The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Yellowing bubble - with a twist!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ratherchildish
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ratherchildish

Yellowing bubble - with a twist! Empty
PostSubject: Yellowing bubble - with a twist!   Yellowing bubble - with a twist! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 3:05 pm

So here's something I haven't seen before: a very clear outside bubble combined with a yellowing inner 'tray' bubble behind the figure.

Yellowing bubble - with a twist! Leia_b10

The outside bubble is firmly sealed to the card so there's no atmospheric air touching that inner tray bubble. And I think it's safe to assume that both the inner and outer bubbles have been exposed to the exact same amount of UV over the years.

So what does that say? Well I'm not about to leave my moc collection under UV lights 24/7. And I'm not about to store them in my damp and drafty beach compound over in Santa Monica Smile . But I do think this gives weight to the idea that the main factor in a yellowing bubble is not UV or air quality, but the constitution of the plastic itself.
Back to top Go down
http://ratherchildish.com
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Yellowing bubble - with a twist!   Yellowing bubble - with a twist! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 6:51 pm

ratherchildish wrote:
But I do think this gives weight to the idea that the main factor in a yellowing bubble is not UV or air quality, but the constitution of the plastic itself.
yep, hence why Tri logo's , SW & Palitoy for example don't yellow as much as ROTJ & POTF.
Back to top Go down
The Admiral
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
The Admiral

PostSubject: Re: Yellowing bubble - with a twist!   Yellowing bubble - with a twist! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 6:53 pm

I would assume you have checked the outer bubble thoroughly to make sure it isnt a reseal?

It does seem strange indeed or perhaps the rear of the card was facing the light and some parts of the spectrum can actually get thru

The plot thickens Watson
Yellowing bubble - with a twist! Sherlockholmes_wrong
Back to top Go down
ratherchildish
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ratherchildish

PostSubject: Re: Yellowing bubble - with a twist!   Yellowing bubble - with a twist! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:22 pm

The Admiral wrote:
I would assume you have checked the outer bubble thoroughly to make sure it isnt a reseal?

It does seem strange indeed or perhaps the rear of the card was facing the light and some parts of the spectrum can actually get thru

The plot thickens Watson

I can't call myself an expert but I don't see any signs of a re-seal. Seems like a nice orig factory job. BTW this is a Kenner 65 Back if that helps shed any "light".
Back to top Go down
http://ratherchildish.com
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Yellowing bubble - with a twist!   Yellowing bubble - with a twist! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:26 pm

Yep its quite common for inner trays to yellow before the outer bubble, most 8D8's go this way - same as Luke Jedi etc.

It really is mostly plastic breaking down but there is not denying UV can do some damage- however I honestly believe the kind of periods you would need to leave a carded figure in the sun for relentlessly before the card faded or the bubble yellowed would be a considerable amount of time.

Not that it's a problem for my Trilogos Cool
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

PostSubject: Re: Yellowing bubble - with a twist!   Yellowing bubble - with a twist! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:26 pm

Oh and your leia is not resealed Smile
Back to top Go down
Stargeezer
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Stargeezer

PostSubject: Re: Yellowing bubble - with a twist!   Yellowing bubble - with a twist! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:27 pm

At least when you sell it, you can honestly say it has an clear bubble. Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Admiral
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
The Admiral

PostSubject: Re: Yellowing bubble - with a twist!   Yellowing bubble - with a twist! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:35 pm

Haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yellowing bubble - with a twist!   Yellowing bubble - with a twist! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yellowing bubble - with a twist!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1