The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What if ....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:21 am

... You managed to track down a really rare item for your collection that you had been searching for and almost
immediately got offered a LOT of money for it , definitely more than double what it cost you..

Would you sell it to get that money? Would you keep it knowing just how hard it was to obtain ?

What if it really was 1 of 1? Would owning it be worth MORE than the actual value?

Just having some fun with a hypothetical situation, be interested to hear your thoughts!
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:26 am

If I searched high and low for said item and been waiting a long time to obtain it, no, I'd keep it because you might never get a chance to get another one. Plus the new owner might get buried with it and put a curse on it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:31 am

LOL!

I guess it is something you could regret either way, especially if the money offered is more than you would get
from anyone else (this can happen , if someone really wants it they will offer the world if they have the means!)

Equally I have had times when I wish I had kept hold of certain things (albeit not rare things) and also wish I had sold other things when I had the chance for a good price.

In this situation lets say you are not in need of the money but are quite aware this is an extraordinary offer for the piece in question.
Back to top Go down
coachk28
Force Addict
Force Addict
coachk28

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:31 am

Tough question!!! I guess it depends on what that item was!!!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:36 am

Ok Ill narrow it down...

Lets say its something that is probably 1 of 1, be it a rare bootleg or a pre production piece.

Also, for this post..lets imagine it cost you less than 1K but someone then offered you 2K so more than double.

Even if it was at market value when you bought it, there could be some slight increase in price over time but this
would definitely be the highest price you could ever get for it.

So is it the item you strived for or the cold hard cash??
Back to top Go down
jimmymindtricks
Force Addict
Force Addict
jimmymindtricks

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:37 am

if it was something that rare and i was searching for it , wich means i do want it why else waste my time searching

and to top it off i can buy it for much less the expected , then i'd def keep it bro

if a kid walks in the shop and sais jimmy i found a bag of toy's i dont need anymore and ,when i check it out and find a vlix on card

then i'd show it off for a while , then sell it
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:37 am

I made that mistake already when I sold the Micro Collection Snowspeeder prototype (which I did need the cash at the moment), but I wont make that mistake again unless one hell of a deal was set up to where I could get it back. But I seen the outcome of that happening on RS, so no I still wouldn't sell it, even if the cash was good.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:41 am

jimmymindtricks wrote:
if it was something that rare and i was searching for it , wich means i do want it why else waste my time searching

and to top it off i can buy it for much less the expected , then i'd def keep it bro

Well thats true I guess but what I mean is, you bought it for a decent price, at least market value so it was not
a bargain by any means, it just turns out that you get one of those "offers you cant refuse" kind of emails from
someone who either didn't know it existed or hadn't found it before you!
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:45 am

Chris_J wrote:
I made that mistake already when I sold the Micro Collection Snowspeeder prototype (which I did need the cash at the moment)

I remember that chris Sad I think you even went down on price by a LOT before it got a buyer, that really sucked
it was a neat piece for sure, do you know if its now locked up ?
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 12:09 pm

I didn't loose too much on it, but I do know the figure is locked up in Wootens collection. That was the only piece he was wanting out of it for his collection to finish his run of pre-pro figures. And it sure did look good in the display case I had it in, too. :crying:
Back to top Go down
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 9:00 pm

I honestly don't think I would sell. The only way I would, is if I had another piece in mind that would be just as rare that I wanted even more than the current item. If I had a one of a kind of item, I think I would only sell, if I was is financial trouble and absolutely needed the money to survive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 9:08 pm

shawn_k wrote:
I honestly don't think I would sell. The only way I would, is if I had another piece in mind that would be just as rare that I wanted even more than the current item. If I had a one of a kind of item, I think I would only sell, if I was is financial trouble and absolutely needed the money to survive.

I'd talk the guy to $3k over what I paid and ship it the next morning.

