The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

DBRS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Johnny U
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Johnny U

DBRS Empty
PostSubject: DBRS   DBRS I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Anyone out there know much about the Dark Brown Rebel Soldier or even better have a character focus on him?! I was wondering if they were made in serveral places? I now own two of them and they have serveral differences. One has a wide stance and the other is normal. Other little differences like slightly different paint schemes and stuff. Just wondering. :scratch:
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

DBRS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DBRS   DBRS I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Wide stance IMO does not exist it's just wear or factory assembly, boiling water can give any figure a wide stance, the 2 variants of the DBRS are pale & pink face Smile
EDIT re wide stance:
[quote=AllanB]All injection molded plastics are rated with different shrinkage ratios (aren't we all.. lol..) which is the ratio by which the material shrinks as it cools after injection (well, it's actually a lot more complicated than that, but that's the thrust of it). And notice that the short legs flare out because of this shrinkage causing them to no longer fit perfectly, & no doubt it's this very increase in shrinkage which is also responsible for the shorter length of the legs as well (& note that the shorter legs even appear to be fatter as well in the photo, as the extra material has to go somewhere when the length decreases).

There are many, many "shorter leg" variants, other limbs, etc, & it's very common to see certain figures with one leg shorter than the other (& the shorter one often splayed just as we see here, but the longer one perfectly straight).

No doubt this was due to the use of a slightly different plastic or a slightly different mix during production, (or maybe even just small operator-created variations in mixes which were meant to be identical.. or unintended variations in production protocols or environmental factors..? who knows..) & then all of the different runs of limbs going into the same parts tub.

Hope that helps, & very best of luck with it.

- Allan [/quote]

Last edited by aussiejames on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Johnny U
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Johnny U

DBRS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DBRS   DBRS I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 1:48 am

James thank you for all your help with everything!! You are very wise!! I was wondering if you have ever heard of a character focus on the DBRS?? If no I would love to give it a shot!!
Seems very expensive though, and very scarce figure!! I think I saw that Wolff had more than one somewhere around in his pics.....hmmmm....
Any tips on starting a character focus??
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

DBRS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DBRS   DBRS I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 5:42 am

Johnny U wrote:

Start one around a standard figure and not a variation of a figure, that way you will be able to have a more diverse run.

If you chose the DBRS as your figure, apart from army building you have only 1 other option of what to collect and that would be MOC, he is found on a PBP MOC and a Trilogo MOC- both of which are extremely hard to find and expensive.

If you did track them down it would be a cool sight to see but then it would be just 2 MOC figures (albeit awesome ones) and 2 loose figures (the variations James has mentioned)

There is a guy who collects Yak faces and he just army builds, while it looks cool I think its a little silly if the figures have no real difference between them all.

If you were to choose the Rebel Soldier on the other hand you could include the DB variation and go after lots of other things as well Smile
Back to top Go down
Craig T
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice
Craig T

DBRS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DBRS   DBRS I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 6:07 am

The only advice I would add is:

Start a focus on a figure/character that has some meaning to you and not becuse it rare or expensive.

Maybe there's a character that you really like above all else. Or if you had the original toys as a kid, maybe there was a favourite figure that you took everywhere. Mine was Luke and whilst I sadly swaped/sold many of my original toys in the early nighties, I never sold him thankfully. So selecting a character focus was an easy choice with the most important and priceless varaition allready in the bag - the one I had as a kid.

It doesn't have to include MOC either. You could initially start on loose first - just to see if you happy with what your collecting. Splashing out on more expensive carded versions initially - only to give up and sell on at a loss when you release it not for you is gonna waste a lot of money.

Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

DBRS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DBRS   DBRS I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 7:23 am

Johnny U wrote:
I think I saw that Wolff had more than one somewhere around in his pics.....hmmmm....
DBRS Wnocoo
A character focus should pick you :scratch:
Back to top Go down
Johnny U
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Johnny U

DBRS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DBRS   DBRS I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 8:23 pm

Joe, Craig and James thank you! That makes so much sense! I will let the the focus pick me! I definitely wasn't seeing the big picture. I guess I was getting caught up in doing something that hasn't already been done over what's imporant to me. Thanks guys! Cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
General Kahn
Force Addict
Force Addict
General Kahn

DBRS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DBRS   DBRS I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 2:15 am

Well Johnny, my advice on picking a character focus is in a couple of parts really.

Firstly - I definately agree with the other guys, on letting the character pick you, for me it was Bespin Luke, it started with buying the blonde hair / brown hair variants that you see in all the collectors books, and 10 years later, there is 20 different ones in my collection, with still a definate 4 or 5 missing that I know of.

Secondly - If your also wanting a complete character collection and haven't already got one, finish that first! I still haven't got all the characters ( missing 5 ) I get paid monthly and have a limited toy budget, and you can guaranty that buy the time I get paid that some random figure variants will have turned up on Ebay or something and I'll end up buying them instead of finishing the collection.
On the flip side I buzz when I find a new variant, especially Bespin Luke, and I don't doubt I'll finish my character collection at some point, especially since I'm close to finishing Luke.

Here's a random idea I started toying with a couple of months ago, I noticed that my Luke focus and a couple of other figures I half focus on had actually got in the way of me getting some rather obvious variants in my collection ( brown snake Yoda, small head han ), so I wrote all the figures names in a hat ( minus the focus figures ) and every month I pick one or two out and try and buy variants of them, just a crazy idea.

P.S if you get your hands on a spare DBRS, please let me know, desperatly missing one!
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

DBRS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DBRS   DBRS I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 9:06 am

Joe_O wrote:
you could include the DB variation

I didn't realize I had a variaton lol!

Johnny everything people are saying is spot on. You'll just know what fits. I tried to make myself focus on stuff and every one of them fizzled out. I wanted MOC Droids, Polish Bootlegs, etc. and was not really committed to it becuase it was a manufactured desire.

When I got my first couple of foreign MOCs I instantly saw a path I wanted to go down. I enjoyed finding out what was out there, tracking down items, looking at them and it became the focus I still have today.

Someone much wiser then me told me once that you find true love after you stop looking for it. If I can ruin that lovely sentiment and turn it into a geeky one, you'll find a focus after you stop trying to pick one.

Oh and lastly it doesnt matter what other focuses are out there. If I had a Biker Scout for every Biker Scout focus, I'd have enough Biker Scouts to start a Biker Scout focus (which would then get me another Biker Scout) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
olisuds
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
olisuds

DBRS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DBRS   DBRS I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 8:34 am

Darthberizing wrote:

Someone much wiser then me told me once that you find true love after you stop looking for it. If I can ruin that lovely sentiment and turn it into a geeky one, you'll find a focus after you stop trying to pick one.

So true.

Darthberizing wrote:
Oh and lastly it doesnt matter what other focuses are out there. If I had a Biker Scout for every Biker Scout focus, I'd have enough Biker Scouts to start a Biker Scout focus (which would then get me another Biker Scout) Very Happy

Lol. Ok you lost me on this one though. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DBRS Empty
PostSubject: Re: DBRS   DBRS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DBRS

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1