The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

So when do you pack it in and stop collecting?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
hansole
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
hansole

So when do you pack it in and stop collecting? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So when do you pack it in and stop collecting?   So when do you pack it in and stop collecting? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 3:33 pm

- " So when do you pack it in and stop collecting? " -

For my part right about now. I have sellected some items I want to keep and are pressent selling struff from my collection.

Well I think I have it like pink in this flick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdjtqu3XK4U

I just need some other stuff on my minde. Where there isn't so much crap about repro, bad traders, ect. ect ect.........................

Back to top Go down
BobbySharp
Imperial Recruit
Imperial Recruit
BobbySharp

PostSubject: Re: So when do you pack it in and stop collecting?   So when do you pack it in and stop collecting? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Good question. And certainly something that those of us who have been collecting for some years have considered from time to time. Thinking back on 20 years of collecting, I've seen my collection grow with abandon, shrink, grow again, and at one point shrink to almost nothing. I've finally struck a happy medium as my collecting has rather hit cruise mode. I'm very happy with where my collection is at, there are few major pieces that I'm currently slavering for, and I'm pleased and content with what I've managed to assemble. That being said, I no longer spend much time "with my collection" so to speak and with a baby, it's often off my radar for weeks at a time. I like it that way as burnout is less likely.

So, will I ever sell? Not completely but there's always the possibility of a scale-down years down the road. Probably the only thing I would sell for is if I simply grow bored with my collection. Even so, I'd keep a few things: my loose figure set, childhood toys, and things I received as gifts.
Back to top Go down
TishomingoSith
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
TishomingoSith

PostSubject: Re: So when do you pack it in and stop collecting?   So when do you pack it in and stop collecting? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 8:26 pm

Probably when it's food vs collecting Smile

I'm 37 and started back up full-force two years ago with my two little girls fell in love with the movies. I've handed down my collection from when I was a kid, so they will have a massive collection. They both said they will never sell them and give them to their kids someday. Nothing would make me happier to see my grandchildren collecting and enjoying toys I had in 1977.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nfaaf.net
Scotty Speed
New User
New User

PostSubject: Re: So when do you pack it in and stop collecting?   So when do you pack it in and stop collecting? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 6:21 pm

I started collecting in 1978 when figures were $1.99. I also planned my Christmas list around the SEARS Wishbook. Had every single SEARS exclusive: Cantina Adventure Set, Cloud City Playset, Rebel Command Center, you know the rest. Sold my collection in 1993 to afford doing some volunteer work for the church. A lot happened since then, got married, after 15 years got divorced. Never had kids though. Now I find myself having a significant amount of disposable income and have been getting back into collecting in a big way. I guess when it's really in your blood you're in it for the long hall. I can definately picture myself at 90 still looking for a MOC Uzay Bluestars Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DarthTad
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
DarthTad

PostSubject: Re: So when do you pack it in and stop collecting?   So when do you pack it in and stop collecting? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 11:25 pm

Like Paul said, I won't ever stop collecting. I do feel that is somewhat of a disease. I can't imagine not having anything that I want to track down, or feeling excited when I find something to add. And I've put my collections in my will and trust for my kids, so I'm definitely never giving up.

Having said that, there are always times when interest wanes, or other aspects of life take precedent, but I won't ever voluntarily sell my collection just to quit collecting. Obviously, if something came up and my family needed it, I would stop and sell it. But it would also be a last resort.

Collecting is just something I'm too involved with. I can't imagine chatting, or posting on and reading forums, or trading with other collectors, all being removed from my life. I enjoy it all too much.

Even chatting with you bastards. lol!
Back to top Go down
sithtoys
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
sithtoys

PostSubject: Re: So when do you pack it in and stop collecting?   So when do you pack it in and stop collecting? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 9:12 am

The day I wake up and it's no longer fun. That is really the best answer I can give, because the #1 question I get from
other SW collectors is "how do you keep going/stay focused after all these years just collecting one thing ?" You would
think it would get old after 20 years of just looking for Darth Vader items, but it hasn't. I still have fun, and I'm probably
more passionate about it today than when I started. (or I'm completely insane ... one of the two, take your pick Wink )

Bill
Back to top Go down
robbiezombbie
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
robbiezombbie

PostSubject: Re: So when do you pack it in and stop collecting?   So when do you pack it in and stop collecting? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 11:37 am

Like a few others on here, this is my 3rd or 4th time in and out of collecting. My collection by far right now is the biggest it’s ever been and I attribute that to a good job and extra money from it. While I don’t see myself ever stopping, I do slow down at times and at the present moment I don’t buy as much as I use to but I’ll never pass up a good deal either.

Although I have most of my collection on display my focus and desire on things have changed recently. Building and selling my Nightmare on Elm St gloves has really taken off as a side business and I get a lot of enjoyment on working on, and building those. So for the time being my passion is really into the workshop and building and selling gloves. But...collecting vintage Star Wars is in my blood, and although it gets watered down from time to time, it will never go away.
Back to top Go down
http://terrorgloves.com
Joseph_Y
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Joseph_Y

PostSubject: Re: So when do you pack it in and stop collecting?   So when do you pack it in and stop collecting? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 11:57 am

I'll agree with Bill's reply of When it's no longer fun. Also when there are NO new discoveries left to make, no new information out there for me to absorb. Luckily collecting bootlegs, there are ALWAYS new discoveries, new information, and more stuff for me to hunt down. Keeps it fresh and fun.

...and keeps me broke dalek
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=697897283
sith jawa
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
sith jawa

PostSubject: Re: So when do you pack it in and stop collecting?   So when do you pack it in and stop collecting? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 pm

Similar to Joe and Bill, when my passion truly dies.. I have been close the last two years to selling everything or as some would say "cashing out", but a cool figure comes up for sale and I am back in the game. I have learned that taking a break (long or small) is key to collecting. Staring at your collection is cool, but not every single day. I will always think that my collection is the result of hard work, luck and passion. When one goes, it is time to hit the door..
Back to top Go down
http://madbrownz.blogspot.com
JesseVader08
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
JesseVader08

PostSubject: Re: So when do you pack it in and stop collecting?   So when do you pack it in and stop collecting? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2012 5:03 pm

sithtoys wrote:
The day I wake up and it's no longer fun. That is really the best answer I can give, because the #1 question I get from
other SW collectors is "how do you keep going/stay focused after all these years just collecting one thing ?" You would
think it would get old after 20 years of just looking for Darth Vader items, but it hasn't. I still have fun, and I'm probably
more passionate about it today than when I started. (or I'm completely insane ... one of the two, take your pick Wink )

Bill

That's the beauty of being a Vader focus collector, there's so much to choose from, it hardly feels like "one thing". cheers
Back to top Go down
http://galacticheroes.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So when do you pack it in and stop collecting?   So when do you pack it in and stop collecting? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So when do you pack it in and stop collecting?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2