The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Star Wars in China: Episode II

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

Star Wars in China: Episode II Empty
PostSubject: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 8:22 am

(More Star Wras related stuff while being on holiday in China with my Chinese missy: Episode II this time. You can read Episode I somewhere else.

So Hasbro produces all the modern stuff in China nowadays? So tell me, why I haven’t seen a single Star Wars toy in any of the big warehouses in Shijiazhuang today? Shidjawhatthef*ck…Yes I admit, it took me a while to pronounce it correctly too, even a simple word like 'ma' (mother) can turn you into a little family drama when pronounced incorrectly, as it might mean something completely else (horse). Did I just just call my GF's mother a horse-in-law?
Anyway, back to the warehouses, there were Transformers, lots of Manga stuff from Japan, Barbie, Playmobil, LEGO, even a military LEGO rip-off with tanks, aircraft carriers. Star Wars was virtually absent. I guess the modern SW toys are just produced here, but Hasbro doesn’t regard China as a market? Well I can imagine, once you are successful here you have cheap bootlegs all over the place two months later. Why border? Coz I had hoped to get a cheap modern vintage likeBoba with removable rocket here to bring back to Holland. Keep on dreaming.

Though the toys are only produced and not sold here, this doesn't mean Star Wars is not absent in China, oh no dudes, not at all. The Force is strong here!! Even long before '77, Star Wars had already obtained an important position in Chinese cultural and spiritual life (see Episode I). So it was quite smart of G Lucas to release all movies here as well. (proof here). My GF remembers seeing Phantom Menace here in China back in 1999 (not a good start I know, but meanwhile she has seen the original trilogy on DVD too at home, and she liked it much better than all prequel crap. Very Happy ). That in mind, it would only be a matter of time when I would actually experience the strongly Star Wars influenced inner spirit of modern China. And today, while walking through the city, walking away my rocket boba frustrations, the big moment was suddenly there. There it was, painted on a wall of a local play ground. YEAHHH, Star Wars is out there in modern China!!! And how!!! IMPRESSIVE is an understatement. Very Happy

A disproportional X-Wing, let's call it a Chinese C-Wing Fighter
Star Wars in China: Episode II SDC16847

Star Destroyer
Star Wars in China: Episode II SDC16849

Somehow the frontshape of this starship resembles an A-Wing, what do u think?
Star Wars in China: Episode II SDC16850

BTW: you saw some funny Star Wars related pics abroad, pls go ahead and post them here!

Back to top Go down
http://TantiveXI.com
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 8:30 am

Recently I have been very lucky to pick up a life size Battle Droid based upon its appearance in Episode I. It was constructed by some skillful engineer students from the Technical University Delft, the Netherlands in the late 90s.

The droid is an fine piece of art work imo, and when standing next to it, you get impressed and even a bit scared by it. No wonder I let him guard my collection while we were on our trip to China.

Battle Droid posing with girlfriend. (Please no remarks abour the dachshund, that was her idea Very Happy)Star Wars in China: Episode II P100728_193058
Back to top Go down
ctscanman68
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
ctscanman68

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 30, 2010 8:50 am

WOW! Shocked That Battle Droid is amazing! :clap: I would love to have that guarding my collection as well.

But seriously how do you expect us not to make comments about the girlfriend holding the "Dachsund Blaster". That picture is just begging for a funny caption contest. bounce Smile

Brad
Back to top Go down
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 3:58 am

Have to echo what Brad said: Wow that Battle Droid is amazing!

Marco, what material is it made from? And is it all one-piece or do you have to assemble?

I think the 'Dachsund blaster' is the Lily Ledy version Smile

Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 5:10 am

Oh come on guys, I said no remarks about the dachshund blaster, and what you guys do... Very Happy

The battle Droid is made from wood, paper and even has some Lego parts to make the head rotating. Apart from the head which can be disassembled it is constructed in one piece.

Back to top Go down
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 5:23 am

Cool stuff. Lovin' that battle droid. No surprise the head comes off!!!
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 1:30 am

Last Thursday my girlfriend and I visited the China Central Television (CCTV) Tower in Beijing. It is the number 9 on the list of towers worldwide with a height of 405 meters. At 234 meters there is a restaurant where we were having our lunch, enjoying the slowly rotating view of Beijing below us.

However, after eating some strange mushroom icecream, my Star Wars mind could not help to see other things....

Star Wars in China: Episode II IMG_4774-Copy

Star Wars in China: Episode II IMG_4779-Copy

Star Wars in China: Episode II IMG_4781-Copy

Star Wars in China: Episode II IMG_4784-Copy

Star Wars in China: Episode II IMG_4774-Copy

Star Wars in China: Episode II BespinCloudCity

BTW, this was not the first time, similar things happened to me in China before. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 1:53 am

Mushroom icecream ? throw up I'm not surprised you started seeing things Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 2:26 am

aussiejames wrote:
Mushroom icecream ? throw up I'm not surprised you started seeing things Laughing

Hmmm that would explain things a lot. lol!

