The Imperial Gunnery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

International Vintage Star Wars Collector Forum

HomeTIG.comLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Too good to be true??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

Too good to be true?? Empty
PostSubject: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 6:02 am

Hey guys, could do with some advice here.
A guy i didn't recognize (darkjediknight) posted a for sale on RS that looked good just as i logged on. I was the 1st view & immediately pm'd the guy. I know Wolff read it just after me, & pm'd the seller just after me (thru who's online feature lol).
Anyway, the seller was selling a minty moc Droids Fett with clear bubble & only a slight vein near the punch for $400, & an AFA80 moc Droids C3PO for $200. I jumped on the Fett initially, then asked if i could have the 2 shipped together for $550.
The seller agreed (a little too easily??) saying i could have them shipped however i liked, then changed the thread to sold (to me?) & deleted evrything in it (there were no replies). See http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=4260549&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1#4260549 for what's left of the thread. It did have reasonable photos of both (which i didn't have time to save), & i didn't get the AFA number.
The deal seemed too good to be true to me & i started to doubt it's authenticity. The seller is new on RS & only listed 2 things before, both in the last day or so, both mid/high end items, both underpriced & snapped up quickly. Interestingly enough, 1 was the Special Action Set 3 pack that John was pissed about losing to NEWHOPE.
I'm getting cold feet, & am not sure what to tell the seller. It has been left that i asked for him to send me his address, a paypal invoice (so i have something to claim against if it goes wrong) as well as any feedback he has & also copies of the original piccies.
I can't get hold of Wolff atm to see if he has been offered them too. RS is now down for me & i think the guy was about to head to bed anyway (it's between 3 & 6 AM in the states, depending on where he is).
What do you reckon? i briefly spoke to Andy Plantman on msn, & he said that if it seems to be too good to be true it often is....
Advice appreciated.

Last edited by Tank1252 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 7:04 am

Well I kinda had a weird feeling about the 3 pack before you mentioned this, I was strangely happy for John not to get it because it seemed weird. Perhaps contact NewHope & ask his feelings about the seller. Even through Paypal if he "disappears" & cleans out his account you're stuffed. I can always post on the RS thread ' I always thought it was better to leave pictures of a for sale up until the item is recieved by the seller? ' Perhaps pay a small deposit & say you'll pay the rest in a week or so after he replies to " i asked for him to send me his address, a paypal invoice (so i have something to claim against if it goes wrong) as well as any feedback he has & also copies of the original piccies. "
EDIT- it is dodgy he's basically never posted in the vintage section, I'll stir the pot on the 3 pack post.
Back to top Go down
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 7:39 am

Now both his threads on RS have been locked (before any more comments are added?)
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 8:38 am

Christian just sent me a PM on RS, agreeing it's either stolen or the buyers will receive nothing, he also 'sold' a graded 12 Luke for $400 Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 8:55 am

Yeah, i think my spidey sense was right on this one.
I just held off sending payment at the last moment.
I'm off to bed, i have one more pm in my inbox from him that i'm gonna leave to the morning.
In the mean time, if anyone speaks to Wolff or can contact him, it would be interesting if he was offered the figures as well, this could prove he is a scammer (darthjedi not Wolff lol).
Back to top Go down
DarthBerizing
Johnpaul Ragusa
Johnpaul Ragusa
DarthBerizing

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 9:30 am

Just what I logged in to post about!

There is something very fishy about this. On the 12A Back for $495, he not only deleted the pictures from the ad but from RS completely. I assume the AFA number might have been visable?

Tim - I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. I went from being disappointed to perhaps being lucky that I didn't get the opportunity to buy that 3 pack.
Back to top Go down
http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com
shawn_k
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
shawn_k

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 11:28 am

When I saw that 3 pack, I couldn't believe the price. I had hope you got it John, but as with most things, if it is too good to be true, it usually is. The situation is sounding pretty dodgy now, so it was a good thing that this time you were one second too slow. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerofthetoys.com
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 6:02 pm

It was left as pending, then he just relisted???
I see Wooten has got on his case now...
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 6:08 pm

Tim did you get a reply to your request for pictures, feedback etc & then say no thank you?
Back to top Go down
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 6:09 pm

Nope, just read it now, he was seeming to say that it was too hard, i was obviously backing out & he had another potential buyer. I've replied in the thread on RS.

Now moved to watch out section.
Back to top Go down
aussiejames
Admin
Admin
aussiejames

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 3:32 am

Now moved to the watch out section X 2 : http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=4261642&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1#4261642 it's not a laughing matter but this made me giggle " I bought the AFA Luke 12 back for $400, ION CANNON bought it for $700. Who gets Luke? Is he a time share figure" Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chris_J
Force Addict
Force Addict
Chris_J

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 4:58 am

Not sure about this, but I'm wondering if this is the same guy who tried to sell that 3 pack awhile back. Same figure combo and that jackass didn't have it either. Its just strange that two people trying to sell a like item and neither having the goods. I did a search on it, but of course RS's search function gives you everything but what your looking for, so I couldn't find it to compare.
Back to top Go down
http://alter-egos.forumotion.com/
Tank1252
Force Addict
Force Addict
Tank1252

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 5:13 am

Looks like myself & John both had a lucky escape. Other not so lucky. I absolutely hate this part of the hobby. Just let me get my hands on them... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Admin Use Account

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 6:19 am

Tank1252 wrote:
Looks like myself & John both had a lucky escape. Other not so lucky. I absolutely hate this part of the hobby. Just let me get my hands on them... Twisted Evil

This absolutely stinks to the high heavens of a scam!!

I glad your spidey sense kicked in Tim just before you sent payment unbfortunately others wont be as lucky i fear this person will empty the paypal account completely and even if they win a claim there will be no way the money can be recovered Sad

Golden Rule --

If a new seller is selling items for the first time on a forum for super awesome prices then it is to good to be true in 99% of cases so stay well clear!

Back to top Go down
sacko
Imperial Lieutenant
Imperial Lieutenant
sacko

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 11:44 am

A dead give away on these guys is to look at their posting history. Usually an "I like it" or "I totally agree with you" or the "I love that piece" posts. Clearly trying to up their post count to make their bars grow. My guess is no one will get anything Sad

Jason
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Too good to be true??   Too good to be true?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Too good to be true??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1