The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Lando's Vinyl Capes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
iceworm
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

Lando's Vinyl Capes Empty
PostSubject: Lando's Vinyl Capes   Lando's Vinyl Capes I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

I saw a post concerning Lando's vinyl cape and possible variations.

I have two variations of the Lando cape. The color and size of the later cape is different.

Lando took a lot of abuse in my ESB vintage collection. (He betrayed Han.) Sometimes I placed him in a carbonite block--inside the freezer in a cup of water.

My old Lando's paint started to wear out. So, sometime during ROTJ, I picked up a newer Lando. My old Lando is still in pretty good shape, but his arms are a little loose.

The older Lando cape—with a tear—is a little larger than the new cape. (See photos.) The cape is lighter in color--light blue-grey.

The newer cape is smaller and darker in color--dark blue-grey.

Both capes have the cross-hatch pattern. I think this is the best diagnostic to determine if a Lando or any cape is REPRO. (At this time.)

Both Kenner action figures show no teeth. Both figures on the left leg:

© 1980 L.F.L.
HONG KONG

Images Below:

Lando's Vinyl Capes 1Compare

Lando's Vinyl Capes 2CapeCompare

Lando's Vinyl Capes 3OldOnNew

Lando's Vinyl Capes 4NewOnOld

Lando's Vinyl Capes 5CapeNewCross

Lando's Vinyl Capes 6CapeOldCross

I hope that helps.

-----------------------------------
Darth Vreenak
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Lando's Vinyl Capes   Lando's Vinyl Capes I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2012 7:19 am

Very Happy
I can confirm a dark & light cape- both make the 'zip' noise. Mine are also found on the 'Hong Kong' no teeth Landos with the narrow belt buckle without the center vertical line.

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t4267-the-official-fotw-thread-lando-calrissian

Also keep in mind not all capes have the cross hatch ie. some Taiwan figures? Snowtrooper cape with holes not slits?
Back to top Go down
iceworm
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Lando's Vinyl Capes   Lando's Vinyl Capes I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 4:14 am

Good points aussiejames.

I heard about these "non-zip" capes.

My small, original Kenner collection includes all the vinyl capes and ALL have a cross-hatch pattern.

Population wise, is it safe to assume a cross hatch cape is more represented than a non-cross hatch cape?

Does a non-cross hatch cape appear more commonly on certain toy lines:

Palitoy, PBP/Poch, Meccano, Clipper, Parker, Harbert, Brio/Playmix, Takara, Toltoys, Lili Ledy, Glasslight, etc?

The purpose of my questions is not to be a pain in the butt, but allow a collector to be familiar with several benchmarks that can determine REPRO from genuine.

As it stands now, a REPRO cape can pass a float test, have similar sizing and correct arm holes. As I got to thinking, even a cross hatch pattern could be emulated by a REPRO factory. Imagine a million colour correct, size perfect and "zippy" Jawa capes flooding the market. It is all about demand influencing supply.

In 1986, I should have placed all my Star Wars toys in a time capsule!

Darth Vreenak
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Lando's Vinyl Capes   Lando's Vinyl Capes I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 4:43 am

iceworm wrote:

Does a non-cross hatch cape appear more commonly on certain toy lines:

Palitoy, PBP/Poch, Meccano, Clipper, Parker, Harbert, Brio/Playmix, Takara, Toltoys, Lili Ledy, Glasslight, etc?

The capes that came with Lili Ledy figures (Leia Bespin, Lando Bespin, Darth Vader, Ben) all lack a cross-hatch pattern.

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
iceworm
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Lando's Vinyl Capes   Lando's Vinyl Capes I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:09 am

>The capes that came with Lili Ledy figures (Leia Bespin, Lando Bespin, Darth Vader, Ben) all lack a cross-hatch pattern.

Thank you Dr. Dengar. When I was collecting in the late 70s and early 80s, I never encountered Lili Ledy.

Where I live, discovering a Lily Ledy Star Wars figure is NOT impossible.

However, I am not going to pay an arm and a leg for a Lily Ledy caped figure that is difficult (for me) to determine its authenticity.

One further benchmark I use on a Leia (Bespin) vinyl cape is spotty discolouration (fading) on the cape. I'm sure perfect vinyl capes exist, but something that has been loose for 30+ years is going to show some signs of age. In silver coins it is called "toning" and in chairs it is called "patina." My loose Lando capes are far from "factory fresh."

Darth Vreenak
Back to top Go down
plantainman
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
plantainman

PostSubject: lando cape tone vs COO   Lando's Vinyl Capes I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 4:57 am

Hi guys,

Its been pointed out to me that the Lando Bespin HK COO's all come with the darker grey cape, and that the lighter grey cape is only found with the CHINA & PBP COO's, Is that right? Or are there also HK COO's which come with the lighter grey cape?

Thanks in advance, see pic for reference...

Lando's Vinyl Capes 2qicv3r
Back to top Go down
Lee_m
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Lee_m

PostSubject: Re: Lando's Vinyl Capes   Lando's Vinyl Capes I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 5:54 am

Hey Neil

The HK indeed does have a darker cape.

The no coo gouged out scar does have a lighter cape. This is the figure that everyone calls
a pbp but is widely found all over europe (he is as much a pbp figure as a pink face han hoth is for example)
This figure has around a dozen different scarred out coo areas and greyish coloured legs.

The figure i would call the correct pbp one (and can also be found in france like some other pbp figures)
has BLUE legs and some subtle paint apps compared to the above. This guy i have only found with two
or three slightly different scarred out coo areas.

The two are hard to tell apart but when in hand together the differences are very obvious.

I will have comparison shots soon in my liitle meccano variants guide that i am putting together Wink

Incidently, the poch Lando has a different lighter cape also but is poch exclusive imo.

Cheers, Lee

plantainman wrote:
Hi guys,

Its been pointed out to me that the Lando Bespin HK COO's all come with the darker grey cape, and that the lighter grey cape is only found with the CHINA & PBP COO's, Is that right? Or are there also HK COO's which come with the lighter grey cape?

Thanks in advance, see pic for reference...

Lando's Vinyl Capes 2qicv3r
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Lando's Vinyl Capes   Lando's Vinyl Capes I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 5:15 pm

Great thread guys, it was me who said China and PBP come with lighter capes, at least in my collecting. I have a cape that is dark on one side and light on the other, it originally came with a "PBP" lando in a lot, I've never seen another either but it does look and feel original and also has the zippy noise on one side. Any one ever come across one of those or does it need adding to the gunnery?
Back to top Go down
plantainman
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
plantainman

PostSubject: Re: Lando's Vinyl Capes   Lando's Vinyl Capes I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 3:21 am

snaggletooth wrote:
Anyone ever come across one of those or does it need adding to the gunnery?

Gunnery job Scott. You know someone somewhere is scratching their head with the same conundrum Very Happy

Cheers
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Lando's Vinyl Capes   Lando's Vinyl Capes I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 3:37 am

plantainman wrote:
snaggletooth wrote:
Anyone ever come across one of those or does it need adding to the gunnery?

Gunnery job Scott. You know someone somewhere is scratching their head with the same conundrum Very Happy

Cheers

Is what I was thinking, will get some pictures done.
Back to top Go down
Iamcomicdoc
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Lando's Vinyl Capes   Lando's Vinyl Capes I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 1:08 am

Had no idea.... Now I gotta go ck my three or four...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lando's Vinyl Capes   Lando's Vinyl Capes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lando's Vinyl Capes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1