The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Real or fake ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
xxGANDALFxx
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
xxGANDALFxx

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 2:36 am

Any thoughts ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-STAR-WARS-MEXICAN-BIKER-SCOUT-UNPAINTED-LILI-LEDY-/270623687184?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0
Back to top Go down
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Tech-Models
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 3:04 am

Well, it isn't a test shot IMO. At best it's left over stock bashed together. There has been a few surface recently. A neat item if you get it for a cheap price, certainly not worth paying a premium for.
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 3:25 am

As real as a £3 note in my opinion more and more sellers are trying to sell fake prototypes on ebay these days Rolling Eyes

Important lessons for buying prototypes preproduction items -

1, Provedance - Ensure there is a full traceble / recorded / informed history back to the Kenner source (all genuine names selling prototypes / preproduction will be able to discuss and provide provedance on the items they sell)

2, Know your Seller 99.9% of geuine prototypes / pre production items are sold through well establish collectors via forums or major names on ebay / sites like Brians Toys, James Galloway, Hollywood Heros etc

As AJ said this is certainly not a test shot figure!! There are genuine Lili Ledy overstocks items i.e unpainted arms, heads, legs, etc out there but again when buying these following point 2 is important! Its possible that a figure can be put together using the overstock parts but i dont like some of the colours on the pieces in this auction.

Cheers Jay
Back to top Go down
tigerham
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
tigerham

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:09 am

But Jay, are the limbs and heads easy to replicate? Just wondering as maybe the limbs and heads of this one are real, just with different arms and body. Still worth a purchase if thats thwe case?

H
Back to top Go down
Plantman
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
Plantman

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:16 am

I wouldnt touch it mate without any background, moulds are easily made.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vintagetoybox.net
tigerham
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
tigerham

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:17 am

Ah, ok thanks for that dude as wasn't sure how easily these things can be re-produced. So no telling really if the unpainted first shots are real or not? :-S
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:29 am

Even if some parts are overstock (or at least authentic Ledy) there would be no reason that I can think of for them putting the limbs on a nien numb body, other than
to fuck around ! lol

The production of a figure is : head , torso and limbs, these I would imagine are produced at roughly the same time and are assembled so they know it all fits together ok etc (why put it on another figures body to say its ok then churn out 1000 to find they don't actually fit on a scout torso!)

Back to top Go down
tigerham
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
tigerham

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:31 am

lol... cos he's a dick? Wink
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:37 am

Real or fake ? 128855992823469309

Laughing
Back to top Go down
RebelChris
Force Addict
Force Addict
RebelChris

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:46 am

I think what you are seeing with this auction is some overstock Ledy items assembled together, both painted and unpainted.

There is no way that this is a test shot.

For $10 it's a a decent enough price as overstock items. However, you have to remember that is what you are buying... not a test shot (which really isn't correct terminology anyway Wink).

My guess is the NN torso wasn't sonic welded (or was at one point and then cracked apart to put the limbs in. Which if that's the case it isn't an overstock torso to begin with), and then the limbs were just added to look "cool". Smile

Sorry for the long winded reply.... I could go on forever about this it seems. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 1:12 pm

FAKE.....

just putting together Luke bespin arm, Han Bespin arm plus nien numb torso and strange white biker scout parts!

Otherwise....its too much work to fake the biker scouts parts for a 10 USD starter!

So Ill go for a clipped together Ledy overstock parts!...maybe the arms are not....but the rest could be!

Anyway...buy your overstock items as overstock...there are tons of ledy overstock parts out there!

Wolff

Back to top Go down
merlin
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
merlin

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 2:23 pm

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING!!!.....VERY IMPORTANT .....

By any meanings I´m no expert , but I have tell this story before....

I went to the Ledy factory when I was a kid , and at the end of the tour , you received an action figure or something else , ( my brother got a L.L. star wars action figure like that one when he went!!) .... they were assambled with many parts of several action figures and they were in large buckets so people grab them at the end of the tour!! , I also recall that Ledy give away action figures like that one to the poor people back in the early 80´s ...

