The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Another AFA disaster???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mike-skywalker
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
mike-skywalker

Another AFA disaster??? Empty
PostSubject: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 9:02 am

Just received a loose Dengar AFA85.
The weapon looks like the painted repro, doesn´t it?
What do you guys think?
Another AFA disaster??? DengarRifle

Here is a comparison shot. On top is an original rifle and in the middle a painted repro.
Another AFA disaster??? DengarRiflescomparison
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 10:38 am

Mike, it does look like a repro, but its really hard to tell unless they are side by side. The repro looks a tad longer than the original on top and the original looks about the same length as the suspect one, but the details do look similar for it to be a repro. Heres some details I see in the repro to suspect one.

Rounded off trigger and stock part
Hand grips more detailed with raised edges
Raised bar on the body when its not there on the original
Thicker barrel compared to original
Muzzle extends farther out compared to original (I looked at the one I got and its short like yours pictured)
No indent in the stock compared to original
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 7:51 pm

I thought it was 'common knowledge' that AFA do not check weapons properly??
Back to top Go down
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Yup. Agree with AJ. They don't worry about weapons.
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Don't care about weapons?? So how are they the authority?? Crazy.
Back to top Go down
Johnny U
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Johnny U

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 9:48 pm

Then why woud I buy a AFA graded figure if the weapons aren't checked?! affraid I'm starting to second guess this whole AFA system...bummer. Has anyone ever thought of taking over where the AFA has been lacking and starting a REAL authentication company to include checking the weapons?! Man I'm really bummed out now Suspect
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 3:32 am

This is seriously a NO GO!!! I mean every collector in here immediatley knows this is a Repro when having it in hands, so why in the world is a grader not able to realize this??

These guys should be able to authentificate a "real" LL Jawa cape or brugundy squid cape, but cannot identify obvious repros???

OMG! Shocked

This stuff gets on the market and Mike bought it as "real" and AFA graded. So IMO the seller of this is not in charge, but AFA is IMO in charge to:
1. Replace this wepaon for free!!!
2. Pay you shipping costs for doing that!!

I seriously would talk to Tom or AFA. Its their "product" and if there is something wrong with it Tom often said that they would handle it and IMO they should do in this case!!
Back to top Go down
soren
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
soren

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:51 am

WTF . What is the hole idea with the AFA then ? If they can't even tell that a gun like that is a repo ?

I can only chime in on what you guys say AJ and Wbobafett .

Post this over at RS , it would be very bad for AFA business if this starts to pick up and people start check all their gradet stuff and find more of this.

Ps. Can only hope that every one that sent in stuff for AFA U grading had their weapons switch with repo weapons lol!
Back to top Go down
kisstour03
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
kisstour03

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 9:47 am

Way too much to hope for here. But maybe this will be the beginning of the end of this whole AFA madness. Rise up and fight the evil acrylic prison masters.

But seriously. Again how can they be considered "The Experts" if they can't be bothered to check weapons? The weapon is part of the figure really. Another reason for me to avoid AFA.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks for sharing, Mirco!!

Another AFA disaster??? Got_A_Bad_feeling
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 11:31 am

kisstour03 wrote:
Way too much to hope for here. But maybe this will be the beginning of the end of this whole AFA madness. Rise up and fight the evil acrylic prison masters.

But seriously. Again how can they be considered "The Experts" if they can't be bothered to check weapons? The weapon is part of the figure really. Another reason for me to avoid AFA.

Yeah think about it...this is a 2 euro weapon...but imagine buying Afa graded Imperial Gunner with repro weapon!!!! Shocked ...Would make me go nuts!! Seriously No
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Its really hard to say about that weapon from this angle the Repro does look longer but I cant really say with out it in front of me.
How real does the holosticker and label look? Have we moved onto having fake AFA cases? I have read about the Fake AFA graded Transformers but guess they will do anything for the $$
Back to top Go down
Johnny U
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Johnny U

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:17 pm

Gorneesh wrote:
Its really hard to say about that weapon from this angle the Repro does look longer but I cant really say with out it in front of me.
How real does the holosticker and label look? Have we moved onto having fake AFA cases? I have read about the Fake AFA graded Transformers but guess they will do anything for the $$

Were the transformers faked or were the afa cases they were in fakes?
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:53 pm

Johnny, from what I remember about that, someone was making the labels themselfs to look like AFAs. They bought some cases from them and sealed them with the fake stickers in it. I might be wrong on that, but I believe thats what happened. I think ChrisB (RebelChris) or Shawn could confirm that. I think one of them started or posted in the thread.

Personally, I cant see why anyone would want to pay overinflated prices for a graded piece anyway. For the price of one graded figure, I could buy 4 of them loose and still have change left over. Now, if it is a rare piece, I could see sending it in myself to have it graded, but not buying graded. Just like with comics. The price some pay for common modern pieces graded, I could buy half the set run for the price and still have them in the same condition and be able to read them to boot. All in all, its your money, do what you want. But while someone has a slabbed book to just look at the cover or look at a figure standing in the case, Ill be able to read my comics and pose my figures the way I want to with weapons in hand. lol!

Also, I dont think Tom Derby is with AFA no more. Someone here posted a message from AFA stating that. I think all he's doing now is CIB, along with the other projects he has going, working on John Kellermans new book, etc.
Back to top Go down
Johnny U
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Johnny U

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for the info Chris! That is wild stuff the crazy things people do for money!
Back to top Go down
Gorneesh
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
Gorneesh

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:19 am

Thank you chris_j for clearing that up, I did not word my post very clearly.
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Gorneesh, you worded it just fine, to me anyway. You asked a simple question and I answered for you. Ill look and see if I can find that thread on the Transformers to post here. I think it was last year or 2009 when that was brought up. But there was something else about fake stickers, but cant remember what it was about.
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 1:03 pm

I hope you can get a refund on this or have AFA re encase him for you with the correct weapon. It's worth contacting them about to see what they say.

I'm not sure how many SW collectors realize how bad the Transformer issue is. We're not just talking replica packaging, but the entire figures, accessories, paperwork, etc.

Here's one site that shows how to spot them and some background info.

http://highendtfs.com/?q=node/52

When AFA graded a few of them, it was back when these were first coming to market and not much was known about them. I'd hope that now, one wouldn't slip by, but any TF collector should certainly collect with caution when it comes to MIB Transformers.

Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 6:09 pm

I can accept human errors occur BUT I would also expect AFA or any other company that makes a mistake to rectify it at NO cost to the customer. ie pay for postage both ways.
Back to top Go down
pomse2001
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
pomse2001

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 5:12 am

Sorry mike, to hear about the weapon and thanks for the warning.

I have never bought AFA and after this I will never buy AFA Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.pomse2001.dk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another AFA disaster???   Another AFA disaster??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another AFA disaster???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Watch Out Section
-