Star Wars in China: Episode II Mushrooms
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 1:00 am

:bump: 

Back in China right now to spend my holidays with An.

From her home city Shijiazhuang (close to Beijing), we have travelled 800 km south west to the city Xi’an in Shanxi province.

Star Wars in China: Episode II Route_10

Xi’an is one of the oldest city of China, and has been capital for thirteen dynasties in China’s long history. Among them is the dynasty of the first Emperor Qin.
When he died, a complete army of terracotta warriors was buried with him just outside of Xi’an, in the Lintong area, to protect him in the After Life. This army was accidently discovered by farmers in the 70s. Viewing the terracotta soldiers, horses, chariots, at present day is an overwhelming experience. Amazing that these statues were made around 200 BC.

Star Wars in China: Episode II IMG_0665_zps24bd406c

Star Wars in China: Episode II IMG_0658_zpsdbe38190

Emperor Qin himself was buried close to the Terracotta army, somewhere at the foot of Li Shan mountain. With him buried was a complete underground palace. According to legends his coffin is surrounded by 100 rivers of liquid mercury representing China’s rivers. His tomb is said to be surrounded by all kinds of traps, like crossbows automatically shooting any robber trying to steal some of the treasures. Moreover the mercury would also probably intoxicate any person trying to come nearby.

Maybe this all sounds more like a script for the next Indiana Jones movie. Fact is that archeologist have indeed found elevated concentrations of mercury in the soil by using modern analytical techniques, at the place where they suspect the tomb.
But sofar nobody has tried to excavate the tomb…...

Star Wars in China: Episode II Raider10

Below some impressions of our stay here at Xi’an:

Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0809_zps35be9265Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0799_zpsbdb58046Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0777_zpsdabe8831Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0762_zps391bab66Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0760_zpsa8833fdeStar Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0735_zpsb4e43e2aStar Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0734_zps282bcf2dStar Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0727_zps313e3c55Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0714_zps229168caStar Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0710_zps0e23e60fStar Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0706_zps78139842Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0702_zps8cd8b7a9Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0684_zps953f4606Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0682_zps4dce87c7Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0676_zpsb4b8ae6aStar Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0669_zpse416340aStar Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0668_zps21db6e52Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0665_zps24bd406cStar Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0664_zps5e2fe1fdStar Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0659_zpsea462f84Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0658_zpsdbe38190Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0642_zps26723f0bStar Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0640_zpsc915877aStar Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0639_zps41abfde8Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0637_zps0a183568Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0609_zps874a44ccStar Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0607_zps8a5cd448Star Wars in China: Episode II Th_IMG_0601_zps9865a732

Cheers

Marco

Last edited by Dr Dengar on Tue May 20, 2014 5:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dr Dengar
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
Dr Dengar

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 1:27 am

Staying on topic of this thread: Star Wars in China.  indy 

ARMY

Star Wars in China: Episode II IMG_0666_zpsd4fc3efc

Star Wars in China: Episode II Jessev10
Picture made by JesseVader08

BATTLE AXE

Star Wars in China: Episode II IMG_0728_zpsc822e51a
Star Wars in China: Episode II IMG_0729_zpsc3b41798

Star Wars in China: Episode II Nikto%20Ledy%20compare%20Kenner%2001

Star Wars in China: Episode II Dia3-13

Tomorrow I will go into the city, hopefully scoring some Chinese bootlegs. Sofar I haven’t succeeded in doing so, maybe we are too far away from the Hong Kong area, where probably most (bootleg) toys are produced, or maybe there is just little demand here in China.

Fingers crossed, I find something in the wild this time…
Back to top Go down
cantina_patron
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
cantina_patron

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 5:33 am

Great pictures and information Marco!  :clap: 

Good luck with the search for SW toys.
Back to top Go down
Section 8
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Section 8

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 8:28 am

Funny no one has cashed in by making some repro weapons for the terracotta army.  Very Happy 

Cool trip, Dengar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.familytreeman.co.uk
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 8:39 am

Can anyone else see Tiggy?
Star Wars in China: Episode II IMG_0658_zpsdbe38190
Back to top Go down
Section 8
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
Section 8

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 9:40 am

Wrong thread.
Back to top Go down
http://www.familytreeman.co.uk
ArtooDetour
Admin
Admin
ArtooDetour

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 10:56 am

Excellent pics Marco. Glad you're enjoying China! Good luck hunting down some SW stuff  cheers 
Back to top Go down
ourchickenshack
Force Addict
Force Addict
ourchickenshack

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 11:26 am

Wow Marco  jawdrop 

Some truly beautiful scenery and the Army is a sight to behold  cheers 

I have always been fascinated with Chinese culture and art - I can't wait to see more pics man  popcorn 
Back to top Go down
JesseVader08
TIG Benefactor
TIG Benefactor
JesseVader08

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 11:02 pm

Wow, what a crazy memorable experience it would be to go into China. Good luck finding some SW bootlegs, they would make some fantastic souvenirs!
Back to top Go down
http://galacticheroes.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars in China: Episode II   Star Wars in China: Episode II I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Star Wars in China: Episode II

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1