Of course I can´t tell if that´s real or not!!! .....
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 2:57 pm

that just makes no sense! The parts are mixed painted and unpainted ...and what do you think is more effort:

To take a figure from assembly line that just was assembled......OR to assemble loose parts weiredly mixed up...searching for parts that fix, etc.!

To me that really makes no sense.......

I stay with fake!
Back to top Go down
merlin
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
merlin

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 3:17 pm

wbobafett wrote:
that just makes no sense! The parts are mixed painted and unpainted ...and what do you think is more effort:

To take a figure from assembly line that just was assembled......OR to assemble loose parts weiredly mixed up...searching for parts that fix, etc.!

To me that really makes no sense.......

I stay with fake!

Like I said before.... "By any meanings I´m no expert "..... & " I can´t tell if that´s real or not!!! ..... " ... I have to agree with you that is probalby a fake.......

But facts are facts and I was there , I remember seeing those figures assembled that way...and many of friends have the same memories , specially in those years where Mexican things had the worst quality ........
Like 4 years ago i wento to mexico City and I saw Arturo Soler collection with several figures like that one ( ORIGINALS!!)...
Hard to think as a Mexican ...where nothing makes no sense....But it was like that!!! .....
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 3:21 pm

No wonder they had so much overstock parts, they spent all day making whacky creations Laughing

I agree with wolff, in reality it doesn't make sense, however I can't disprove a memory as I am not from
Mexico and I have never visited the Ledy factory.

One thing I find strange is that I have heard this "visiting the factory" memory before but no-one ever remembers
where it actually was or can give an address/pictures Sad We even have a dedicated "where is the ledy factory" thread and
it ended up with none of us knowing much else apart from finding an admin building!
Back to top Go down
merlin
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
merlin

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Joe_O wrote:
No wonder they had so much overstock parts, they spent all day making whacky creations Laughing

I agree with wolff, in reality it doesn't make sense, however I can't disprove a memory as I am not from
Mexico and I have never visited the Ledy factory.

One thing I find strange is that I have heard this "visiting the factory" memory before but no-one ever remembers
where it actually was or can give an address/pictures Sad We even have a dedicated "where is the ledy factory" thread and
it ended up with none of us knowing much else apart from finding an admin building!

Joe... I undestand you!!! .... 2 weeks ago , when I was at the mexico City convention , none of the people I met in there went to the factory.... so that is why I believe you..... anyway , I don´t know how many mexicans you know or where they were born?? , I don´t have pics from the visit , but with some luck my teachers that went there will have some.... gladly I have some of them in my facebook and I also have the contact with the school I went with!!!! , will ask them later on...

JOE the factory was located in the following address: Sor Juana ines de la Cruz No. 33 Edo. de Mexico, Tlanepantla .... ( during that time it was considered far away from mexico city) , it was like a very big warehouse!! and to bad I didn´t see that thread you are talking about!!!!....

during Celebration V I didn´t attend any talks because I prefered to talk To people that work for Kenner and Lili Ledy, and it was awesome!!! .... they told me that they give away those figures at the end of the guided tour , because there were people behind us watching and checking everything we did with the toys !! ( kind of evaluating the toys !)....

I will post the answers of my teachers later on!!
Back to top Go down
merlin
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
merlin

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Already asked them for pics!!! ..let´s cross our fingers!!!

Updating....
( talking about facebook) ....I have 59 contacts that also went to the Ledy factory.....I hope that somebody has a pic of that!!

until later!
Back to top Go down
Tiefighterboy
Imperial Officer
Imperial Officer
Tiefighterboy

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 5:48 pm

If thats real....I have alot of figures I have to take apart and sell really soon. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
xxGANDALFxx
Imperial Commander
Imperial Commander
xxGANDALFxx

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 2:44 am

merlin wrote:
Already asked them for pics!!! ..let´s cross our fingers!!!

Updating....
( talking about facebook) ....I have 59 contacts that also went to the Ledy factory.....I hope that somebody has a pic of that!!

until later!

id love to see the photos Smile good luck Smile
Back to top Go down
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Tech-Models
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 7:15 am

Me too!! Post em up Merlin m8!
Back to top Go down
merlin
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
merlin

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Updating...........
I will post them as soon as somebody send me a pic... cross your fingers, because at least that was 30 years ago!!

