25 pm

Last edited by LORD HENDRICUS on Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 8:24 am

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  GxxufYC

Quickly went through my Leia's, let me know if you need anymore pics?...

Group shot, 1 to 4 on the top row, left to right. 5 to 7 on the bottom row left to right.

Don't ask why some pics are rotated by 90 degrees, my image hoster is playing the silly bugger!!

The only two capes I have which make zipping noises are the MADE IN HONG KONG and MADE IN TAIWAN, all the other including the POCH are smooth.

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  RSbdcIf

1. Family VI-1 - Hong Kong (Kenner)

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  40qSdLQ
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  7loAAlX
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  X4UenAu
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  C16uHK6

2. Family III-2 - No COO (Glasslite)

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  DtfsFcf
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  Dr6GPrl
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  OAZvaHd
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  WqRZWBQ

3. Family I-1 - Hong Kong (Kenner)

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  EK7DBsn
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  V3anLPl
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  CaoI6h4
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  HykMuQt

4. Family V -Made In Taiwan (Kenner)

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  G0ZE1F6
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  16jhq4I
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  EdFOfsN
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  KHTMp5x

Last edited by walkie on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
walkie
Senior Developer
Senior Developer
walkie

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 8:53 am

5. Family IV-2 - No COO (Kenner)

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  UdTKO4B
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  HdORwMt
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  Ph30f0g
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  1DTLEOX

6. Family II - Made In Hong Kong (Kenner)

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  PormziT
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  CEVedkJ
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  5j3UdhQ
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  GHhfl6c

7. Family II - Made In Hong Kong (POCH)

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  3Zuj1nS
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  YrsZotm
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  AQ6ihXw
Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  ZGvcfi6
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 10:18 am

My only comment is that over the years I've sold dozens of capes. Really the MOCs are the only way to look for consistency
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
LORD HENDRICUS
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 4:10 pm

Last edited by LORD HENDRICUS on Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
jackaroni
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2016 11:05 pm

Walkie, thanks a ton for posting these "pics"! When I compare them to my cape, feel free to reference the pics I posted earlier in this thread, I noticed the following:

I definitely have the "family" or "type II" - 1A with the . above the "K" in Kong.

The total length (8.5mm) and width of cape at bottom (5.9mm) almost exactly match the distances shown in your pic by the ruler.

Likewise, when I extrapolate your ruler in the pic to a piece of paper - old school paper map distance method, the measurements match my cape almost exactly at: 1. The width just below the armhole (5mm) and 2. The length from the top of the armholes to the top of the cape (1.7mm) and 3. the armhole diameter (5.5mm) depending on stretch.

Also, the tip corners match with one a little convex and one a little concave. Most repro's that I have seen in my limited observations have both tips flaring out on each side.

The cape in general has (1) glossy side and (1) satin side. The weight does seem slightly thinner than my authentic vader and ben cape but not by much. The feel seems correct.

The texture under magnification matches the smooth side of my vader and ben cape just without the linear striations either vertically or horizontally, although I am not convinced this is not a function of my 43 + year old eyes on a white cape.

Likewise, neither side has the fine cross-hatch pattern both vader and ben have; thus, no "zip".

However, I really think this thing might be authentic and I am leaning towards a HONG KONG cape now since both sides aren't satin and I have no horizontal lines, maybe Hong Kong forgot to stimple one side on this roll of material with the cross hatch pattern - wishful thinking anyway.

Thank you all for this thread it has been most informative!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo    Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Main Site help needed: Leia Organa Vinyl Capes - Taiwan & No coo

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1