The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? Empty
PostSubject: Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures?   Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Hi All,

Sorry for the slight overlap with the content of my last thread, but I've tried twice to get these figures ID'd and thought I'd try a more direct approach as there must be people on here who can ID a Clipper Vader?

If neither of these figures are, can someone please confirm what characteristics I should be looking for in future? Is it just the COO and the accessories? If so, how many COO variations are there? (And are there any accessory variations?)

If a Clipper has to have certain characteristics in addition to a specific COO, what are they?

I really, deeply appreciate any and all help. I have tried researching this online. It is easy to find listings for and photos of reportedly Clipper Vaders, but they're generally light on info, or what info there is in the forum threads I've found is usually minimal and often inconsistent/contradictory. (I know this is largely because collector's get a clearer picture over time as they share info.)

Can anyone help? Pretty please? Very Happy

Best Wishes,

Jeremy

Here are the pics (I will happily take more if it might help?):

Vader 1:
Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? 2prsl8p
Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? 208gwhh
Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? 6jlmxs

Vader 2:
Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? N36a7r
Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? 2a5nqll
Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? 2w327va

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures?   Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Alex posted some close ups of a Clipper baggie Darth Vader in another thread.

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3346-darth-vador-in-baggie

Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? Dsc_4229

The COO looks like yours with the scarred out Hong Kong.

I don't have a Clipper baggie, so I can't check it for you.

From what I understood the cape has a leather feeling. I don't know whether it differs from the Palitoy cape.

Maybe other members with a DV focus (Bjorn, Tad,..) can chime in. C'mon guys, help Jeremy a bit!!!
Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

PostSubject: Re: Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures?   Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 1:40 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:
Hi Jeremy,

Alex posted some close ups of a Clipper baggie Darth Vader in another thread.

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t3346-darth-vador-in-baggie

Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? Dsc_4229

The COO looks like yours with the scarred out Hong Kong.

I don't have a Clipper baggie, so I can't check it for you.

From what I understood the cape has a leather feeling. I don't know whether it differs from the Palitoy cape.

Maybe other members with a DV focus (Bjorn, Tad,..) can chime in. C'mon guys, help Jeremy a bit!!!

Hey Mate,

Thanks again for the help! Very Happy

I think that's definitely a match for the C.O.O.. One thing that confuses me, is I've seen several threads where someone has taken a photo of a Vader C.O.O. and someone else has replied, saying that it looks like a Clipper and asking to see a picture of the chest plate.

I'm not sure if this means that there are figures with the same C.O.O. that are NOT Clipper as they have the wrong chestplate, or whether people just think the C.O.O. looks the same but are unsure, so ask to see the chestplate in order to confirm it.

If there are figures with the same C.O.O. that are not Clipper, It makes me wonder what the other signs are?

Thanks for responding and for the link. I'm very grateful for the help! Smile

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures?   Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 1:50 pm

Glad I could help you a bit. Very Happy

I can imagine it is the combination of the used mould (as indicated by the specific COO) and the paint details which make it a Clipper baggie Darth Vader.

I am not aware what chest plate details are expected for a Clipper Vader. But I guess it is pretty safe to look at Alex's pic below, as this Vader came straight from a Clipper baggie. It looks like the details on your first Vader are the same (as well as the COO).

How about the saber?

Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? Dsc_4228

Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? Dsc_4227
Back to top Go down
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

PostSubject: Re: Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures?   Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 2:21 pm

Dr Dengar wrote:

I can imagine it is the combination of the used mould (as indicated by the specific COO) and the paint details which make it a Clipper baggie Darth Vader.

I am not aware what chest plate details are expected for a Clipper Vader. But I guess it is pretty safe to look at Alex's pic below, as this Vader came straight from a Clipper baggie. It looks like the details on your first Vader are the same (as well as the COO).

Yeah, this is what I've been suspecting. The problem is I find it really difficult to match the paint on the various Vader chestplates. The mold detailing is all the same (as far as I'm aware?) but the chests are all hand painted aren't they? So there's loads of subtle variation in all of them. If it was something simple like different 'buttons' on the plate were painted different colours on some figures than they were on others I'd find it easier. I'm just not really sure which are the details I'm supposed to be matching? Embarassed Laughing

Dr Dengar wrote:

How about the saber?

The saber and cape appear to be a match. So it's just a question of the figure itself I think (?)

Thanks again, appreciate the help (both the info and the opinion.) Smile

-J
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures?   Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 6:48 pm

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/559012021phUJjp
Back to top Go down
Stargeezer
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Stargeezer

PostSubject: Re: Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures?   Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 2:49 pm

The Saber on th efirst pic seems a match, but i made some other pictures with some telltales.

The Clipper Vader is always on the left. I know this is 100% authentic as i took it out off a sealed box.

First the head is slightly looking down (see comparasing with a regular vader). (all 4 Clipper vaders i unpacked had this).

Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? VaderClipperHead

I wanted to show the saber here, but with my flash i did not work, but what i did notice was the difference in the hand.

Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? VaderClipperHandSaber

Also here is a picture off the Chestplate comparasing.

Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? VaderClipperChestplate

And a picture off the COO

Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? VaderClipperCOO

Cheers, Dennis.
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures?   Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 10:37 pm

Nice shots, Dennis!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
snaggletooth
Grand Moff
Grand Moff
snaggletooth

PostSubject: Re: Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures?   Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2011 12:49 pm

I've been messing with my vaders this afternoon and found a few things interesting.

These accessories are what I got from Alex out of a damaged Clipper Baggie he opened.
Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? Clipper6

The back has a small leather pattern.
Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? Clipper4

The inside has a smaller leather pattern and is lined
Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? Clipper3

These two figures shown here with the above accessories(right) also have the same COO as the one I received from Alex, also Discobob's 1st, both have the same sabers and there capes are made from the same material but are slightly smaller. I also checked this against my PBP/Palitoy and the cape is the same but slightly smaller again. I did pick up all 4 of these figures in Lots though so the accessories could have been mixed up.
Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? Clipper9

Left above alsomhas the same COO and chest paint as the one from Alex
Right fig below has the same COO as Dennis and Discobob's 2nd. Only the one on the right is slightly looking down
Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? Clipper14

Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? Clipper20
Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? Clipper1
Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? Clipper12

What do you Guys think, Is mine on the right in my 3rd picture a 3rd Clipper or something else?

Last edited by snaggletooth on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Discobob83
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Discobob83

PostSubject: Re: Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures?   Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi Guys,

Been away for a few days. Really sorry for the disappearance; forgot all about this thread.

Dennis that post is brilliant! Can't thank you enough. That's the best info I've discovered so far and will prove supremely useful! I really appreciate the help.

Thanks to everyone who helped! I'm genuinely extremely grateful.

Best Wishes,

Jeremy Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures?   Clipper - Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are either of these 'Clipper' Darth Vader Figures?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1