I Already contact one teacher and she told me that she will look for them..... and she will ask the other ones ( other teachers) if they have those pics!!

Also a very good friend of mine will look for them this weekend, he told me that he remembered one from that day..

Transcription of both PM´s inside FB....of course they are in spanish!!..

Adolfo M.O. El 18 de agosto a las 16:45 Que onda mi Andres ,como estan??? ... espero que bien ... te quiero pedir un favor...
es una pendejada , pero recuerdas que el ITYC organizo unas visitas a la fabrica de Lili Ledy.... si te acuerdas??
tendras o tendran fotos de esas visitas..... se los agradeceria muchisisiismo!! ...Te mando muchos saludos y les deseo lo mejor a ti y tu famila !!!

SALUDOS! .

Cuco Rebollar El 18 de agosto a las 22:17 Uuuuuuutaa, tengo que buscar, como que me acuerdo de una. Espero que no te urja mucho, pa buscarla el fin de semana.

Tas bien pinche loco...

Gracias por tus ........................

Maricarmen F G El 18 de agosto a las 17:41 QUERIDO ADOLFO , CON MUCHISIMO GUSTO ME DARE A LA TAREA DE BUSCAR ENTRE TODAS LAS FOTOS QUE TENGO ALGUNA QUE SEA DE ESA VISITA , EN CASO DE NO TENERLA , VOY A PREGUNTAR ENTRE LAS MISSES A VER SI TE LA CONSIGO. ...................

Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:59 pm

I was thinking about this the other day and is it at all possible the kids that
went on this tour were allowed to "build" their own figure from scrap parts?

I mean its just a suggestion, makes more sense for them to give them a load of overstock
to play with than making up random figures for kids tours on a busy production line.
Back to top Go down
merlin
Imperial Admiral
Imperial Admiral
merlin

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 1:32 pm

Joe_O wrote:
I was thinking about this the other day and is it at all possible the kids that
went on this tour were allowed to "build" their own figure from scrap parts?

I mean its just a suggestion, makes more sense for them to give them a load of overstock
to play with than making up random figures for kids tours on a busy production line.

JOE.... as far as I recall, the figures were already there , in large buckets ready to grab them.
Also, like I told you before , and after the explanation that kenner and ledys ex-employees give me ( During CV) ,NOW everything makes perfect sense to me, they were evaluating what kids were looking for ! , their needs and most important which toy deserved their attention…. They want to see which figures were the most pouplar, and tons of other things……you have to think as a businessman …… not if it makes sense or not!! ….
Probably it doesn´t make sense to you or me ( now it does to me!!) but if you think as owner of a big toy company , you will want to see what kids were looking for!!! ….
On the other hand , remember it was the early 80´s!!! ….YOUR MIND HAS TO TRAVEL TO THAT PERIOD OF TIME…… Everything was so different …… It didn´t exist so many rules and laws like now ( specially safety procedures..there were practically inexistent ) ,…. I know is difficult to imagine that …….. but believe it or not it happened…
Back to top Go down
wbobafett
Force Addict
Force Addict
wbobafett

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 11:54 am

Maybe it was just simply giving away parts that were put off the assembly line becuase they were damaged???

You know: short shots, misspaintings...etc.

????
Back to top Go down
Joe_O
Force Addict
Force Addict
Joe_O

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:16 pm

Kenner operated in America, Ledy had the license to distribute and manufacture Kenners toys in Mexico, so there was no need for Lili Ledy to try and test the market, they were just producing what Kenner had already decided on (and by 1982/83 I am pretty sure they knew what kids wanted since the late 70's)

I have to think it was kids being given overstock or rejects to take home rather than the workers spending time making odd figure combinations and giving them out as souvenirs, I think a better memory from a toy factory would be an actual figure not some Frankenstein Shocked BUT I can also see them ending a tour by saying " and you can take home a part of a toy from the factory" etc , to make it a bit fun for them (and cost effective to give out rejects rather than normal figures)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Real or fake ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Real or fake ?   Real or fake ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Real or fake ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next