There is NOTHING in my collection that I wouldnt sell for the right price. Keep in mind all my stuff is production and to some level replaceable. I keep one of every figure so if I sold my carded Lili Ledy ERG for example, I'd just buy a plain MOC and use the rest of the money on something else.

Maybe its a blessing of not caring about protos, cromalins, hobs, etc..
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
Admin Use Account

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 7:21 am

I only collect production stuff so nearly everything i own can be replaced if i needed to.

The only item i wouldnt sell are my Canadian GDE Luke Skywalker offerless 20 B Back as its the only known example (to date after years of searching now) The only other example i heard of was a rumor that a beater of this MOC once existed in a Canadian vintage shop at some point in the late 1990's but no pictures have been found or tracked down and there is every chance it was the more common but still very rare 20 back with the fett offer so it remains just a rumor.

The other item i dont think i would part with is my Luke Jedi POTF Clear Bubble MOC it took me an age to track a clear bubble example of that figure on the POTF card. Unless of course the bubble turns yellow then i may ship it out lol but for now i get a lot of pleasure enjoying it in the state is was when it was first released.

As Shawn said i would have to be in real financial hardship for me to consider changing my mind.

Jay
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 7:50 am

Some interesting points of view Smile

Jay I remember when you did want to sell that GDE Luke you had it listed for about 500 quid didn't you?

Let's say that now you have decided not to sell but tomorrow you get an offer of 1,200 GBP.. would that not tempt you?

That really is an almost 1 of 1 , I haven't seen another but I guess with production there is always a chance, then again in that condition I highly doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 7:52 am

Darthberizing wrote:

Maybe its a blessing of not caring about protos, cromalins, hobs, etc..

In two - three years I am pretty sure that will have changed so I am quoting this statement to make you laugh in the future lol Wink
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 8:02 am

shawn_k wrote:

That's pretty close to how I feel, if it was sell a rare piece to obtain another rare piece I guess its win win and you end up with some money in your pocket as well.

In a financial situation I agree with John, everything would have its price and to be honest I wouldn't be looking for the highest bidder if I wanted to offload, in those times its normally first one to send the money wins! whatever the amount ..

I am sure there have been many people offered insane amounts of money for things they didn't want to sell and they caved, hell I know there is a collector on RS who had a pre production run who said it would never leave him and 1-2 years later it did, I don't think that was entirely down to just not enjoying the run! ($$$$$)

It is pretty good to hear most people aren't thinking about $$ signs with their favourite or rarest items!
Back to top Go down
chazgreentooth
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
chazgreentooth

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 12:59 pm

This is not a hypothetical one for me, I was offered more than what I paid for something that is quite rare because it had some sentimental value for the buyer. I sold in the end but only because I managed to track down and purchase the very same item the day I sold.
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 12:17 pm

If it was pre-production and I'd been searching for it forever, then no way!

However, if it was a production piece, then I might consider it. Wink

Of course that all depends on how often the particular piece comes up for sale. I have a few production pieces in my collection that I've never seen a second one for sale. They aren't in the greatest of shape, but the risk far outweighs the reward in this case. Now, if I knew where another one was, and the price was good enough that I could coax it out of hiding, then I'd be all for it! Smile
Back to top Go down
Grant
Imperial Gunner
Imperial Gunner
Grant

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 10:43 am

If I had searched high and low for a said item that I needed for a run and then i was offered double the cash for the item I would not sell it. Chances are if you have the spare cash to be hunting the said item you are not in financial difficulty.

On a flip side to that I would hate to have to sell off prized possessions to pay bills which is something different.

Sometimes owning a wonderful piece of vintage Starwars is better than having a heavy wallet.

Thank you

Grant.
Back to top Go down
Ronniebiggs
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Ronniebiggs

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 5:28 am

I would keep the figure and always remember the offer just incase times became hard and I had to sell. But I would try and resist the sale. It would be hard!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What if .... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if ....   What if .... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What if ....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Imperial Gunnery Forum :: Vintage Star Wars Chat
-