The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Baggie Help?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

Baggie Help? Empty
PostSubject: Baggie Help?   Baggie Help? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi Guys,

Got a few baggies in the post today. They're not something I've really dealt with previously and I know almost nothing about them, so I'm really hoping someone can help me?

These are the first five and they are all sealed (although the Ackbar has a hole in the front, big enough to get the weapon in an and out, but not quite big enough to get the figure through.)

The figures all look pretty mint (except Luke who has a discoloured torso.)

Firstly, can somone confirm that these are all legit? Do the bags, tape etc (where apt.) look correct?

Also, I have a bunch of long sleeve type baggies (just read 'Made In Hong Kong') that were presumably originally folded over and taped (?). Do these sound legit? (Also, does an unsealed bag have add any value at all to a loose figure?)

Thanks in advance and best wishes,

Jeremy

Baggie Help? Acwoch
Baggie Help? 2ntzlmo

Baggie Help? Dm8dg6
Baggie Help? 1042alu

Baggie Help? 35a8avp
Baggie Help? 10qb4na

Baggie Help? 23uy4ab
Baggie Help? 11u9v9h

Baggie Help? 34f0acg
Baggie Help? 2hyw1ft
Back to top Go down
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

Baggie Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baggie Help?   Baggie Help? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any idea on these at all? I literally know nothing about baggies, so any info at all would be very welcome. Even just a confirmation that they're legit?

Is there a good resource for finding info on baggies. I tried a search on here and RS, but found a few sale threads and some more advanced discussion that didn't pertain to the baggies that I have.

Best Wishes,

-J
Back to top Go down
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

Baggie Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baggie Help?   Baggie Help? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 12:19 pm

Just tried google and found this link to the swca. Doing some reading now. Very Happy

http://theswca.com/images-speci/baggiefeature/baggiefeature.html
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

Baggie Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baggie Help?   Baggie Help? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 12:43 pm

Discobob83 wrote:
Just tried google and found this link to the swca. Doing some reading now. Very Happy

I'm not sure how much that will help. These all look like foreign baggies to me with the lack of Kenner text on them. Del or Frank could probably help you with them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

Baggie Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baggie Help?   Baggie Help? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 12:47 pm

OK, so I've just read the article (Which is awesome! Kudos to Todd and Bill!) It has left me with some more questions.

-The five baggies above appear to be 'SW-a' and 'ROTJ-a', but there is some slight differences in the font size and/or colour (to my eyes at least) did such variations exist, am I seeing things, or does this mean that something is dodgy?

-Presumably, as figures were re-released with each wave of merchandising, many of them will exist with various different baggies? From a collector's point of view is this a factor? i.e. are certain pairings of figure and baggie more collectable? (based on rarity etc?)

-The figures are categorised by rarity in the article. This presumably is based on the U.S. market? I ask because it lists the blond haired and brown haired Luke Bespin (both pictured in the article) as Cat II and Cat III, but mine is the Palitoy one and different to those pictured (and presumably has a differeing rarity accordingly?

-J
Back to top Go down
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

Baggie Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baggie Help?   Baggie Help? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 12:55 pm

shawn_k wrote:
Discobob83 wrote:

I'm not sure how much that will help. These all look like foreign baggies to me with the lack of Kenner text on them. Del or Frank could probably help you with them.

Hi Shawn,

Ha Ha!! You answered my new questions slightly before I asked them. (You probably have your blast shield down right now as well.)

So is this is a fairly narrow area of interest and that a lot of people don't have the expertise to help? (I'm never sure if I'm asking something difficult or something patently obvious lol.)

They're very cool. Esp. the Tusken Raider, he looks amazing. I've seen graded baggies, and I guess some of the U graded loose figures come from baggies? (Or is that something that just isn't done?)

It's ironic that the baggies exist to seal and protect the figures, but a few decades later, it's as much about protecting the baggies themselves (and in turn protecting the figures.)

I guess I'll have to hope that one of the foreign baggie experts takes pity on me and offers a little guidance.

In the meantime, I'll see if I can find any more info.

Thanks again! Very Happy

-J
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

Baggie Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baggie Help?   Baggie Help? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 1:46 pm

lol!

Yes, the Kenner baggies are the better documented ones with more examples around and the great guide on theswca. Del was the one who had the largest collection of Palitoy(foreign) baggies that I knew of. He's not around much anymore though.

It's a shame, but yes baggies have been used for the U grade. Even fewer examples exist of baggies than MOCs, so it's certainly a shame.

I hope you can find the info you're seeking and it'd certainly be great to see your findings here.

Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

Baggie Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baggie Help?   Baggie Help? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 11:01 am

Hi All,

Ok, I've had a little feedback from Frank ('Frunkstar) over at SWFUK. He says that they are mostly Palitoy baggies and are harder to obtain than their Kenner counterparts.

As for valuations, he estimated in the following ranges (He did stress that they were difficult to put a value on and was hesitant to try, but I asked him to have a go):

Luke Bespin - £25 - £35 (would have been £40 - £50 without the discolouration.)

Lobot - £20 - £30

Weequay - £15 - £20

Ackbar - £20 -£30 (If bag didn't have hole)

He wasn't sure about the Tusken with the Blue/Green text. I have taken a photo of some more figures that came in the same lot (below). The Wicket has the same font as the Tusken. Anyone know what the origin of these baggies is? (Any info at all?) The ANH Han btw, has a bag that has no markings on it at all. Is this actually a 'baggie' or just a random bag that he was stored in by someone? (I'd obviously assume the latter, apart from the fact that he came as part of this lot?)

The other baggies are opened and Frank says are mostly what he calls 'Palitoy overstock' baggies. He hasn't estimated a value for these as they are opened, but does anyone have any idea? Do opened baggies add to the value of a loose figure? The figures themselves are obviously in extremely nice condition, so have some value as loose figures.

I'd like to sell all of these figures, but would like to know as much as possible about them first.

Anyone have any thoughts? Smile

-J

Baggie Help? W0gpc

Baggie Help? Axie1

Baggie Help? 2w224qc
Baggie Help? 29cm2q8
Baggie Help? 2hx6hox
Baggie Help? M81rlt

Back to top Go down
tundra9
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
tundra9

Baggie Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baggie Help?   Baggie Help? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 11:45 am

I've just started collecting baggies, and Frank is my main to go to man.

It's a deep hole to focus on, but fun to learn about the different baggies.
I'm doing research for the Popy line and they are all Kenner baggies, and with my stormie focus,
the only ones I've come across so far are Kenner issues.
Haven't even tried to get my head around the Palitoy baggies, not sure I want to either! Razz

Good luck on your research and keep your head above water! lol!
Back to top Go down
Christian
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Christian

Baggie Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baggie Help?   Baggie Help? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 11:48 am

Hi Jeremy,

Nice collection of bagged and loose figures you've picked up. If, as I suspect, you received these from a UK seller then I would say they all originated from the Palitoy surplus stock sell off around 1984-1986. Vast amounts of loose & bagged figures were sold in larger department stores and in particular Palitoy had a tie-in with Woolworths. Woolworths used to sell packs of 8 (mixed bagged and loose figures) for 99p and had piles of them available. The Tusken Raider is an usual piece and not one I'm familiar with but all of the others would most certainly have been available via these Woolies promotions.

Cheers,
Christian
Back to top Go down
http://www.gwacrylic.co.uk
Sponsored content

Baggie Help? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baggie Help?   Baggie Help? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Baggie Help?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1